Thread: Best Source for a Savage 110 Precision Action?

Best Source for a Savage 110 Precision Action?

Just retired in January and I'm wanting to build a .338 Lapua Magnum based on Savage 110 Precision Action. Been shooting a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM for the last few years and have decided to up my game a little and build an extreme long range rifle. I found Savage 110 Precision Actions in 110 Long Action Magnum at J/A Outdoors - out of stock of course.

Does anyone else have suggestions as to where I might find a Complete Savage 110 Precision Action? Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer.

VooDoo

Banned
    Nada! That he’s the place! I’m waiting for them to the Elite Action back in stock so I can grab one for a future endeavor.

Thanks for the input, Dave!

VooDoo

Northland Shooters Supply
    763-682-4296

You might also consider the value of a Bighorn Origin or TL3.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Are you dead set on it being a repeater? The reason I ask is because you can a 112 Magnum Target in 338 Lapua for a song compared to other rifles chambered for it. Of course it's a complete rifle, and a single shot, but you could change the barrel on it and the stock as well if you wanted something different. I have one, and it is scary accurate. I'd love to see what someone could do with it that's a better shot than me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Are you dead set on it being a repeater? The reason I ask is because you can a 112 Magnum Target in 338 Lapua for a song compared to other rifles chambered for it. Of course it's a complete rifle, and a single shot, but you could change the barrel on it and the stock as well if you wanted something different. I have one, and it is scary accurate. I'd love to see what someone could do with it that's a better shot than me.
    You aren't kidding!

Under $1000, even under $900 (Edit $800), in some places.

If I was in the market for a cannon...

https://www.savagearms.com/content?a=product_summary&p=firearms&s=22448

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/011356224484

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Northland Shooters Supply
    763-682-4296
    Yessir and nice folks to do business with too.

Basic Member
    Dont think you will like a 338 LM based off a savage 110. I used to own a Savage 338 LM bolt action. Great rifle. Shot very accurate. BUT, due to its light weight, you will get shoulder fatigue pretty quick. After 10 shots, my shoulder was pretty sore. I sold it for a RPR 338, which weighed allot more. Could shoot 3 times more before shoulder fatigue. If your build is for carrying for hunting, the lighter rifle like the savage will work better though. But if your build is for bench shooting, build a heavier 338 LM rifle.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    It just depends on how heavy he wants to build it. Savage's factory models vary in weight depending on which one you get. I have 3 338LM's (don't ask, I went down a rabbit hole lol), two of which are Savages and the other is a RPR. The 110LRH is the lightest and by far the most punishing even with the brake. It's not terrible and for a hunting rig that isn't shot much, it's fine because it's easier to carry. However the 112 is 12 pounds naked, so by adding base, rings, and scope, helps even more. I noticed the Elite Precision models are around 15 pounds which gets them in the neighborhood of the RPR. I've measured the Ruger in comparison to the Savage. The biggest advantage to the Ruger is that it has a larger receiver diameter and more locking lug bearing area for better displacement of the bolt thrust generated by those large diameter cases.

Basic Member
    Didn't Savage start putting the 338LM on a larger action due to issues with the std version?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Didn't Savage start putting the 338LM on a larger action due to issues with the std version?
    Lug setback. But I think that’s a pretty common problem seen using Savage Actions for 338 Lapua. I’m glad I’m not into crazy big magnums. LOL! Honestly, biggest I would ever do if I wanted to start EXTREME long range shooting, it would be the 7mm-300. 7 Practical. It’ll do 2000yds which is bout at far as I’d ever dream of doing. But, like I said… no interest. Thank Heaven!

Basic Member
    They didn’t increase the action size. Dimensions are still the same. However, they did make the ejection port much smaller to make it stronger. They also undergo a different heat treatment process for added strength, and the locking lugs are longer front to back for better shear strength. That doesn’t increase the bearing surface area though which is where you run in to lug setback problems. I haven’t experienced issues with it yet, but it is known to happen. It must not be too severe though, as you don’t hear of it being a major issue. I have heard sharpshooter talk about it some, but it still only seems to be a couple thousandths at the most (but can cause issues with extraction and in extreme cases headspace). Again, that’s where the RPR shines. According to my measurements the RPR has about 25-30% more lug bearing surface area than the savage which should help a lot with bolt thrust.

Banned
    Most I’ve known with 338 Lapua. Don’t shot ‘em very often. I’m willing to bet the overwhelming number of Savage 110 338 Lapua owners are guilty of the same. That likely has something to do with not seeing even more.

Yes, the Action is the same Large Shank with the added differences you pointed out. Along that as well, for those who don’t know, the Small & Large Shank Actions have the same Action diameter. It’s simply the threads which are larger size. The premise is to be able to still use a Barrel Nut, while having thicker chamber walls for the large magnums.

Basic Member
    Ok. I guess I'd go with a bigger action, but, I only buy guns I am going to shoot a lot, so a 338LM is not in my wish list :)

Basic Member
    Yep I forgot to mention the large shank size too. You’re right about the majority of them not being shot a lot. Guilty of that myself. Mine is just due to time constraints. I did know a guy though that shot a 112 a lot and had changed barrels a couple times. He could find no measurable setback on that one. Probably due to it being a single shot which makes it stronger still, not having the mag cutout. Part of the reason I bought the RPR though was to have a more robust action as backup in case I did run into issues with my savages.

Basic Member
    As long as you reload the cost to shoot one isn’t too bad. It’s not like shooting a 308 or 223, but it’s not as bad as you’d think either. Brass is the worst part, but once you get a good supply of it, it will last a good while.