Thread: Savage ultralite

Savage ultralite

Having issues with the bolt on Savage ultalite. The bolt catches sometimes and doesn't open all of the way. As a result, shells do not load and missed oppurtunity for a shot. Bolt lug catches on the action. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Is there a fix? Possibly putting a chamfer on action with a dremmel or something?

Banned
    Unfortunately, the Ultra light has been the topic of several Jamming/Failure to Feed conversations since its inception. The cases I’ve seen have been attributed to the spiral fluted bolt. Is this a new rifle you’ve purchased? If so, just send it back to Savage for Warranty repair. If you have no Warranty, you need to isolate the exact condition. Some have gone as far as replacing the Bolt Body with a non spiral fluted bolt style. However, if you can isolate the exact location of the hangup, some simple softening of an edge may relieve the problem. Notice I say “softening”. Take note. When it comes to the Bolt & Action, any metal removal must be negligible.

[QUOTE=Dave Hoback;509401]Unfortunately, the Ultra light has been the topic of several Jamming/Failure to Feed conversations since its inception. The cases I’ve seen have been attributed to the spiral fluted bolt. Is this a new rifle you’ve purchased? If so, just send it back to Savage for Warranty repair. If you have no Warranty, you need to isolate the exact condition. Some have gone as far as replacing the Bolt Body with a non spiral fluted bolt style. However, if you can isolate the exact location of the hangup, some simple softening of an edge may relieve the problem. Notice I say “softening”. Take note. When it comes to the Bolt & Action, any metal removal must be negligible.

I think i will give it a try and hone the edge off receiver where it is catching. I have 2 rifles i need to do this to. Both Ultralites have the same issue. Thanks for the tip.

Basic Member
    I swapped the bolt for a jeweled. Best decision ever

I ended up putting a beveled edge on the receiver that allows the bolt to open without obstuction. Its still not as smooth as I would like , but it works now. Thanks for all of the replies. Much appreciated.