Thread: Hogue stock fitment issues?

Basic Member

Hogue stock fitment issues?

Picked up a Hogue stock with the full bedding block for the 300BO project and having some issues.

When you place the barreled action in the stock and snug up the action screws it seems to bind.

If action screws are tight you cant hardly cycle the action- neither is bottoming up locking the bolt in its just that torqued.

You can feel the action rock in the stock.

Have tried spacer, different action screw lengths and nothing seems to work.

Also the old internal mag doesn't fit, the bolt wont enter the action without pressing down on it. Then when you cycle a dummy round it catches quite a bit.

Put everything back in the original stock everything runs great.

Suggestions?

Is this common, just got a lemon?

Banned
    Hare to say without seeing it mattri. But sometimes fitting is needed. It’s amazing what just a tiny bit of material removed will change things. It’s just a matter of locating WHERE it’s binding. I wish I could see it with you. I’m good at finding those things.

By the Action being hard to cycle means something is interfering with the bolt or handle. Focus on that first. How is it with the Action just sitting in the stock? How about with just the front screw? How about with just the rear screw? Go through steps 1 at a time & find what’s binding the bolt.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave- both the action bolts seat without prodruding, its more like the action is being torqued and that is causing the bolt to bind.

With either the front or rear in independantly the bolt cycles but you can see the action isnt level.

Not sure if its worth trying another stock or not- the old factory one works ok on a rifle like this- we'll see.

Banned
    OK, so it’s teetering in the middle (between the Action screws), it sounds like? That’s what I would look at. Not the Recoil Lug hanging up, is it? How about the Rear Tang? Is it floated?

Banned
    I’m a Chassis guy through & through.. but when speaking of stocks, I’m a fan of Pillar & Full bedding together. If I liked the look/style of a certain stock & it didn’t fit right, I’d HOG out material to make everything fit loose, then use aluminum or SS Pillars and a complete bedding of Devcon Plastc Weld. Drop in the Action for a completely cradled Action. But.. like I said, I like Billet Aluminum Chassis with closed, tube hand guards.

Basic Member
    Yeah I definitely like casis as well but kind of going for a light walking type rifle with this build, even the Hogue was a little beefy. If the Hogue isn't going to be a drop in or quick fix mine as well do the pillar job on the factory stock like you mentioned- thats kind of how I'm leaning right now.

Banned
    Can you get a refund?

Basic Member
    Yeah I would think- guess we'll find out.