Thread: ed-u-ma-kation needed

grywlf52

ed-u-ma-kation needed

Hello all,
    After running a new 6.8 SPC II and ordering a can for it, I have decided to convert my Savage 110 (currently in .223) over to a 6.8. I have emailed several sponsors from the site here inquiring about barrels and have browsed some of the discussions.

Short of all of that, what do I need to convert my .223 over to a 6.8 other than a new barrel and bolt? That and what go/no-go gauges to I need. Two are listed 6.8 SPC and the 6.8 SPC Ackely improved. I want the new barrel to be the 6.8 SPC II and not SAAMI.

Thanks in advance.

Re: ed-u-ma-kation needed

A barrel mag box/follower and bolt head would be the main things you will need. IIRC, a gunsmith/machinist may be able to open up your 223 bolt head to .421" feed the 6.8 SPC. The feed lips on your mag could be tweeked to feed the 6.8.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

grywlf52

Thanks GACop. Placing the order with Sin-Arms. Hoping he can do the bolt too. Will find out when he replies to the email. Pulled the rifle out of the safe last night and it is actually a 112 and not 110 like my failing memory thought. Put it on the scale and wow, 16 pounds. 26" barrel and Choate SS stock and Harris bipod. Glad I am only getting a 20" barrel for the 6.8 Depending on how much it still weighs I may end up have it fluted. Definately not going to be a gun for stalking or hunting in the mountains.

hunter2

Good luck with the transfer. More companies are making shells for the 6.8 all the time. If you are thinking of getting rid of the 223 barrel, pm me.

6.8 will be a good 300 to 400 yard cartridge and recoil like a 223. Right now, Silver States Armory produces some of the best ammunition. Hornady shoots well too.

grywlf52

Agree with the Silver State. Have about 100. I reload my own and am using the 95 gr Barnes TTSX. Worked nice on a six point I got at 225 yards the first week of season. Trying to get out some more and continune to see the results. Factory ammo just isn't running hot enough for me. I have the SPC II chamber which allows for better velocity and hotter loads as it reduces the pressure more than the SAAMI spec.

So far no luck getting a bolt for it. Need it for a Savage 112 (long/short action - pulled it out to verify). No one has one in all of the places I have checked, emailed and called. Savage no longer make it either. Having issues getting through paypal for membership here so looks like the long boat and mailing in a check of MO to access the classifieds here. Anybody got a lead on a bolt in the classifieds before I make the decision to just send this bolt in to get opened up?

Thanks

grywlf52

After almost 3 dozen emails and a helluva lot of searching, I found a guy to do a bolt for me. $100-a bit high but he is making it and it will be complete with all of the pins, springs detent ball and extractor. I am sending him my receiver and complete bolt for size and fitting. He is going to true and time the action for both bolts. Total price is $250. Good news is I get to keep the gun in both calibers.

To be honest with you, a true and time for the 6.8 in a Savage action is really not necessary but, if your going to make it a switch barrel precision rifle it's worth it in the long run. Over all, the price is not bad working with two bolts.