Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12BVSS new barrel (6BR)

Basic Member

12BVSS new barrel (6BR)

Well, I finally got off the fence on this one. Been thinking about a 6BR barrel to replace my stock .308 (the .308 will go on my Axis and remain a cast bullet rifle) Wanted to wait for a higher end barrel but wait times are getting longer. Northland has quite a few barrels in 6BR in stock so I called them and settled on a Shilen select stainless 26" barrel. Got it in under a week. Also got the nut wrench and action vise along with go-nogo gages. And a new recoil lug.

Was all ready for a 'fight' to get the stock barrel off. Surprise! Came off easily. Cleaned out the action well to get rid of all the "factory grit". Applied some anti-seize and put the new barrel on. Easy peasy. Set headspace and ready to go. Almost took longer to mount the scope back up than it did to change the barrel.

Got some brass (Lapua) and bullets (Hornady 108 ELD match) and loaded up a ladder. CCI BR-4 primers, Varget. Redding competition seat die and Forster full length size die. 3rds each from 28.0gn to 30.0gn in 0.2gn steps.

This morning was supposed to be calm so drove out to the range. Wind was 5+ mph and it was spitting a few drops of rain every now and then.

I had 10 rounds at 28.0gn loaded for a break in (yes, I believe it helps and doesn't really waste any ammo). 1st rd-clean. 2nd rd- clean. 3rd round the patch had no sign of copper at all. Shot another 7 then cleaned and no copper sign. First 10 rounds went into 1.5" at 100yd. Not great, but, not unexpected for a new and cold barrel (and variable cleaning condition).

Then started the ladder. None of the 3rnd groups were over 1". Largest was 0.8". 5 of the loads were under 0.4". That surprised me. 28gn load was 2670fps. 30gn load was 2850fps. The 30gn load was one of the better ones.

So, I have a couple loads I'll set up for next time and shoot at my 'normal' 200yd and 600yd ranges. Might fiddle with OAL, but, these Hornady bullets seem to like a little jump (these were all 0.020" jump).

Clean up went FAST compared to my factory barrel. I used my normal technique. Several patches of bore cleaner (Ed's Red), bore brush, 4 wet patches and it was clean. Then I dried it out and used copper remover. Only took two patches until no more residue observed. I think this is a slick barrel.

So, if you are on the fence about changing out a barrel, I recommend doing it. I still don't like setting up scopes for some reason.

PS Northland was an excellent choice. Very helpful and FAST service.

Banned
    Good stuff Charlie. I’m a bit perplexed you don’t consider Shilen as higher end. I think most consider them among top tier barrel makers. Unless of course, you are referring to Brux & Bartlien as being the tip of the spear & all others below those two. Which I can certainly understand.

Glad you’re happy with the 6BR. Think it’ll be a good shooter.

Basic Member
    Yep, to me top tier are Bartlein, Brux, Krieger (and very few others). Wait time from them was 6 months to a year for us mortals.

I figured that the Shilen will shoot better than I am able, so the extra cost of the premier barrels would be wasted on me. :)

I also confirmed that the recoil is far less than my .308 shooting the 155gn low drag bullets. Very pleasant shooting day.

Basic Member
    The best bullets for 6BR in the Shilen bbl I have are sierra 107 SMK and 105 berger VLD. The trick in these days is finding them or any components. Yesterday in our local lgs noticed they priced BR4 primers at 18.99/100. Good luck.

It's always been a pleasure dealing with Jim. I'm leaning towards a 260 Remington barrel from him to replace my factory 308 barrel.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Our local Sportsmans got in a bunch of BR4 primers. I got 2500 of them, 2 boxes a day :) They were a bit over $8 a box. The std rifle primers sold out in a day and were just over $5 a box. Precovid here the BR4s were $50/1000.

I like SMKs, Lapuas and Bergers. SMK prices aren't horrible but the other two are getting up there. My only issue with the Lapuas and Bergers is they are very sensitive to OAL. When developing loads for the .308 I 'discovered' the Hornady AMax line. Not bad for as inexpensive as they were. So, I tried their ELD line. Moderate price. Tolerant of jump. And they usually hang right in there with the SMKs. Next up on the list will be the 103 ELDs, mainly cause the local store has them in stock.

Team Savage

Nice job! Am doing almost the same but in 7BR, 26" Shilen Select Match but James didn't have that one in stock, so it's on order. I sent dummy rounds to Shilen to have the barrel throated for the boolits I plan to use.

Banned
    Yes, seeing components more & more now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    It's always been a pleasure dealing with Jim. I'm leaning towards a 260 Remington barrel from him to replace my factory 308 barrel.
    Yes, Jim cannot be beat for service and all other categories!
    The 260 Rem is a great choice. For a hunting rifle, the straight 260 is outstanding. If You shoot a lot and reload, I like the 260AI. You can shoot factory ammo in it and Your 260AI case is formed. Thanks Mr. Ackley. The AI case provides maybe 100fps more velocity. But the main advantage is case life. The straight cases tend to grow a lot. The 40deg AI shoulder all but eliminates this. Ga, You’ve been around a while, if I telling You what You already know, maybe someone else can benefit from My Arrogant Opinion??

Banned
    I agree with above.

I also like the 103 V tac automated bullets from Vapor trails, they are extremely consistent at a great price and Tom keeps plenty in stock.
    The bad thing about 6 br testing at 100 yards is that all the rounds go in such a small area it’s tough analyzing targets, most of my testing is at 300 yards and beyond allowing separation between bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Well, I finally got off the fence on this one. Been thinking about a 6BR barrel to replace my stock .308 (the .308 will go on my Axis and remain a cast bullet rifle) Wanted to wait for a higher end barrel but wait times are getting longer. Northland has quite a few barrels in 6BR in stock so I called them and settled on a Shilen select stainless 26" barrel. Got it in under a week. Also got the nut wrench and action vise along with go-nogo gages. And a new recoil lug.

Was all ready for a 'fight' to get the stock barrel off. Surprise! Came off easily. Cleaned out the action well to get rid of all the "factory grit". Applied some anti-seize and put the new barrel on. Easy peasy. Set headspace and ready to go. Almost took longer to mount the scope back up than it did to change the barrel.

So, if you are on the fence about changing out a barrel, I recommend doing it. I still don't like setting up scopes for some reason.

PS Northland was an excellent choice. Very helpful and FAST service.
    Charlie you and I have chatted before on this subject. Pleased to hear you made the leap. I am still unsettled, 6BR or 6 ARC. Though I have recently been thinking of just rebarreling my Model 10 but staying with the 223 caliber in a heavy barrel with a 1:7.5 twist. That would allow me to move up to the heavy bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Charlie you and I have chatted before on this subject. Pleased to hear you made the leap. I am still unsettled, 6BR or 6 ARC. Though I have recently been thinking of just rebarreling my Model 10 but staying with the 223 caliber in a heavy barrel with a 1:7.5 twist. That would allow me to move up to the heavy bullets.
    I also looked at the Dasher, 6x47 and 6CM. I didn't want the extra work of the Dasher and the 6x47 and 6CM seemed a bit too much. And, if I didn't have a 1000yd range handy I'd would have stayed with the .223. The 6BR just seemed to meet all my criteria the best.

Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    I also like the 103 V tac automated bullets from Vapor trails, they are extremely consistent at a great price and Tom keeps plenty in stock.
    The bad thing about 6 br testing at 100 yards is that all the rounds go in such a small area it’s tough analyzing targets, most of my testing is at 300 yards and beyond allowing separation between bullets.
    I'll have to look those up.

Yep, I normally do development loads at 200yd, but, I figured my first groups would be kinda out of whack given a new barrel and break in. I was just trying to get a velocity/load curve. I never thought I'd see sub 0.5" groups on the first outing. It was a nice surprise.

Basic Member
    I also looked at the Dasher, 6x47 and 6CM. I didn't want the extra work of the Dasher and the 6x47 and 6CM seemed a bit too much. And, if I didn't have a 1000yd range handy I'd would have stayed with the .223. The 6BR just seemed to meet all my criteria the best..
    My two mentors are now shooting a 6BRA and a 6 Dasher.They both are pushing me towards the 6BR. I understand their reasoning though I am still interested ti the 6ARC in a bolt gun or staying with the 223 that I already have experience with. Not to mention I am already set up to reload the 223 but not a 6mm.

Basic Member
    I almost went with the 6BRA. Maybe one day. It seems to be a bit more consistent than the 6BR and even the Dasher. Nice thing is if I want to change I just need someone to run a reamer in the chamber.

And, yeah, that Redding Competition seat die and Forster size die aren't that cheap. Other than those it's just a matter of getting some bullets and brass. Seems lots of places have 6mm bullets and Lapua brass. Uses the same small rifle primers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Yes, Jim cannot be beat for service and all other categories!
    The 260 Rem is a great choice. For a hunting rifle, the straight 260 is outstanding. If You shoot a lot and reload, I like the 260AI. You can shoot factory ammo in it and Your 260AI case is formed. Thanks Mr. Ackley. The AI case provides maybe 100fps more velocity. But the main advantage is case life. The straight cases tend to grow a lot. The 40deg AI shoulder all but eliminates this. Ga, You’ve been around a while, if I telling You what You already know, maybe someone else can benefit from My Arrogant Opinion??
    Yes, I'm familiar with the AI cartridges having built a 223 AI 6 years ago. I didn't consider an AI chambering this time because of wait times for a barrel versus what's in stock most places.

I almost went with the 6BRA. Maybe one day. It seems to be a bit more consistent than the 6BR and even the Dasher. Nice thing is if I want to change I just need someone to run a reamer in the chamber.

And, yeah, that Redding Competition seat die and Forster size die aren't that cheap. Other than those it's just a matter of getting some bullets and brass. Seems lots of places have 6mm bullets and Lapua brass. Uses the same small rifle primers.
    I built a 6 BR 7 years ago and used it in local 600 yard matches. Excellent cartridge, mild recoil and excellent with 107 grain pills.

6 BR is definitely the easy button, very competitive and super accurate, checking the notes I’ve made the little cartridge likes plenty of neck tension and I (do not) anneal these cases rather let them work harden a bit they virtually last forever.

Basic Member
    That is excellent news, cause I have never annealed cases. I guess I can continue on in my methods.

Have some more loads to try out tomorrow. Will also stretch it out to 600yd to see how it does.

Basic Member
    Well, didn't get to 600yd. Wind was up a bit and the long range benches were occupied.

So, went back to 300yd range. Did some groups at 200yd to compare things. Did discover the 103gn ELDX seemed a bit better than the 108gn ELDmatch bullets. Still not a clear choice between 28.8gn and 30gn powder. Fun times. Worst group was just under 1MOA. Most were close to 1/2MOA. Had one 0.7" group at 200yd and a 1.3" group at 300yd (the other 300yd group was 1.6"). Since the wind was blowing 5-10 cross this all kinda surprised me.

The other thing of interest is the extreme spread on velocity was only 25fps and sd of 7. Not too shabby just starting out.

There is a low node around the 28.8 ish and s higher node between 29.6-30 after 30 gr. and depending on weather and freebore you will hit pressure with one group super small then the next will shift, and become erratic.

Basic Member
    Thanks. That is what my velocity ladder showed. 28.2gn/2680fps, 28.8gn/2740fps, 30.0gn/2840fps were the node centers. Lapua and Norma factory loads for 105gn is 2789fps. Since I usually do not load at max I will keep at the 28.8gn load for future runs, especially since it seems to do just as well as the 30gn. Not like I am competing at 1000yd and need every fps I can get.

Basic Member
    Shot some more today, also got to 600yd. 103 ELD-X bullets. A velocity ladder was fired and showed nodes at 28.1 and 28.9, so not far off from last batch.

I had loaded up some at 28 and 28.8 to see how they did. The 28.0gn stuff ran 2780fps, still with low es and sd. Also had what was for me a record group at 200yd, 0.48". This was followed by a 3" group at 600yd. So, am really happy with this setup. The 28.8 stuff ran 2850fps and had slightly larger groups, 1" at 200yd and 5.5" at 600yd. The wind was gusting ~10mph, but, it was from directly behind me so not much effect from it.

I put the .308 barrel on my Axis. What a difference in recoil. It weighs about a pound less, and with the larger bullets (155ELD-M) it seemed 'punishing' after the 6BR. Makes me even happier I did the switch. FYI, the Axis has a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, pillared and bedded.

Banned
    Shot some more today, also got to 600yd. 103 ELD-X bullets. A velocity ladder was fired and showed nodes at 28.1 and 28.9, so not far off from last batch.

I had loaded up some at 28 and 28.8 to see how they did. The 28.0gn stuff ran 2780fps, still with low es and sd. Also had what was for me a record group at 200yd, 0.48". This was followed by a 3" group at 600yd. So, am really happy with this setup. The 28.8 stuff ran 2850fps and had slightly larger groups, 1" at 200yd and 5.5" at 600yd. The wind was gusting ~10mph, but, it was from directly behind me so not much effect from it.

I put the .308 barrel on my Axis. What a difference in recoil. It weighs about a pound less, and with the larger bullets (155ELD-M) it seemed 'punishing' after the 6BR. Makes me even happier I did the switch. FYI, the Axis has a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, pillared and bedded.
    Yes, how quickly we adapt to lighter recoil. I’m quite fond of the gentle “push” from 260 in my heavy bench gun.

Basic Member
    Another range session 103ELD-x bullets. 28.0gn Varget 2780fps avg. 50rnds. Total es 25fps sd 8.0. Not great, not shabby.

First group at 1000yd, 9.0". Hit 6" gong 5 of 10 shots. Wind from rear quarter, had to aim 4-6MOA left to hit. Quite fun.

600yd I am now using soda cans for targets. About 3" wide so it tests my wind dope skills. Hit 5 of 6 shots. The 5" gong at 600yd was 10 for 10.

I am very happy with this setup. As mentioned before, my shooting skills still need some work to be more consistent. I noticed again today that I get lazy when setting up for a shot sometimes. I did like that my wind skills have improved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast