Thread: Do all CF rifles require a warm-up before they settle down ?

Do all CF rifles require a warm-up before they settle down ?

Got to do a bit of shooting yesterday before the rain came in. I got out my Axis in .223.
    I'm sure it wasn't me, but the first shot was almost 2 inches away from the POA. This was only at 50 yards. The second and third shots started to tighten up. Shots 6 through 12 or 13 made about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch group.
    I'm not a hunter, so the first cold shot or so matters not, but I was thinking about buying some of the cheap steel-case ammo to waste on warm-ups. Do you think that makes sense?
    The rifle was pretty clean to start, getting swabbed about 25 rounds previous.
    What does your Axis do ?

There are things to help cold shots, or non fouled barrel shots. Most importantly is bedding and free floating the barrel!!

But all barrels are different. I have had some I simply clean and then fire an empty case with a primer in the case and that helped. But most I find after cleaning alight,,, and I can't emphasize "light" enough! But wipe the clean dri barrel with a lightly oiled patch, just enough to leave a slight film. Some prefer a graphite product like Lok-Eze, or other wet dri lubricants. I have found I get pretty consistent results using 2 stroke oil.

But the main thing is the fit in the stock, and the quality of the bedding, on out of the box rifles you just have to foul lube or whatever it takes to improve the cold shot, even on a good stocked hunting rig, I prefer to foul my barrel after cleaning before heading out with the rifle when that first shot counts!! It is standard practice with old M/L shooters and still a good practice today with modern firearms.

I hope they don’t need to settle down. That first cold shot is always the most important to a hunter.

I always hunt with a clean barrel - but with an alcohol wipe to remove excess oil.

Muzzleloaders as well. The lubed patch coats the bore on loading.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    There are things to help cold shots, or non fouled barrel shots. Most importantly is bedding and free floating the barrel!!
    I agree.

Basic Member
    I've had experience both ways.

My Axis came with a .223 heavy barrel. It varied little from cold (and clean) to very hot, about 1/2MOA total change in point of impact. It frequently grouped better when very hot. The first 10 rounds would go into about 1/2MOA. The last 10 rounds would still go into 1/2MOA.

My 12BVSS in .308Win was different. It changed about 1MOA from cold to warm. When hot groups open up a lot (3MOA) so I have to let it cool in between strings at the range. BUT, it is very consistent. Shots from a cold, clean barrel always hit in the same 1MOA spot.

And, yes, with the .308 I would use my 'off' loads to foul and warm the barrel. Usually those with the worst runout.

My new 6mmBR Shilen barrel also changes a little from clean to fouled (about 1/2MOA so far). Not sure yet if first round hits at the same place of not. Not important to me since I don't hunt.

Basic Member
    I am not saying this is the problem but I believe some of the things I have blamed on my gun were my fault. A lot of times I think the shooter has to "settle down" rather than the gun. My previous outing before today was less than spectacular. It could have been the gun since I cleaned it before going out today and it did shoot a lot better, about like I expect. I could have had a bad day or maybe the cleaning helped. I honestly don't know but don't automatically assume anything.

Basic Member
    Don't some hunters zero their rifles with a cold barrel? Even shoot cold barrel groups?

Here's a "one shot group" from a cold and clean M11 barrel at 100 yards. I always want to know where that first one goes.

A link because I have, apparently, reached some quota.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I used to when I hunted.

Shoot the rounds on different targets. First target is the first round of the day, second target second round and then a third. Then shoot the rest of whatever for the day. Clean the gun. Next day at the range set up the three targets. Same sequence. Repeat at least three times, usually five. After three, set the cold clean zero and confirm it, as well as check the next two shots.

Some don't clean in between and they go hunting with a fouled barrel. Just a personal choice.

Note that you will also need to write down the temp and wind for each session. Some loads are temp sensitive and you might see changes based on that.

This is all just another way of getting to know your weapon. The more you know how it performs, the better you will be at shooting on a hunt.

My first shots aren't nearly as good as the later ones. They're good enough for hunting inside 200 yards, and I've never even shot at a deer farther than that, but not good enough for the shooting I'm trying to achieve today. I always thought it was mostly me.

Owned a rifle once that started 4" off center, next shot was 2" and 3rd was 1". all the following shots would group .75" dead center. Shot it 5 different days and got the same result
    Easier to sell then fix that one!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Thanks for all the great input guys !
    I appreciate your help.