Thread: Have MSR rifles been discontinued??

Basic Member

Have MSR rifles been discontinued??

I am the happy owner of three Savage rifles. My first was the model 12FV in .308 that I moved to a Boyd laminate stock with a Mueller scope and DNZ mounts. A solid reliable sub MOA rifle. I then bought the MSR 10 Precision also in 308. I added the Accutech bipod and an Arken scope, It is very heavy but I only shoot it from the bench. I was ringing steel at 500 yrs first time out. My most recent purchase was the MSR 15 recon in >223 Wylde. never a failure of any kind.

My question is, has Savage discontinued the MSR line? I don't see any of them on their web sight. I hope I well be able to get service or parts if I need them. Anyone have any input?

Banned
    Not something I’ve heard. However, I promise parts & service won’t be an issue regardless. The MSR line are nothing more than run of mill AR10 & AR15 rifles. AR parts will fit the MSR line without fail. In fact., Savage is using the same exact parts as every other AR manufacturer. I can prove this. Below are 2 pictures. The first is a Savage MSR-15, & the 2nd is my own custom built AR15. I’m the manufacturer. I built this using an 80 Lower which I finish machined. This is how I build all ARs now, & have been the last several years.

Savage MSR-15

My Custom Built AR-15

See the red circle? That’s called a Forge Mark. It’s an identifier of the Foundry Forge that made the part. All AR manufacturers are pretty much assemblers. Only a few make any parts at all. And almost all of even them make no more than maybe 5-10% of the total parts number. I don’t believe Savage makes any individual parts, rather they outsource direct. Likely they finish machine some parts. (Like I do, just on a much larger scale than myself.) The Forge Marks in this case are Squares. Which is the identifier for the company Brass/Aluminum Forging Enterprises. These are the Uppers I decided on years ago, and have been using only them since 2014 for my AR builds. So yeah… you’ll be ok for parts.

Basic Member
    I also noticed the absence of and MSRs on their site last week so I called to see if they had been discontinued but auto recording said they were closed. So I called again today and the guy said "No they weren't discontinued". Told him there's no MSRs, 15s or 10s, on site anymore and he responded with " they were behind on receiving parts to build them so they took them down till they have enough to assemble more for sale". WHATEVER.

My Recon has been solid and is probably my most accurate AR I own.

Yep, they're discontinued.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Not something I’ve heard. However, I promise parts & service won’t be an issue regardless. The MSR line are nothing more than run of mill AR10 & AR15 rifles. AR parts will fit the MSR line without fail. In fact., Savage is using the same exact parts as every other AR manufacturer. I can prove this. Below are 2 pictures. The first is a Savage MSR-15, & the 2nd is my own custom built AR15. I’m the manufacturer. I built this using an 80 Lower which I finish machined. This is how I build all ARs now, & have been the last several years.
    That's true for the MSR15 rifles Dave, but the MSR10's are proprietary as the receivers are roughly 3/4" shorter in length than standard AR10 receivers. As such at a minimum the charging handle and bolt carrier are unique to Savage on the 10's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That's true for the MSR15 rifles Dave, but the MSR10's are proprietary as the receivers are roughly 3/4" shorter in length than standard AR10 receivers. As such at a minimum the charging handle and bolt carrier are unique to Savage on the 10's.
    Yes, they are “Small Frame” AR10’s. DPMS, POF, Ruger, Remington & ZEV are also making SF-10’s. And aftermarket parts companies have jumped right on. Now… if Savage has made the MSR10 completely proprietary, I certainly wouldn’t want one! The rest of the manufacturers have agreed to follow the same basic guidelines that have always surrounded the AR10 rifles, (Armalite & DPMS differences, but not everything.)