Thread: What's the best barrel length for .22 LR ?

What's the best barrel length for .22 LR ?

That is, if there is such a thing.
    For accuracy, many calibers need a little longer barrel. I see 22 long rifle, quality rifles, with barrels anywhere from 18 to 24 inches.
    Who's right.
    All in relation to 50 and 100 yard benchrest, not hunting or plinking.
    Thanks for the input.

Accuracy usually gets better as barrels are shortened — when using optical sights.

If one is using iron sights, the longer sight radius helps get better aiming accuracy.

23"

Only because my Rossi M62 (clone of a Winchester M1906 pump .22) seems to be the ideal length. I added Williams iron sights to mine and it is deadly on small pests.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Can you please substantiate?
    I hear a lot of theories. What is your statement based on?
    Will you please share with us with links to a particular testing, or a study with published results, etc?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Accuracy usually gets better as barrels are shortened — when using optical sights.

If one is using iron sights, the longer sight radius helps get better aiming accuracy.

On the forum rimfire central it’s argued to death. IMO the longest one you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Somewhere, but don't remember where, I had read that a .22 LR achieves maximum velocity at 16 inches. The article said going more than a very few inches past that can harm accuracy due to more chances for movement or barrel defects. Many "precision" .22's I've seen have barrels around 18" and are going to use optics. If using open sights, a longer sight radius will aid accuracy, so it depends on what you are shooting if you want a longer or shorter barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by olegburn View Post
    Can you please substantiate?
    I hear a lot of theories. What is your statement based on?
    Will you please share with us with links to a particular testing, or a study with published results, etc?
    Thanks!
    1. The shorter barrel is much more stiff than a long barrel of the same diameter. Than reduces the amplitude of vibrations. Reduced vibration amplitude improves accuracy. Do a search for “barrel vibrations and accuracy”.

2. The human eye can resolve the gaps on either side of the front post in open sights up to a small limit. Same for the level height between the top of the post and the rear sight. This is also true for the gap around the post when using a peep sight. That minimum resolution defines the smallest angle disparity the shooter can control with iron sights. The distance between front and rear sights combined with the size of that gap uncertainty defines the minimum angle discrepancy one can get with iron sights. A longer sight radius therefore improves accuracy most of the time since the uncertainty from barrel vibrations is generally less severe than the iron sight resolution. BTW Julian hatcher wrote once that the best one can do with iron sights is one inch at 100 yards. I have come close to that just a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by fv22 View Post
    Somewhere, but don't remember where, I had read that a .22 LR achieves maximum velocity at 16 inches. The article said going more than a very few inches past that can harm accuracy due to more chances for movement or barrel defects. Many "precision" .22's I've seen have barrels around 18" and are going to use optics. If using open sights, a longer sight radius will aid accuracy, so it depends on what you are shooting if you want a longer or shorter barrel.
    I’ve read that too but would have to do a web search to uncover the source.

The explanation for velocity optimum is that the 22 LR burns all of its powder in the first few inches of travel up the barrel. At some point the bullet starts pulling a small vacuum behind it. That and barrel friction combine to yield the maximum velocity with a barrel length close to 16 inches.

Of course, aiming accuracy gets better with barrel length when using iron sights and the velocity loss is not particularly serious, so long barrels tend to be favored. Optical sights make the 16” barrel rather interesting because optimum velocity is obtained while keeping aiming accuracy about as good as it gets.

Some great observations here guys.
    Thank you for that information !

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    On the forum rimfire central it’s argued to death. IMO the longest one you can find.

That barrel must be close to 38".

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    That barrel must be close to 38".
    28” and it’s quite with standard velocity. I love it.