Thread: Savage 112 BVSS - .223

Savage 112 BVSS - .223

My brother has a Savage 112 BVSS in .223. He gave it to me for some load work-up so that we can see what it's accuracy potential is. He had been shooting over the counter military like ammo. The rifle wears a 6.5x-20x Leupold scope. According to the specs for the rifle it should be a 9 twist. I carefully checked the twist rate using a cleaning rod and a tight patch. I get a rather consistent 8.5 twist. Has any one else noticed that?

I have loaded at least 20 different loads with 50gr A-Max and 69gr SMK bullets. I'm using Lapua cases and Fed 205M primers. Using 5 different powders, I have varied powder charges and varied jump to the lands. Most loads shot equally well but a few shot better than others. All-in-all the rifle seems to be capable of regularly shooting 1.5" @ 200yds and 3"-4" at 400yds. I'm curious to know what others have managed to achieve with this rifle which is all stock. Is further load development worth the effort?

Basic Member
    If you step up to 75gr BTHP & 77gr BTHP bullet's you may be really surprise what it can do. That's about all I shoot out of my old 12 FLVSS anymore. It easily shoots sub - moa groups at almost any reasonable range given decent shooting conditions and the idiot behind it doing my job correctly.

I shoot 55gr tipped and hp bullets in my FV12 223 with factory barrel. Depends on your purpose, but I shoot pdogs and rats.

Basic Member
    My 1:9 12 FV shoots 77 gr Sierra SMKs and TMKs better than any other bullets. That is based on hundreds of 5-round groups, some of them documented in posts on this forum.
    It also shoots 69 grain Sierra SMKs and TMKs very accurately.

Your 1:8.5 twist should handle the 77 grain bullets very nicely. The bullet will make a difference.
    If you are looking for accuracy, target bullets will give you the best results, based upon my experience.
    They are expensive but they should show you what will shoot best.
    My experience tells me that they like to be seated out farther than factory loads will ever be. But since you reload, you have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    My 1:9 12 FV shoots 77 gr Sierra SMKs and TMKs better than any other bullets. That is based on hundreds of 5-round groups, some of them documented in posts on this forum.
    It also shoots 69 grain Sierra SMKs and TMKs very accurately.

Your 1:8.5 twist should handle the 77 grain bullets very nicely. The bullet will make a difference.
    If you are looking for accuracy, target bullets will give you the best results, based upon my experience.
    They are expensive but they should show you what will shoot best.
    My experience tells me that they like to be seated out farther than factory loads will ever be. But since you reload, you have that option.
    Slowly but surely the rifle and loads are coming together. I've been working with 69gr & 77gr SMK bullets and have been shooting under .5 moa at 200yds. I had a box of 77 TMK bullets left over from another project so I'll try a few this week. I also have some RE 15.5 so I'll give that a whirl too. Most of the heavy bullets seem to prefer to be loaded .012" - .015" off the rifling. This Savage is proving to be rather accurate for a bone-stock rifle.

Try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    ^^^^Is That (.4@200yds) with an Axis?

Basic Member
    The pasted section mentions 'match uppers' so I would assume an AR platform and premium barrel.