Thread: Savage 110 Ultralite Bolt Lift Kit?

Question Savage 110 Ultralite Bolt Lift Kit?

Hi everyone,

I have a 110 Ultralite in 308. Looking for a bolt lift kit, but I don't think this bolt is the same. I understand the older bolts don't have a cocking indicator nor a one piece firing pin. I know post 2019 has one piece firing pin and a cocking indicator. I have... a hybrid one. Mine has a cocking indicator but the fire pin is similar design to the old style.

https://ibb.co/ZxBfZhT - for a photo.

My goal is to have a smoother cycle/action. Thanks for your help.

Banned
    That is odd for sure. I rec cutting off the cocking indicator and just treat it like an old style. That is the only point to it is the cocking indicator. Unless you think you need a cocking indicator, get rid of it. You could also just get a new cocking piece here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/139130B But honesty I’d just lop off the extension and sand it flat.

The Lumley kit is now the one I recommend. They include a Titanium BAS in plain or DLC coated. The machining is perfect and the BAS looks great. https://lumleyarms.us/parts-by-make-...t-lift-kit-old

BTW: leave it to Savage to go make an entirely different firing pin, but using a bunch of the same parts because they are CHEAP at the factory. They make it *just different enough to confuse people and not allow them to use a Lift Kit. I can’t say for certain, but I don’t believe the new style Lift Kits will work. This is SO Savage. Man oh Man, do I HATE factory mindset! “We at Savage Arms aren’t willing to make anything better for our customers… but when they figure out how to solve problems on their own, we’ll sure as hell change things just enough to MUCK them over! That is our promise at Savage Arms.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    That is odd for sure. I rec cutting off the cocking indicator and just treat it like an old style. That is the only point to it is the cocking indicator. Unless you think you need a cocking indicator, get rid of it. You could also just get a new cocking piece here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/139130B But honesty I’d just lop off the extension and sand it flat.

The Lumley kit is now the one I recommend. They include a Titanium BAS in plain or DLC coated. The machining is perfect and the BAS looks great. https://lumleyarms.us/parts-by-make-...t-lift-kit-old

BTW: leave it to Savage to go make an entirely different firing pin, but using a bunch of the same parts because they are CHEAP at the factory. They make it *just different enough to confuse people and not allow them to use a Lift Kit. I can’t say for certain, but I don’t believe the new style Lift Kits will work. This is SO Savage. Man oh Man, do I HATE factory mindset! “We at Savage Arms aren’t willing to make anything better for our customers… but when they figure out how to solve problems on their own, we’ll sure as hell change things just enough to MUCK them over! That is our promise at Savage Arms.”
    Well said.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

This is your guy for the newer Savage style bolt lift kits.
    https://deshind.com/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenOne1 View Post
    This is your guy for the newer Savage style bolt lift kits.
    https://deshind.com/
    I put one of Grimshod Desh's bolt lift kits in my 110 Elite Precision and I can run the bolt with one finger. I highly recommend his kit based on my experience.

Banned
    Guys… it’s not the same firing pin. Your rifles use the 1-piece style pin. Look at his photo; his is seemingly an old style adjustable firing pin, with a loaded indicator. The Desh kit will not work.

Old & New style pins.

The OP’s “Hybrid” firing pin assembly.

Sometimes it’s the small details.

Basic Member
    How weird that it won't work with the Op's pictured firing pin. I just pulled my bolt containing the Desh kit and guess what? My firing pin is EXACTLY the same as the Ops... Too bad the Desh bolt lift kit will not work with this style firing pin, because it has turned my bolt from a chore into a one-finger run from lift, retract, feed, and cock. Seriously, I'm running the desh kit on that same bolt and firing pin. The thrust bearing sits on the sleave that goes over the firing pin. It...just...works.

Guys… it’s not the same firing pin. Your rifles use the 1-piece style pin. Look at his photo; his is seemingly an old style adjustable firing pin, with a loaded indicator. The Desh kit will not work.

Old & New style pins.

The OP’s “Hybrid” firing pin assembly.

Sometimes it’s the small details.

Banned
    Oh boy

Banned
    BTW… as someone who has done EXTENSIVE work on Savage bolts, firing pins & such, and HAS made turned mine into a truly “one finger” lift(proven in the video I made), simply putting in a lift kit, while it helps, does not make the drastic difference referred to. Oh.. and I know a bit about the lift kits as well, being I machined several using Titanium, Tungsten Carbide & Silicone Nitride single bearing points. And then gave them away to members here… for free.

Now if your 110 Elite is using the same Hybrid pin, and the the kit works, kudos. I’m sceptical as the cage bearing style wasn’t really designed for the the adjustable pins with the Cocking piece sleeve. The single point bearing works much better.

I’d love to see a video of yours….. to compare.

Different experiences are the norm. I tried many different things to help. I have tried different types of lift kits designed and machined by a professional machinist with extreme accuracy and tolerances held. For the original firing pin with the long coil spring you just can't beat Fred Moreo's improvements. Only when I did what he does did I achieve the desired lift. For the firing pins with the cocking indicator, I did as Dave mentioned. It worked but was not optimal. Include some of Fred's concepts and it was good but you lost the indicator. The new firing pins have a different BAS and spring so Desh is the only one I know doing something about it. I don't know if he could be compared to Fred but he has proven himself to provide a good product and service.

I am willing to compare lift with anyone who wants to. Fred used the most repeatable, scientific method for proof of concept that the masses understand in my opinion. An inch pound torque wrench tells the tale. If you are exerting yourself and the rifle is moving around while trying to make a bolt lift with one or two fingers, what measurable difference have you made? :)

For me, I am going to go with "if your happy, I'm happy" thing. No need to brow beat anyone and pretend to be the expert. That creates friction, We need a lot more unity in these times.
    Fred taught many people more with 1 sentence in one post than many people can in dozens of paragraphs over dozens of post. Be like Fred.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I struggle just getting a pic posted on this fantastic site, no clue how to do video. My point was that the Desh lift kit works with the Op's bolt/firing pin. I should have included that Desh makes different kits to account for the different style bolt/firing pins that Savage makes. Here is a video of Desh himself explaining the different bolt/firing pins and his kit needed for each. I'm getting ready to ship my bolts off to Desh to have him bush the firing pin holes. He'll also install kits if you do this and do machine work to account for the kit such that you don't have to have a spacer under the BAS to account for the space taken up by the kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taiPLnu_L6E

BTW… as someone who has done EXTENSIVE work on Savage bolts, firing pins & such, and HAS made turned mine into a truly “one finger” lift(proven in the video I made), simply putting in a lift kit, while it helps, does not make the drastic difference referred to. Oh.. and I know a bit about the lift kits as well, being I machined several using Titanium, Tungsten Carbide & Silicone Nitride single bearing points. And then gave them away to members here… for free.

Now if your 110 Elite is using the same Hybrid pin, and the the kit works, kudos. I’m sceptical as the cage bearing style wasn’t really designed for the the adjustable pins with the Cocking piece sleeve. The single point bearing works much better.

I’d love to see a video of yours….. to compare.

For me, I am going to go with "if your happy, I'm happy" thing. No need to brow beat anyone and pretend to be the expert. That creates friction, We need a lot more unity in these times.
    Fred taught many people more with 1 sentence in one post than many people can in dozens of paragraphs over dozens of post. Be like Fred.
    +1

Banned
    Sorry, I was referring to the “NEW” style firing pin, as AllenOne1 had stated. And I haven’t been to Desh’s sight in a long time. The OP’s is the first time I’ve seen this Hybrid pin, but I knew it wouldn’t work with the One Piece FP kits. Just by sight I knew the indicator was too big in diameter.

I agree, Fred’s design is the best. A single point of contact. In fact, this is scientifically correct as well. What Robin is talking about is Coefficient of Friction. Good thing to research. Of course those with the new style Firing Pin have no choice. And Desh came through with an answer which was good to see. But if I had the Hybrid pin, first thing would be to lop off that chamber indicator and use the good ol’ Fred design & standard BAS. Either buy one or make your own with the .38 case head & BB.. whatever. Now let’s all sit around a camp fire, hold hands & sing “Kumbaya”, as Robin suggests. I’ll bring the marshmallows!

Also to the OP, you could also just order a new old style FP, or even just a cocking piece, if you didn’t want to cut the chamber indicator. But honestly, anyone who thinks they need a loaded chamber indicator really shouldn’t be trusted to handle firearms. I think chamber indicators were just another bit of nonsense to add to lazyness & ignorance of firearms.