Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm PRC

It's going to be tough to convince people to ditch the 7mm rem mag.
    +1

Honestly with rampant inflation and a recession looming in the future I find myself wanting to say to the release of the 7MM PRC in the fall...."what are you thinking?"

Basic Member
    It is hard to understand corporate thinking. We are in a huge shortage of ammo and they want to bring out another new cartridge? Heck, my brother-in-law did not have any ammo for his .30-30 to go hunting this fall. But, he could probably buy a new 7PRC and have ammo for it?

Oh well. If you have a bunch of engineers sitting around they need to be doing something. :)

And the issues Remington had with their 'new' cartridges noted above I think contributed to their demise. And they didn't do the slow twist thing once...they repeated the mistake several times. Just a reflection of either poor engineering or poor management. Either one of which dooms a company.

7mmSS?
    or 7mm Sherman Max
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

or 7MM SST?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    or 7MM SST?
    yep
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    The other issue I have is with cartridge "comparisons". Youtubers compare the 7mm PRC with a 180gr high bc bullet compared to a 150gr lower bc bullet 7mm rem mag and then have the audacity to say the 7mm prc is better. As others have said, if you make things equal between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260 Remington, the 260 comes out slightly ahead.

When I wanted a 30 Cal magnum, I didn't want the marginal difference between the 300 Win mag and the 300 PRC, so I went the 300 Norma Magnum.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Looking forward to some 110s chambered in 7mm PRC.
    I just bought one and am waiting for it and some ammo to be shipped. I'll be shooting it later his week.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It is hard to understand corporate thinking. We are in a huge shortage of ammo and they want to bring out another new cartridge? Heck, my brother-in-law did not have any ammo for his .30-30 to go hunting this fall. But, he could probably buy a new 7PRC and have ammo for it?

Oh well. If you have a bunch of engineers sitting around they need to be doing something. :)

And the issues Remington had with their 'new' cartridges noted above I think contributed to their demise. And they didn't do the slow twist thing once...they repeated the mistake several times. Just a reflection of either poor engineering or poor management. Either one of which dooms a company.
    I have had a 6mm Rem for 25 years, as well as a 243 Win. Remington totally missed the mark by advertising it as a varmit round, and barreling their guns with a twist that could not stabilize the heavier bullets that the .243 was capable of. They overlooked the entire medium-sized big game consumer. Mine is a BRNO with a Wilson bull barrel with 1:9 twist, and smokes my custom mauser 243 in both fps and accuracy with the 95-100gr projectiles. I use it for woodchucks to whitetail.

Basic Member
    So I picked up my Ultralite 7mm PRC, inspected it, bore-scoped the barrel (looked nice), and performed the thorough cleaning and then took the buggy down to the field for the recommended barrel break-in procedure. I chrony'd the 175gr. Hornady Precision Hunter rounds throughout the process, which only ranged from 2740's to a high of 2795 fps. The box specified 3000fps - probably out of a 24 or 26" barrel, but mine weren't even in the ballpark out of the Ultralite's 22". Accuracy after 11 rounds was 1/2 MOA. To ensure that my CE M2 was still working accurately, I used the Burris ballistics tool (for my Veracity 4-20x scope) to generate a dope card using 2800fps, and dialed it in for the 600 yard plate. I fired 3-shot groups which were 1.5 MOA low. At 710, I jacked it up by 1.5 MOA . At 850, it was still 0.25 MOA low. I went through two boxes. Either the barrel needs 100 rounds to fall in, or the Hornady velocities are pie.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeb View Post
    So I picked up my Ultralite 7mm PRC, inspected it, bore-scoped the barrel (looked nice), and performed the thorough cleaning and then took the buggy down to the field for the recommended barrel break-in procedure. I chrony'd the 175gr. Hornady Precision Hunter rounds throughout the process, which only ranged from 2740's to a high of 2795 fps. The box specified 3000fps - probably out of a 24 or 26" barrel, but mine weren't even in the ballpark out of the Ultralite's 22". Accuracy after 11 rounds was 1/2 MOA. To ensure that my CE M2 was still working accurately, I used the Burris ballistics tool (for my Veracity 4-20x scope) to generate a dope card using 2800fps, and dialed it in for the 600 yard plate. I fired 3-shot groups which were 1.5 MOA low. At 710, I jacked it up by 1.5 MOA . At 850, it was still 0.25 MOA low. I went through two boxes. Either the barrel needs 100 rounds to fall in, or the Hornady velocities are pie.
    Every Proof carbon barrel i have owned has increased in speed a decent amount by 60 rounds and leveled off at 120 rounds. My 28 Nosler Ultralite increased 150 FPS over that time, my 300 WSM ultralite has increased 40 FPS in that time, my custom 6.5 PRC increased about 100 over that time, and i only have 30 rounds through my Proof Elevation 6.5 Creedmoor so i only have taken my baseline. Hard to say where it will end up, but i bet it will get faster.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Every Proof carbon barrel i have owned has increased in speed a decent amount by 60 rounds and leveled off at 120 rounds. My 28 Nosler Ultralite increased 150 FPS over that time, my 300 WSM ultralite has increased 40 FPS in that time, my custom 6.5 PRC increased about 100 over that time, and i only have 30 rounds through my Proof Elevation 6.5 Creedmoor so i only have taken my baseline. Hard to say where it will end up, but i bet it will get faster.
    I cleaned the barrel spic and span, and scoped it. There is a little bit of reamer chatter (ridging) right at the terminus of the freebore area at the lands ramps. It looks like it's smoothing out. There are no other rough areas, and overall the barrel looks good. I'm waiting on dies and ELD-Xs, as well as three more boxes of Hornady ammo. I switched over to the IR panels on the CE M2, and ran some Remington Thunderbolt .22LR out of my 10/22 through it (without the IR powered up) and got 1150fps, which is about 100fps less than advertised. Then I ran three shots from the Ultralite through it and got the same 2750fps average. Still not sure if it's the ammo or chrony, but the group was 1/2".

Basic Member
    Update:
    I trued the ballistics and came up with 2910 fps with Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-Xs. I dropped the load workup and planned to use those rounds. So, last week I went elk hunting in Colorado and bagged a massive 7x7 bull at 730 yards Angle Modified Range and dropped the ELD-X right on target to crumple the elk DRT.

Team Savage
    Update:
    I trued the ballistics and came up with 2910 fps with Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-Xs. I dropped the load workup and planned to use those rounds. So, last week I went elk hunting in Colorado and bagged a massive 7x7 bull at 730 yards Angle Modified Range and dropped the ELD-X right on target to crumple the elk DRT.
    Where are the pics?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Idaho View Post
    Where are the pics?

Banned
    Gorgeous scenery! I’m jealous! Makes me miss the high desert of my Arizona.

Oh… nice elk to, LOL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Gorgeous scenery! I’m jealous! Makes me miss the high desert of my Arizona.

Oh… nice elk to, LOL!
    Thanks. I love southern Colorado, but it's way too dry there for me.

The shot was from the aspen clump at the top of the hill over my right shoulder.

Team Savage
    Very nice!!

Team Savage
    Does anybody know why there's a 110 Apex Storm XP (or whatever the version is called that comes with the cheapo scope and non accustock) in 7prc but not a regular 110 Storm? If the stainless 110 barreled action in 7prc already exists, and the long action accustock & recoil lug already exist, why in the world doesn't Savage put the action in the stock and sell it? They already make all of the parts...

Team Savage
    Also, can someone with a 110 in 7prc verify for me if it's small or large shank, and whether it has the 9/16 bolt locking lugs like the WSMs?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Idaho View Post
    Also, can someone with a 110 in 7prc verify for me if it's small or large shank, and whether it has the 9/16 bolt locking lugs like the WSMs?
    Anybody...?

Banned
    From photos shown in articles, it’s a Small Shank.

Basic Member
    I just bought one and am waiting for it and some ammo to be shipped. I'll be shooting it later his week.
    Which one did you get?

Edit: just read your post #35. Congrats

Basic Member
    Dayum!

Basic Member

Well that 7PRC did it. Congrats again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast