Thread: Help with new impulse

Help with new impulse

Hi guys i traded my old remington 700 in on an impulse yesterday. It seemed reasonably stiff for a new rifle at the store ( i heard they loosen up). Arfter getting home and playing with it for a bit running the bolt and seeing if i could get it to lossen up . Unfortunately it seems like it has gotten stiffer so i oild the bolt but dosnt seemed to have helped. Any suggestions? Im really starting to regret this rifle.

Team Savage
    What type of Impulse model ?
    I've heard of some models with sticky bolts, but all the one's I've handled were pretty smooth.
    If you have the bolt handle facing to far rearward, you'll end up pulling up on the handle instead of rearward to unlock it, causing it to bind.
    The bolt handle needs to be canted a little forward.
    Also remember that its a straight pull and it'll take a little getting used to to pull the bolt straight back.
    I use Kroil on my bolt and remember to lube the bolt release channel too.

SJC

Thanks mate iv got the bolt set at one noch past 90° ( strait down . I used a little gun oil but wl give that a go. Thing sounds like a zipper every time i cycle the action

I have a 6.5 hog hunter. I have noticed on mine if you do pull or turn the bolt handle until it hits the stop. The ball bearings will drag on the action. The faster you cycle when shooting the better, or if manually cycling be sure handle is reset the it bottoms out.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BearFootBowHunter View Post
    Thanks mate iv got the bolt set at one noch past 90° ( strait down . I used a little gun oil but wl give that a go. Thing sounds like a zipper every time i cycle the action
    One notch towards the muzzle or the butt stock ?
    Towards the muzzle is better, as when you unlock the bolt, your pulling straight back.
    Take the bolt out and lightly lube the bolt head ball bearings and make sure the bolt release channel is lubed too.
    It needs to be broken in and once you get used to it, your turn bolt rifles will be lonely.

SJC

Hi there, I have had my Big Game for about a week now after looking for one for about a year. I had the same problem you were describing and was starting to have buyer's remorse too. I have taken it to the range now twice and have learned some things that have fixed the problem, and I absolutely love this rifle now. First, when you are first putting the bolt in action, turn it just a hair clock wise as you are putting it in. This will keep it from binding up on the ejector (From the instruction manual). What others have described as the ball bearings not retracting fully and dragging in the action is totally valid, so you have to get it fully locked and unlocked when you cycle it. This bolt seems to like being cycled with some authority, I found if I was being too gingerly with it, it wouldn't fully unlock and then would drag. I've put about 60 rounds through it now, and it is very smooth. Hope that helps

Basic Member
    I'd have to agree about positioning the bolt handle one "click" forward of perpendicular, decisive bolt handling and lots of dry firing can yield noticeable improvement. Now, I had a conversation with the gentleman at Desh Ind., who does the bolt lift kits and firing pin bushings and he seemed quite eager to get an Impulse bolt to play with. I think that's what this rifle needs, some tinkerers who understand the basics bring their expertise to bear. Kind of exciting.

Team Savage
    Like anything new, the rifle needs to be broken in.
    I've fired over 500 rounds in my 243 predator.
    It was tight at first, but the bolt was very slick after a couple dozen rounds, lubing in the right spots and some bolt manipulation.
    The bolt does run smoother while being used in the right hand configuration, as the bolt release is on the left side and there's not a lot of pressure being applied to it while pulling it back.
    That's why it's key to apply some thicker lube to the bolt release channel, as the majority of the bolt is riding on the bolt release after the bolt head bearing's clear the barrel extension.
    There's no support on the right ejection side of the receiver.
    I don't see how any type of bearing will help stop the issue, unless their put into the bolt release lever for the top of bolt channel to ride on.
    Just use and lube it and it'll get better.

SJC

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    I'd have to agree about positioning the bolt handle one "click" forward of perpendicular, decisive bolt handling and lots of dry firing can yield noticeable improvement. Now, I had a conversation with the gentleman at Desh Ind., who does the bolt lift kits and firing pin bushings and he seemed quite eager to get an Impulse bolt to play with. I think that's what this rifle needs, some tinkerers who understand the basics bring their expertise to bear. Kind of exciting.
    RCE1Tried to message you back, your inbox content is full.
    To the OP, Have you had any improvements with the bolt operation since lubing ?

Is this something toothpaste might help smooth up? I am interested in this design but have no experience. Reading you all's content intently.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.