Thread: Finally picking up a 99E today

Finally picking up a 99E today

After years of wanting to add a Savage 99 to my collection, I've finally found a 99E within my budget. She's a 308 so I should still be able to find some pills for her to swallow (for now) until I get loading gear put together for her.
    -What do I need to know about care and feeding?
    -Will I commit absolute sacrilege if I have it threaded for a suppressor?
    Finish is pretty beat up and it's a press checkered gun (I'm guessing 70s-80s production.)
    - Is there any place to get a scout mount made for one of these. They just seem so damned handy but my old eyes don't play as well as they used to?
    Doc

Well, I picked it up and it was not a 70s-80s gun. It is, in fact, a 1966. Overall condition is pretty good. I had to order a Lever Bushing Screw and will be ordering a new set of sights for it. There was surface rust in the blueing over the action and barrel but nothing that 0000 steel wool and oil didn't make go away cleanly. I'm currently working on fixing a chipped out area right where the wrist of the stock meets the tang. Should be short work with some epoxy and time. I will eventually replace the stock but it appears plenty safe to shoot already.
    I'm really impressed with the feel of this rifle and can definitely imagine carrying it in the deer woods all day.
    OH...Now that I've seen and handled this rifle....there no way in hell I would cut on her or refinish it.

Doc

Basic Member
    If you’re still considering a suppressor, that’s not sacrilege for a ‘66 99E, in my opinion. In the end, nobody’s opinion matters but your’s. The barrel might be a bit thin at the muzzle, and you would definitely need a scope. I’m not aware of any scout scope mounts for the 99, but it’s a good idea.

Agreed. She actually cleaned up to be a lot nicer rifle than I initially expected for a 185 investment.
    Barrel is definitely too thin to properly thread.
    I may have to play around with the scout mount idea though. It just seems natural for the platform.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Screamin’ deal! I agree that the 99 cries out for a scout scope rig. I eagerly await your scheme.

Basic Member
    I’ve got a ‘59/‘60 99E series A in 300 savage.
    She will never don a scope.