Thread: Aftermarket Cheek Pad Suggestions

Aftermarket Cheek Pad Suggestions

Warning: Noob question straight ahead. If I do move ahead on a MII FV-SR, it's an economy move. I'll leave it stock. Waiting on a Labor Day, Veteran's Day, or Black Friday sale (hopefully) for the rifle itself. However, it will definitely get a scope, and I'm already thinking of aftermarket cheek pads. Although not apparently that expensive, like pistol holsters, it might be very easy to "collect" a half dozen or more, trying to find the right one. Any suggestions or experiences? Fit and quality? proper length straps? Little storage pockets, or not? Stays put on the stock? Any other suggestions welcome.

Basic Member
    I put one of these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024069441?pid=304164 on my model 10 in .223 and I love it. Products like these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319156890?pid=156890 are (IMHO) junk. I have one of these that doesn't make a decent door stop.

Basic Member
    I have both the Kydex cheek riser that requires 2 horizontal holes to be drilled in the stock -

as well as the Victor Titan Universal cheek riser that mounts with 2 screws vertically -

The Kydex is more adjustable, but the holes required are rather large. The Titan uses plates stacked under the top piece to adjust height.

Thanks both of you. I'm not fond of the idea of drilling the stock, mostly because I don't trust my own skills. I was looking at some of the fabric ones on Amazon, that strap to the stock, but reviews are mixed, and seem to either congregate around 5-star "wonderful" or 1-star "junk". There's not enough room in my "discarded holster" box for a bunch of cheek risers. So, I was hoping that someone had some experience with those, and might throw a little light (or shade) on some of those. Not a huge issue today, or ever, really. None seem to be that expensive....not at all like buying a $75 holster, and finding that it just won't hunt. Thanks, folks.

Basic Member
    The “strap on” type of riser…I have found that they are pretty much junk. Take a shot & the recoil makes them move, or worse yet, they actually fall off.

The drill thru stay put. You need to mount them so there is enough clearance to remove the bolt.

If you don’t have the skills to install one yourself, have a gunsmith do it.

Basic Member
    I've had the 'strap-on' pads and they work well on 'low-recoil' rifles - never moved once the straps are really tight. However, they look like cra* - pretty embarrasing. As Steeltrap indicated, you could have someone attach the Kydex ones for you. I've done a couple - real simple. I just place the kydex over the stock sorta high and adjust till the scope is in proper alignment. Then mark where the holes should be, leaving a bit of 'free-play' in case you get a larger scope and drill the holes straight thru. The kydex has slots to adjust height so alignment's not super critical.
    Here's my Savage B22 FV with the kydex riser - the 'cheap one' on amazon - the 'Mathews' brand is overpriced as the cheap one is the same thickness. With Strap-on, then with Kydex. Which do you like ?? Took about 15 minutes to install with a c-less drill.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member

Thumbs Up

PS - I also changed scopes - from a Bushnell Engage 6-18x40 to a Cabelas Covenant-4 6-24x50-30mm FFP-SF. The new scope has MOA bars with numbers every fourth bar. Makes varying holds simpler than 'counting bars', not to mention the better magnification. And I have one on my CZ455 SS Lux also.
    [IMG][/IMG]

@Fasteddie01, thanks for both tips. The cheek riser looks good.

Kydex is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    One more tip - For just a few more bucks the B22 I believe is the better deal. And it has rotary mags which DON'T GET CAUGHT ON THINGS !!

Basic Member
    I definitely prefer solid cheek riser that is mounted to the stock. I have a neoprene slipover cheek riser on my 17m2 GVL. While the slipover riser works, the padding does compress after time and can move around on you.

Basic Member
    If you don`t want to drill into your stock, take a look at the strap on cheek pads by ITC Marksmanship. They are strap on with velcro. I have one on my 17 HMR that works well to give me a solid cheek weld for looking down the scope.

Thanks, @TurkeyTider. And, @Fasteddie01, yes, I have looked at the B22, model 70203, and put that at the top of my list. Now, just waiting for a Fall rebate to show up. Plenty of .22LR on hand, for a TX22 that was recently purchased. Would love to share the hoard with a B22.