Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 12fv

Savage 12fv

at a local gun shop about an hour from me, i came across a Savage 12fv that they wanted 369.99 for. it is a 26 inch heavy barrel 308 synthetic stock. Is this a good deal? I am planning on building a bench/target gun out of this. Thanks.

Banned
    I’d say Yes! ANY Savage for $369 is a good deal, RIGHT NOW!

The 12FV is a Cabelas exclusive model. They had runs selling them for $399. It shows them for sale at Cabelas now for $420, but I doubt you’ll find one in stock. Could be wrong though.

If it’s in excellent condition, I’d have no problem picking it up for $369.

At the Cabela's near me they are $419. for a new one in .308 but they are out of stock....so a good used one is definitely better than an out of stock one. Might offer them 369 out the door...including tax,your promise to always do good and Brandon approval.

Banned
    Let’s go Brandon!

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by chazz1975 View Post
    at a local gun shop about an hour from me, i came across a Savage 12fv that they wanted 369.99 for. it is a 26 inch heavy barrel 308 synthetic stock. Is this a good deal? I am planning on building a bench/target gun out of this. Thanks.
    Less than the original retail price of $419, good Savage foundation. As others mentioned, the 12FV was a Cabela's exclusive and was a hot seller for some time.

Banned
    I buy Savage 110’s for their Action alone; to build as I wish to. Because of this I look for the most inexpensive option I can. However, if I was going to buy Savage for its features, the 12FV is a hard bargain to pass up. Has a 26” heavy barrel & a half decent pillar bedded stock. Even for the current $429 price it’s worth it. You said you want to turn it into a Bench/target rifle. If you are planning to change out the barrel, stock, etc., you may eventually find one cheaper. Again, that’s what I do. But if you plan on using the rifle as a whole, or even just the Barreled Action, this is very much worth it. Slap on a good Base rail & rings & a quality scope… it’s set for bench duty! Once you shoot the barrel out, the Action is a great base to build on.

Basic Member
    And you left out that it has the varmint accutrigger.

Basic Member
    I've got two 12 FVs and love them both.
    I use them as bench rifles. Put a good scope on it and shoot it.
    My two are great bench rifles. Lots of posts to show what they can do with good reloads.

I did have some issues with the stock on my 6.5mm CM twisting when fired so I replaced the factory stock with an Oryx chassis and was very pleased.
    I would think a .308 would twist even more.

That said, I would buy another one right now, including a .308, if they became available.

Basic Member

Well, I did it. I bought the Savage 12fv today. It is new in box. $392
    Out the door. Now the fun of building/upgrading begins...

Team Savage

That was a great price considering current market and economic conditions.

Banned
    Good buy! Don’t think there’s one here who woulda passed that up. Now the fun begins! Let’s discuss your Base, Rings, & Glass, LOL!

Another happy Savage owner.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Great buy, my Savage model 12 action was almost twice that alone.

Basic Member
    Back in the day I picked up at least 8 of them for me and family members. After using online gift cards and rebates they were ~$215 each. I miss the old days...

Ahh the good ole days

Basic Member
    I'd love to find these back in stock at their regular price, not to mention the sales prices. I check all my in state BPS and Cabelas online stock pretty regularly and always see out of stock...

OK, I am getting an EGW 20 MOA base and Vortex rings. Going to mount a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 next weekend. Next question: What is the most cost-effective stock/chassis to convert this to AICS DBM? Thanks.

Banned
    Dollar for dollar it’s hard to beat the Oryx Chassis. https://www.eabco.net/ORYX-Chassis-S...h_p_16061.html $399 & a $10 off coupon! Hard to beat.

Many other Chassis to choose from, but the price starts going up. I love the Chassis I’m using now, but it cost a small fortune and doesn’t really add any accuracy potential above & beyond what the Oryx offers.

Basic Member
    I agree with Dave.
    I have two Oryx chassis on my two 12 FVs.
    Easy to drop the action into the chassis and there was an accuracy improvement in both rifles.

Basic Member
    I would agree also, the Oryx is about the best bang for the buck right now. I have one on a TC Compass rifle (I know stupid to spend more on the chassis than the $300 rifle, but it also wears a $500 vortex and shoots lights out) and I really like that Chassis. I also have a MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 on a savage and it is a very nice chassis also. There are a bunch of great ones, but like Dave said it only goes up in price.

Magpul says the Hunter stock is coming, and MDT has an Oryx Field Stock in the works also. Those should be a little less than the $400 Oryx chassis, but its a waiting game on those. Another option would be a Boyd's Pro Varmint laminate stock and add the DBM bottom metal. I'm not sure what that would cost, but it'd be at or under the Oryx chassis price point...

Banned
    If you’re looking for the cheapest, it’s the Trybe ROCS Chassis. https://www.opticsplanet.com/trybe-d...is-system.html
    Optics Planet is the sole proprietor of Trybe.

It's not bad, but I think the Oryx is still the better buy.

I like the look of that ROCS, but there are very few reviews for it. I guess it is a toss up between that and the Oryx.

Banned
    The Trybe Chassis is very new. The Oryx has been out long enough it has a healthy number of reviewers. Also, it was backed by MDT, so that gave immediate clout with shooters. I’ve seen a few accounts on the Trybe, and it’s positive so far. I’ll say this.. it’s 6061 Billet like any other chassis. And it’s machined to a known size, for known Actions; just like any other chassis. The difference is it’s simple. There is no “quick adjustment” of anything- the LOP, the cheek riser. Everything is adjusted with spacers. So I’ll go out on a limb that you’d be safe getting one, as far as fitment, operation. And I do have experience with other Trybe parts. The machining they do is good. So I wouldn’t worry about that either. I still prefer the Oryx, but if you like the look of the Trybe more & want to save the $50, I believe you’ll do just fine for the $340.

Heres a in depth video on the ROCS if you haven’t seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsUlQezwos

Question because I really do not know. Does a $3-400 Chassis on an FV result in a worthwhile change in accuracy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast