Thread: Scope mount screws

Scope mount screws

Bought a rail for savage axis came with small screws I need bigger any one no what screws will work

You need the #8-40 screws. The ones you have are #6-48.
    If the rail you have is a Monstrum, they may send you the correct screws. Those rails are supposed to ship with both screws. Worth a call.....
    You may also have to open up the pilot holes in the rail a bit. I had to.

I am going to ask, have you verified the screws in your action need bigger screws? If not, are you capable of drilling and re tapping the screw holes to the new size and pitch? The question then goes back to, did you get the rail that works for you?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am going to ask, have you verified the screws in your action need bigger screws? If not, are you capable of drilling and re tapping the screw holes to the new size and pitch? The question then goes back to, did you get the rail that works for you?
    There is no need for drilling and tapping the action. The screws he has are too small. The receiver holes and thread are bigger than the screws. Savage used to use 6-38 on their receivers. Somewhere along the line, they changed to 8-40. The poster just needs a couple of screws.

Basic Member
    You would probably have to enlarge the holes and countersinks on the rail/mounts if you use the larger screws. Not a big deal unless no experience with drills.

Basically there are now two different sizes of screws to mount scopes on receivers. The 'old' size is 6-48 and the 'new' size is 8-40. You can find both sizes at a Tru Value hardware store. They have a few bins in the nuts and bolts section labeled 'Gun Screws'. You may also have to file them shorter so they do not extend into the area where the bolt travels.

Thanks gents. I must have all the old stuff and wasn't aware all are drilled and tapped for the #8 screws. I have always been careful about the screws i use due to some rails and mounts having a non standard screw profile under the head. EGW has a certain taper. Weaver screws or flat base Allen head cap screws are a hack in the egw bases. But POI has always been a concern of mine. Good luck OP
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Mine have all been 6-48. Even my current full built model 10. I’ve thought of going to 8-40’s or M5-.8, but I haven’t because it’s just not needed. It’s only a problem if the screws are questionable quality or under the heaviest recoil, and perhaps when very large & heavy scopes are used. Nether of which being the case on my rifle. Nothing wrong with up in size.. (I like overbuilt after all). But it should only be done by someone experienced. Using a hand drill doesn’t scream “precision”. Whatever might be gained in potential strength, can easily be sacrificed for misalignment. But if I were to do it, I’m going right to M5 Titanium screws. But that’s just me.

The last rail I ordered came with both sets of screws. You probably should have gotten two sets with yours.