Thread: Advice on rebarreling a .308 model 10.

Advice on rebarreling a .308 model 10.

I have been shooting a model 10 in an MDT stock for years, it seems to have finally bitten the dust accuracy wise. So I am thinking of re-barreling. As my friends often shoot .308s when our other rifles need a rest, I do think a simple re-barrel to .308 would be my preference. Definitely want it threaded, as calling misses is difficult with the unthreaded barrel I have. I have read how easy it is to do it yourself with Savage barrels, but I would definitely appreciate suggestions on what barrel and tips on the actual process. Thank you.

Basic Member
    I just did a rebarrel for the first time.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...w-barrel-(6BR)

Banned
    What contour barrel are you thinking about? (How heavy/light a profile, that is?) What is your budget? And what is your time frame?

Edit: sorry.. was mixing threads

Basic Member
    The only additional tips I can offer. Get a good action wrench and use the proper barrel nut wrench. Make sure you have some anti-seize on hand for installation.

Talk to Jim at Northland Shooter Supply.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The only additional tips I can offer. Get a good action wrench and use the proper barrel nut wrench. Make sure you have some anti-seize on hand for installation.

Talk to Jim at Northland Shooter Supply.
    Great guy to do business with!

OK, thanks for all the good advice, I'll definitely have to contact Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. I think the MDT Chassis can handle pretty heavy barrels, still I don't want a bench ridden rifle, even though it will get shot mostly from the bench. So I am thinking Palma or Varmint. As to time frame, ASAP is best but I realize , after looking through a number of sites selling pre-fits that there aren't a lot available. As to budget I would like to avoid spending over $400, however, I could go a bit above that if the promise of accuracy necessitates that.
    Does one typically buy the barrel wrench and vice, or rent them?

Team Savage

If the pre-fit you're looking for isn't in stock the wait times can be long, 12 - 20 weeks for the Shilen barrel I ordered earlier this month.

Being a tool guy, and anticipating future use, I bought Jim's action and barrel wrenches when I built my 22 Creed a couple years ago.

Basic Member
    X-Caliber. If they say 12 weeks, it’s 12 weeks. In my experience with multiple orders. I haven’t gotten a single dud from them yet.

A few questions, At what distances do you shoot ? and what bullets do you plan to use ?
    If this is your only planned Bbl.swap, why not see if there any of your shooting buddies or "helpful" members of your range / club would be willing to help you.
    Since this will be a custom order, just an FYI, Criterion / North Land used to ?? offer four 308 chamber designs as well as a few different rate of twists.
    Do a little research and see what the military and custom rifle builders are using as far as twists go in their barrels.

Banned
    Here is one. This is International Barrels. Can’t get a barrel direct from them because they are in Canada. I’ve dealt with them for their machined Barrel nut, which is very nice. I like it over the standard Savage style. The barrel is a 22”, 1-10 heavy barrel with 5/8-24 muzzle threads. Out of stock now, but one to keep in mind. For $479 plus discounts through Brownells, not a bad option. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod129688.aspx

Basic Member
    The barrel nut wrench is cheap. The action vise is not. I liked the convenience of it and plan on using it again so I bought it.

In the old days we would make the action or barrel vise jaws. Block of hardwood shaped carefully to match the gun. Placed in a good bench vise. Given price of good hardwood these days, the action vise from Jim is pretty comparable.

When I asked about 6BR barrels Jim had several to choose from. Not sure about others, or if you want something specific, like a non-standard twist rate.

7mm08 if you reload.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I'm going through this same thought process right now and Jim from Northland Shooters Supply is who I'm calling when the time comes. I've got a Criterion bull picked out and all the tools needed to rebarrel. I'm thinking it will be next year some time, so I'll be interested to read about your experience!

Banned
    Then you will become a really-real “Savage Smith”! Make sure to get your membership card & Decoder Ring. LOL!

Basic Member
    LOL... Barrel is the ONLY thing I haven't changed yet on a Savage Rifle. I never had a range that I could shoot a barrel out at until April of this year... Good times!

Basic Member
    Jim will spend all the time you need to make sure you get what you need. The more I shoot my 6BR the happier I am I made the choice to do it myself.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Jim will spend all the time you need to make sure you get what you need. The more I shoot my 6BR the happier I am I made the choice to do it myself.
    Couldn't have said it better!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    7mm08 if you reload.
    I wish I had discovered the 7-08 earlier. I'm liking it.

The popularity of the 6.5 CM seems to have pushed the 7mm-08 and even the .308 into the background. But my 7mm-08 rifles remain some of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I wish I had discovered the 7-08 earlier. I'm liking it.
    Yep, whats not to like?

The popularity of the 6.5 CM seems to have pushed the 7mm-08 and even the .308 into the background. But my 7mm-08 rifles remain some of my favorites.
    I agree, but the 7mm08 just feels right. and you can load a 160 class if you want.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.