Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 6.5 Creedmoor

I’m not going to read 17 pages but if you’re creating Excessive headspace you’ll see primers that resemble those.
    Good luck moving forward.
    Yep.

Why would the fired case be shorter than the chamber before sizing?

I might have misspoke when I said I didn't experience heavy bolt lift. The bolt on my gun feels heavy, even with a lift kit installed. You can't quickly slam a round in to the chamber or it will hang up and cause you to double clutch to get it to close. It closes easily if you close it slowly.

I tried an experiment to determine if I'm resizing the cases correctly. I removed the firing pin and closed the bolt on one of my resized cases, then tried it with two cases with the shoulders bumped .002 and .004. It was definitely harder to close the bolt on my sized cases than it was on two I bumped .002 and .004.

First, this video is the bolt operation without a case in the chamber. There is some resistance at the top and the bolt never just falls into place. It's not stiff, it just won't fall with just gravity.

I referenced my sized brass at .000 and resized two pieces -.002 and -.004.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2567-M.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9472

Name:	IMG_2568-M.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	9473

Name:	IMG_2569-M.jpg 
ID:	9474

This is a video of the bolt closing on my normally sized brass. The bolt closure is pretty stiff.

Video of the bolt close with a case sized -.002. The bolt is stiff at the top, but once past that point it moves pretty well, but it feels like there is still some slight resistance. I sized another case to -.004 and the bolt felt the same way it did without a case in the chamber in video one.

I might have actually have too little head space in my reloaded rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    I might have misspoke when I said I didn't experience heavy bolt lift. The bolt on my gun feels heavy, even with a lift kit installed. You can't quickly slam a round in to the chamber or it will hang up and cause you to double clutch to get it to close. It closes easily if you close it slowly.

I tried an experiment to determine if I'm resizing the cases correctly. I removed the firing pin and closed the bolt on one of my resized cases, then tried it with two cases with the shoulders bumped .002 and .004. It was definitely harder to close the bolt on my sized cases than it was on two I bumped .002 and .004.

First, this video is the bolt operation without a case in the chamber. There is some resistance at the top and the bolt never just falls into place. It's not stiff, it just won't fall with just gravity.

I referenced my sized brass at .000 and resized two pieces -.002 and -.004.

Name:	IMG_2567-M.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9472

Name:	IMG_2568-M.jpg 
Views:	127 
ID:	9473

Name:	IMG_2569-M.jpg 
ID:	9474

This is a video of the bolt closing on my normally sized brass. The bolt closure is pretty stiff.

Video of the bolt close with a case sized -.002. The bolt is stiff at the top, but once past that point it moves pretty well, but it feels like there is still some slight resistance. I sized another case to -.004 and the bolt felt the same way it did without a case in the chamber in video one.

I might have actually have too little head space in my reloaded rounds.
    Now you know.

I ordered the Redding competition shell holder kit which allows you to vary case sizing in increments of .002. The kit contains six shell holders labeled .002 to .010. The directions say to start with the .010 shell holder and move down until you can't feel the bolt close on the case. The .010 shell holder is the thinnest at .368 from the bottom of the shell holder to the shell holder floor. The .002 is .378 from the bottom to the shell holder floor.

Name:	IMG_2579-M.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	9481

My plan was to size the brass and see how it fit the chamber, but I was having trouble feeling the fit with just the firing pin removed so I removed the extractor and ejector from the bolt. That made it much easier to feel the brass. There was no resistance with the bolt closed on an empty chamber. This was the first time I'd removed either the ejector or extractor and that and it went okay except for the ball bearing shooting across the room. I was able to get another 1/8" ball bearing at Ace Hardware. I learned a 1 gallon plastic bag is your friend.

Name:	IMG_2580-M.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	9480

I started with the .010 shell holder and following the directions, moved to the .008, .006 and .004 shell holder until I couldn't feel the case when I closed the bolt. The .004 shell holder provided a good fit on about 80% of the cases and you could feel a slight drag on the bolt on the other 20%. It wasn't much, but you could feel it.

The video shows me loading cases sized with the .010, .008, .006 and .004 shell holders.

Looks good’ If you set the shoulder back .002 from that last case that chambered without resistance, this should give you a round that does not display excess headspace yet chambers freely before and after ignition.

I haven't posted much because its been so hot in Texas that I haven't been shooting. Its not just that the highs have been in the 104-107 range, but that the lows at night are above 80. We can't shoot at the gun club until 8 and by 10 its already over 90...and humid. The reason for this post is this. If this is the future of Alliant Powders, then I'll be using something else.

Name:	RL16.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	9730

Basic Member
    You should find a good load with H4350 in the Creed. H4831SC is no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    You should find a good load with H4350 in the Creed. H4831SC is no slouch.
    I bought a couple jugs of H4350. Not taking chances on running short!

Basic Member
    My 6.5mm CMs really like H4350, averaging 0.322 for 333 5-round groups with bullets from 130 to 147 grains.

As GrenGuy posted, they also shoot H4831SC pretty well, in my case, especially with 147 ELD-Ms, averaging 0.330.

Banned
    Edited for triggering effect..

Rl17 is my go to powder for my 260. But that might change in the new 260AI barrel on its way, so we’ll see. Unfortunately, the crazy prices seem to here to stay I think. I’m lucky in that I shoot sparingly. But I know competition shooters are hurting bad.

Basic Member
    Dave, you do know those prices went up before Biden was elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Welcome to Bidenomics!

Rl17 is my go to powder for my 260. But that might change in the new 260AI barrel on its way, so we’ll see. Unfortunately, the crazy prices seem to here to stay I think. I’m lucky in that I shoot sparingly. But I know competition shooters are hurting bad.
    Its easy for those on the right to blame those on the left and vice versa, but this isn't industry wide. Hogdon powder has been going down. Alliant powder is the only one going up like this. Primers are now readily available and $69 per 1000 locally. How is Biden responsible for those type of price fluctuations?

Basic Member
    Before the last presidential election i got primers for $30 per 1k that are now $70, and lots of hodgdon powder for 30 and now it is $48... because the inflation rate in the firearms industry being higher than the already high nation as a whole since the last election, i don't expect it to come much lower.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Before the last presidential election i got primers for $30 per 1k that are now $70, and lots of hodgdon powder for 30 and now it is $48... because the inflation rate in the firearms industry being higher than the already high nation as a whole since the last election, i don't expect it to come much lower.
    You've been in different stores than I have. Most of my pricing has been from Cabelas and Sportsmans. I haven't seen primers for $30/k since before Covid. And powder back then was $35-$40. Covid drove it all up and it has just stayed there (that just happened to be during the previous admin). When Biden took office powder was in the $50-60 range and primers were between $70 and $100+/k. Some prices have moved up or down a little since then based on supply and demand along with importation issues.

Banned
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You've been in different stores than I have. Most of my pricing has been from Cabelas and Sportsmans. I haven't seen primers for $30/k since before Covid. And powder back then was $35-$40. Covid drove it all up and it has just stayed there (that just happened to be during the previous admin). When Biden took office powder was in the $50-60 range and primers were between $70 and $100+/k. Some prices have moved up or down a little since then based on supply and demand along with importation issues.
    I think Covid was the trigger, then the war in Ukraine was the gasoline on a fire. I'm pretty sure LRPs are going into every 7.62 round they can manufacture for the Ukrainian army..

Basic Member
    Lot's of stuff have affected all of this over the past two admins.

I can say that Sportsman's here has changed from 200max on primers to 1000. And, I saw the first Rem SR BR primers since before covid. Got 1000 of them for $57/1000.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Lot's of stuff have affected all of this over the past two admins.

By the way: they are already talking about a NEW Super Scary, COVID strain and pushing for another vaccine, masks, shut downs and the whole 9 yards! So some people can go hide in their basements again!

Basic Member
    Since we've seen hospital adminission double over the past month then I would not scoff at the whole thing.

I don't think we'll see mandates again like before. And I do hope there is another version of vaccine. I would be first in line since my wife almost died from an Omicron version this year.

Banned
    Here we go again…

Basic Member
    Don't forget that Trump mandated most of the stuff you seem to be against.

Team Savage

Back to on topic comments please.

The forecast for next weeks has temps under 100 degrees for the first time since the first week of June. Maybe I can get out to the rifle range again. I tried earlier this summer, but it was just too hot and humid.