Thread: What’s not love about Striker

What’s not love about Striker

I’ve been fooling with specialty pistols since 1979 when I bought my first contender. I still own contenders, XP 100s and Strikers. The contenders and Xp 100 are mainly use for silhouette shooting. But when I’m planning to shoot 600 or 1K I’ll pick up a Striker, Why because their like me big, heavy and ugly. And with out modifications other than little trigger work and a good Quality aftermarket barrel( which I can install myself) in the right caliber they’re ready to go 600 or 1000. Yes you can get all the bells and whistles for an XP but I’m not a bells and whistles guy. I think the big ugly factory stock is good for long range shooting especially if you’re not Entering it in a Beauty contest. I think they made 3 trigger set ups. One was bad, one was awful and one was manageable. The one I like best is the one with the roller, you can lighten the spring wire and adjust in as a two stage trigger like it was designed to be and I like the feel two stage triggers it’s still heavy compared to what most long range shooter prefer but I like to “feel” the trigger and if it’s smooth the extra weight does not matter to me. Caliber can be a personal choice I’ve owned Strikers in a lot of calibers the three I have now are 6.5 \284, 223 and by far my favorite 6 Brx all after market(McGowen) which I just order my 3rd BrX barrel from them the 1st got replaced at 2700 rounds the 2nd has 1500 and I went ahead an order because of the way things are now with long lead time I will have it when I feel like I need to change. Why the Brx I feel like in a 16” barrel it the ideal round for long range shooting. The recoil is manageable without a brake and I have proved time and time again it’s capable at 1k. Why a BrX and not a “Dasher” the same performance and I like the fact that it’s called the poor man’s Dasher and I’ve heard “ me and my Dasher” enough that it’s a status symbol lol
    all this is just my $0.02 and if you read it all you must be bored. In closing there is nothing I enjoy more that being at a range plinking steel targets and the person beside you with his pretty rifle, mad because your hitting more plates than him with a very ugly Striker.
    Have a nice weekend
    6BrX

Basic Member
    Great post by a gentleman that obviously knows his way around specialty pistols. I started with Contenders in the middle 70s, then added Encores, then XP's, then one built off a Savage PTA, then one built off a single shot Rem 700 action. A few of the guys I was around had Strikers so I was aware of their trigger reputation. A couple years ago I stumbled across a as new Striker in 22-250 for 300 bucks. After a day or two of deliberation I bought it for not much more than just wanting to see what I could do with the trigger. Luckily for me it was a early one with the roller. I learned a lot about Striker triggers with this one. When I pulled the stock off the first thing I noticed was everything was dry and the roller was stuck. I used Pro Shot friction proofing oil and TW25 grease. It takes time to condition dry metal. You can crank the adjusting screws until your blue in the face and the cows come home but the trigger adjustment will absolutely not respond until you change the torsion wire. This one is currently at a smooth and crisp 39-40 oz. It will go lower but at about 36 oz the safety will not engage. Other than the trigger adjustment his one is bone stock and I intend to leave it that way. It is kind of a ugly duckling but I've come to appreciate it and the left hand bolt off the bench plus I'm not worried about smoking the barrel if I get that lucky. I've sat next to guys shooting the BRX in XPs to 1K, it is truly an amazing little cartridge.

Good shooting to you 6BRX

Well I’m not 6BrX anymore because of the hassle of my password getting lose and trying to recover Sooo I’m now Gadget
    surely someone Other than me and Iowa Fox fools with Strikers
    talk to us!

I like the Strikers also. Have a few and wouldn’t mind a couple more. I’ve never thought they are ugly and actually like the looks of em. The grip feels great but I’d like a little more reach to the trigger, although it’s not difficult to get accustomed to the short distance.

Although I don't currently own a Striker, I have in the past, mine was a Super Striker in .308 that was wonderfully accurate and I cut down a M10 .243 barrel that shot even better than the .308. I would still have it but I just couldn't get my hand to work in the thumb hole stock so I traded it off. I wouldn't be opposed to getting another as long as it didn't have the wrong handle on it.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    I'm with BT, I rather like the looks of my Striker, stainless with the grey laminate center grip. Fits my paws pretty well to boot.

Have had a Striker with the roller trigger for a while. They are hard to get a good trigger on that won't slam fire, and mine will drop an empty if you don't work the bolt with some force. I have also had 3-4 bolt head pins break which can, will lock things up for awhile. My gun uses the older large bolt head pin. The [new]owners of Savage will not work on them and do not carry parts so I buy the pins 5 at a time when I can find them. Love the gun and how it shoots,[ mine is a 308] so put up with the quirks. It likes mid range loads of IMR 4895 and about any 165 gr bullet I have fed it. I did have to sand the molded line off of the left side of the stock so it would quit chewing on my thumb.

I purchased a Striker in 243 Win. back in 08 for my wife to hunt with, I think she hunted with it two years, ever since then, it's sat in the safe. I had it painted, and she seemed to have a renewed love for it, but then she gave up hunting before it ever went back out. As soon as I get enough posts, I plan to list it here for sale. I had listed it over on Specialty Pistols a few years back, but Strikers could sit in the classifieds there without as much interest as the Contenders and XP's. If any of you guys are truely interested in another one, it will be listed here in the coming weeks or so. Here's what it looks like, painted by 257rob over on SP:

Basic Member
    Ive had a couple strikers since they first came out. 308 stainless with Brake and a 243 blue. Having small hands they work well for me unlike a lot of the custom stocks on the xp's. got a few of those also mostly wearing oem plastic stocks because the of the long reach , for me ,on most of custom stuff.

Nothing, been playing ,shooting, and hunting with them for 22.yrs. I prefer the center grip over the rear.
    Soon to add a new Wilson barrel, and Wildcat in 257.caliber called Durham Jet/40.

Basic Member
    I can't believe it! Real striker guys here.

1/4 can you describe the Durham Jet/40 for us.

Sure-In vol.1 Ack book , it's an Ack.Imp., but found out from reamer Co. it only has a 37 deg.shoulder. so it was designed w/ the 40. This is why it is not called the Aky.Imp. Based on any 308 based cases. MORE or less a 257 Souper. IMP. NECK should end up .437 -.450
    DIES ARE REDDING AND REAMER IS BEING MADE. Should be close to Robert's.
    Could not see buying other case, while having so many 243,260 and 308 cases.

Basic Member
    What's not to love about strikers?

Just the sad fact that I don't have one. Lol

If I did I'd like to have a 243 win.

One of mine 6BrX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	9538

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
    What's not to love about strikers?

Just the sad fact that I don't have one. Lol

If I did I'd like to have a 243 win.
    You will like it when you get it. Quite some time ago I read that Walt Berger made the statement that if a 243 won't shoot with IMR3031 it won't shoot. I had plenty of it on hand and the books had loads for it. He was right! It is superb in a 15"barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	537.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	9546
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160713_153826.jpg  
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor