Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone used loctite blue on scope ring screws ?

Basic Member

No way, if anything use purple.

Maybe late to respond but if you read the instructions on the loctite the answer is no. There are instructions on it that match the correct product for the correct fastener size...
    For scope screw sized fasteners blue aint it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Harbor freight sells a suitable torque screwdriver pretty reasonably. Since buying one, and torquing all screws correctly, I've increased accuracy, consistency, and I honestly don't know why I waited so long to get one. Properly torqued screws are not coming loose. It's a cheap investment in accuracy.

Banned
    Actually shotar1, torqued screws can & do come loose for a number of reasons. Contaminants, grease on the threads. Overly stressful environment on the fastener in question, or vibration which can overcome the torque specification. Not to mention component creep. This is encountered mostly in wood & softer polymer components where the material fibers are compressed, allowing fastener torque to be lost. Vibration or other stress is typically also necessary for a fastener to come loose. However, my point is Torqued fasteners absolutely can come loose. While a higher torque spec makes loosening less & less likely, there is no set torque value; this differs from component to component & fastener in question. A rifle with Hardwood stock & Action screws Torqued to 35in.lbs. front & 20in.lbs. rear, is far more likely for those screws to loosen than a rifle with Aluminum Chassis & Action screws torqued to 65in.lbs. for Both front & rear. Likewise, certain systems provide a natural thread “locking” in their design. Scope Ring caps for instance, provide a spring effect between the two halves which puts counter resistance on the screws. Understanding all these complexities throughout gives a person the working knowledge to know when & when not to use Threadlocker.

While I don’t agree with those who thumb their nose to threadlock all together, I am no more a fan of the side coating the Blue-Goo on every single fastener they can!

Basic Member
    I started using Vibra-Tite red threadlocker. It dries kinda rubbery, but definitely holds bolts in place. It's pretty easy to remove too, no heat required. I think I got a tube from Amazon for about $6. I'll use either that or blue loctite.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    I started using Vibra-Tite red threadlocker. It dries kinda rubbery, but definitely holds bolts in place. It's pretty easy to remove too, no heat required. I think I got a tube from Amazon for about $6. I'll use either that or blue loctite.
    I believe you are referring to the Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. Careful, because Vibra-Tite also makes a RED Anaerobic threadlock, like Loctite 272, which is a High Strength or even considered “Permanent” in some situations.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I believe you are referring to the Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. Careful, because Vibra-Tite also makes a RED Anaerobic threadlock, like Loctite 272, which is a High Strength or even considered “Permanent” in some situations.

Yes, it's the VC-3....It's not the high strength. It dries very rubbery, but holds bolts in place after torqing very well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    Yes, it's the VC-3....It's not the high strength. It dries very rubbery, but holds bolts in place after torqing very well.
    I have switched to Vibra-Tite for several products. Their Blue Gel, Medium thread lock for various fasteners. And their 567 Green, High-temp Retaining Compound for the fit between AR15 Barrel Extension & Upper Receiver. The VC-3 seems like decent stuff. My only contention is it’s pretty low MAX working temperature of 165F. Where as any of the Anaerobic thread lock compounds are good for 300F. So the VC-3 is really only good for room temp components.

Basic Member
    I wish they hadn't done that. Saying thread locking and red, green or blue had very specific meanings. Now we have to read carefully if not buying Loctite brands. I guess I'll stick with Locktite cause I know what I am getting and how well they perform.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12