Thread: New-2-Me 112 in 300 Win Mag

Basic Member

New-2-Me 112 in 300 Win Mag

I found a Savage 112 flat-back receiver at an LGS that was from an estate sale. It has a varmint profile stainless fluted barrel and is sitting in a choate tactical stock. This thing is pre-accutrigger, but dang that trigger it has is fantastic. Guessing in the 2# range. Haven't pulled it apart but guessing that is an aftermarket trigger of some kind. I was really nervous to see what the inside of the barrel looked like, but I scoped it and there was ZERO carbon and some light copper toward the muzzle. This guy didn't shoot this thing much, or it was super well taken care of, uncommonly so...

Serial # on this thing is F386000. Not sure when it was made but am guessing in the early 90s?

I've ordered an EGW flatback 20 MOA base from the Amazon that should be here by Friday, and then I'll have to see what this thing can do. I don't have any components for reloading magnum anything, so that gathering process begins. Meantime, I found 4 boxes of Federal Premium Gold Medal 190s loaded with Sierra Matchkings to get started.

I did notice this has an ancient bolt style with a flat blade screw to remove the BAS. Does anyone know if these older bolts can be updated, or if there is even a need to do so?

Thanks!!!

Banned
    Upgraded how? What is it you are thinking of doing? As long as it’s not the old recessed bolt head, than yes. Or, yes, you can physically take the bolt apart & put newer pieces on it… bolt handle, BAS, Bolt head, firing pin, etc.

Basic Member
    That answered my question, thanks! Asking about BAS from cross slot to hex.

Banned
    Oh yeah.. the BAS is no problem. I use the Titanium BAS from Lumley. It’s actually a Lift kit, but I got it just for the BAS. Or you can grab a new factory BAS one from GunShack.

Basic Member
    Thanks! Lumley kit for pre-2019 ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh yeah.. the BAS is no problem. I use the App for Titanium BAS from Lumley. It’s actually a Lift kit, but I got it just for the BAS. Or you can grab a new factory BAS one from GunShack.

Banned
    Oh, WOW. You don’t waste any time, do ya? LOL!

Let me just offer this my friend, just make sure to research things as you’re going. Make certain you don’t buy parts just because I or someone else here does. Always look over options. While I know I have the best parts for me, you may find something else more appealing. Ya know? I just don’t want to make it seem like I’m TELLING you what to get. I’m not. Was simply explaining what I use & listing options. But I always encourage people to research. I’ve never in my life purchased something because someone else said it was good. I always researched first. And I strongly encourage the same to others. And maybe you did already look things over, and came to that choice on you weighing your options. In which case, forget I said all that, LOL!

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    Serial # on this thing is F386000. Not sure when it was made but am guessing in the early 90s?
    Sticky topic at top of this sub-forum - Dating Serial Numbers with a Letter Prefix

And that was a good guess, yours was born in 1994. ;-)

Basic Member
    Appreciate the concern. I had looked at Lumley kit before based on your previous post. That kit answered my problem of the cross slot on the old BAS, which I'm not fond of AND I get a lift kit benefit as well. I'd found a hex BAS on another site for $18 delivered, so really the kit was a no-brainer. I know the chances of it backing out are slim, but I feel better about the torque you can apply with a 1/4" allen wrench. Anybody that has broken that BAS screw for the first time knows how tight Savage puts them on, which is probably overkill. As tight as I could get the cross slot BAS, it is really easy to break without a lot of effort. That made me really nervous, and I know this 300 Win Mag is going to feel a lot more recoil than the Savage 270 and 6.5 CMs I have experience with. Thanks again!

Banned
    Good.. I’m glad. I will say, besides it being 6AL4V Titanium and virtually indestructible, it is a beautiful piece. Best looking BAS, by far! I truly love the look of the Action with this BAS and the International Barrels Nut.

Basic Member
    Good.. I’m glad. I will say, besides it being 6AL4V Titanium and virtually indestructible, it is a beautiful piece. Best looking BAS, by far! I truly love the look of the Action with this BAS and the International Barrels Nut.

Got the Lumley kit in today. UPS notified me this morning it was out for delivery, so I had the bolt out and disassembled, ready to slap it in. All I can say is...I'll be ordering another of these for my 6.5 Creedmoor...soon. It DOES look great and it made the bolt lift noticeably better. Best thing is I'm rid of that 1994 cross slot BAS! Thanks again for the heads-up on the Lumley kit. Great price, looks great, works as advertised, and fast shipping. Home RUN!

Banned
    Yeah… I find good stuff Would love to see it.

Basic Member
    Yeah… I find good stuff Would love to see it.
    Let's see if I can figure out how to post a couple pics again...

Banned
    That’s it. Yes, I think they look great! The machining is perfect and the black DLC is very attractive. Not to mention, it’s Titanium! Do we NEED Ti parts on our firearms? Course not! But it’s just so darn nice!
    Glad you like it as much as I do.

BTW: I have one of Lumleys Ti Bolt Handles as well; equally as impressive.

Basic Member
    I've had this '94 Savage 112 in 300 Win Mag out to the range 3 times now and couple observations: 1) I like the pre-accutrigger much better than any accutrigger I've pulled 2) I wish I had been exposed to 300 Win Mag before I bought my 110 Elite Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (The venerable 1962 Win Mag with a 24" barrel is launching 220gr SMKs faster than the Creedmoor will shoot a 140gr ELD-M that is loaded above book max out of a 28" barrel. 3) Weighing 18.5-pounds really does help make the added recoil easier to enjoy shooting this thing 4) I can probably put off rebarreling for a while as this thing shoots well the way it is.

I have never been disappointed with any Savage rifle I've bought and that streak remains intact with this Savage 112.

Basic Member
    I've had this '94 Savage 112 in 300 Win Mag out to the range 3 times now and couple observations: 1) I like the pre-accutrigger much better than any accutrigger I've pulled 2) I wish I had been exposed to 300 Win Mag before I bought my 110 Elite Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (The venerable 1962 Win Mag with a 24" barrel is launching 220gr SMKs faster than the Creedmoor will shoot a 140gr ELD-M that is loaded above book max out of a 28" barrel. 3) Weighing 18.5-pounds really does help make the added recoil easier to enjoy shooting this thing 4) I can probably put off rebarreling for a while as this thing shoots well the way it is.

I have never been disappointed with any Savage rifle I've bought and that streak remains intact with this Savage 112.

Banned
    You said it man. A quote from American Sniper Chris Kyle: “The 300 is in another class entirely.” 300 Win Mag was his favorite cartridge by far, for work. He described it as a “laser”, saying “Anything from 1000yds & out, you’re just plain nailing it.” If I was concerned with extreme long range, I’d have a 300WinMag no question.

Banned
    You said it man. A quote from American Sniper Chris Kyle: “The 300 is in another class entirely.” 300 Win Mag was his favorite cartridge by far, for work. He described it as a “laser”, saying “Anything from 1000yds & out, you’re just plain nailing it.” If I was concerned with extreme long range, I’d have a 300WinMag no question.

Basic Member
    So much to explore with this amazing caliber and cartridge.. The factory loads and manuals all call for a coal of 3.340". With 208gr ELDM I measured 3.641 to the lands on my barrel. I shot some seating depth test rounds today starting at 0.020" off lands, looking for pressure. Didn't see pressure but did see improved velocities and improved ES/SD. Probably 3 or 4 more. Range trips before I settle on a load, but enjoying the ride!

Many old timers would rather have a flat back stagger feed. Some years and models were very smooth and had a very adjustable trigger with the wire spring. I am wondering if you have an aftermarket trigger.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    From what I can tell looking at pictures on the internet and youtube it is the old Savage 3-screw trigger.

Banned
    Yeah, that is actually a much better trigger than the Accutrigger. Granted, I prefer the Accutrigger because it reminds me scantily a
    2-stagey feel, & I do like safe action triggers. But head to head, the 3-screw is better. Another one I freely do trigger jobs on, and also make the lighter bar springs. Drop them in an envelope & mail to people. (Oh wait…I mean, I have SOMEONE ELSE make them then take credit for doing it… but it was my idea so the sane thing, right?) LOL! As the story goes being spread about me & the things I do.

Banned
    Duplicate

Many old timers would rather have a flat back stagger feed. Some years and models were very smooth and had a very adjustable trigger with the wire spring.
    +1

Have one of those.

Basic Member
    Sold a couple odds and ends around the house that I haven't used since I got into long range shooting. Just ordered a 30" Criterion Bull Barrel, 4-groove, 8-twist in 300 Win Mag from Northland Shooters Supply. Jim said this one has a longer throat to handle the heavier bullets seated out beyond mag length, which I've been single feeding anyway. They were a joy to talk to on the phone and order process was easy. Told them I read about them here at SavageShooters.com. Barrel is shipping UPS on Monday!