Thread: Savage Axis II Precision 6.5 Creedmoor caliber change to 308 Win

Savage Axis II Precision 6.5 Creedmoor caliber change to 308 Win

Hi Everyone,

Can an experienced shooter advise whether I can change my current Savage Axis II Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor to 308 Winchester with ONLY a barrel change? The bolt doesn't need to changed? After researching, I should be able too but it seems too simple..... Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Savage Axis II Precision 6.5 Creedmoor caliber change to 308 Win

Yea. The .30 is the parent case.
    Cheers
    You need some go no go gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Correct. Barrel swap is all that’s needed. I gotta ask though… why do you want to swap 6.5 for 308?

Basic Member
    Yes- you have a very large number of cartridges you could use with the "standard" size bolt face- including the 308. For the most part- the popular cartridges use 1 of three sizes. The smallest is the 223, 204 300 blk out etc. Then the standard that includes the 308 and 30-06 and all of their offspring and many many more. Then the mag bolt face- 300wm- all the rum cartridges etc.

A few (such as 224 valkyrie- 6mm arc) use a mid size between the small and standard bolt face but not many. And then you have the big ones such as the 338 Lapua and even bigger with the cheytac but they generally use a larger action than savage makes.

With 308 ammo being around $15 a box here and the 6.5cm being $40-- I can understand the switch.

Hi, Thanks for answering my question.

1. Cheapest 6.5 Creedmoor costs me 24$ a box. Cheapest 308 Win costs me 14$ a box. I live in California FYI.....
    2. I just bought a Dillion XL 750, and the cost of 308 Brass is MUCH CHEAPER than 6.5 Creedmoor that have been fired already.
    3. The range I go to has 600 yards max. It doesn't make sense to shoot 6.5 Creedmoor. The benefits that the 6.5 Creedmoor has over the 308 Win is only seen past 1000 yards.
    4. I can't consistently hit targets at 500 yards......with a 6.5 creedmoor....so yeah.....:/

I will build 6.5 Creedmoor remage bolt action rifle when I have the skill to wield it. For now, I rather think financially because shooting 308 Win is the most logically way for me to increase my skills.

Yes sir!

Basic Member
    I understand the swap if accuracy is not a concern. Those $14 boxes of ammo just aren't that accurate. But, it all depends on what you want to hit. If it is a 'coffin' type gong at 600 then the cheap ammo will do. If you want to hit soda cans you'll need to buy the expensive .308 ammo (or make your own with good bullets).

The cheaper ammo will also give you more issues when trying to learn to shoot well, ie, you won't be able to tell when you are doing something right or wrong.

I started out my recent rifle addiction with a .223 because I thought it would be cheap to shoot. But, I found the cheap stuff was not that accurate. Even reloads with cheap bullets were not accurate 'enough'.

Brass cost is a non issue. 6.5CM, especially with small primers, will last a long time. I used Lapua brass in my .308 and .223. Cost double but it was good for 20 reloads. That's 2000 rounds.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to reload, stick with the 6.5. The lower recoil will make it easier to shoot accurately.

Banned
    I agree with Charlie. Cheap ammo is a way to learn shooting “habits”, but not accuracy potential increase. If you just picked up a press, then it seems you’re serious about reloading. Brass is a non factor in reloading. Might make a difference with handgun, but not bolt action rifle. You’ll understand when you start doing it.

Nothing wrong with 308, but if cost is the reason, just getting the cost back on the barrel swap will take a long time. And eventually, you will want to go with 6.5 or 6mm anyway. Just what we are telling you from some experience in this.

Basic Member
    And unless you are using palma brass, good luck finding large primers....and .308 class powder.

Basic Member
    The 308 went from being the most over appreciated cartridge in the world to the most disrespected in just a few years. It really is quite impressive how it fell from grace..... look at older posts on a forum. Every new shooter that asked what they should get for a new rifle was told 308- and now every person that shoots a 308 is told they should get something else. Yes- huge list of cartridges that can outperform it- but it is still a good performer at 1000 yrds and 600 is a cakewalk.

If you shoot a lot then the cost of the new barrel will quickly be paid for in barrel life- not even taking in the ammo cost. The barrel life will be at least double a 6.5 cm (probably more). Also- the 308 probably has more powders that will work for it than 95% of the cartridges around.

Basic Member
    I don't disagree with the .308 being good. I've only put 4500 rounds through my .308 barrel so far :) But, I can shoot the 6BR much better just due to less recoil. I considered the 6.5CM and 6CM but the littler cartridge does what I need.

The 6.5CM will also have less recoil, especially compared to the common 1000yd .308 loads (eg, 175gn SMK).

So, I'd keep the 6.5CM until it wears out, then decide what cartridge you want the new barrel to be.

OTOH, if you want to change barrels now, .308 is not a bad choice, especially if you shoot 1000yd and less.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    And unless you are using palma brass, good luck finding large primers....and .308 class powder.

The primer situation is past ridiculous. What has it been, 2 1/2 years now and still no primers or very few. I guess you can get them if you pay over twice the inflated list price but I am not going to do that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    The primer situation is past ridiculous. What has it been, 2 1/2 years now and still no primers or very few. I guess you can get them if you pay over twice the inflated list price but I am not going to do that.
    Companies that make primers said last year that they would not be selling any to the retail market in 2022.

Banned
    I’m keeping all spent primers now & going to Re-charge them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m keeping all spent primers now & going to Re-charge them as well.
    I'm interested to know how that works out. I've not tried that yet but have watched a few videos about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk