Thread: Savage 99 Weaver Q mount with J type scope circa 1946-1950/ gunsmith information

Savage 99 Weaver Q mount with J type scope circa 1946-1950/ gunsmith information

Hello.
    I have a vintage pre WW2 99 in 250-3000. It has been D&T'd for what I believe is a Weaver Q mount for probably a J type scope. The mount is a vertically split base and ring with dual screws at top and single screw at base. The base screw goes in at an angle. Very similar to the modern Picatinny rail mounts by Warne, Leupold, and others but the base is radiused to fit receiver and not a separate base. I have seen a couple of these mounts on pre 64 win 70's and a similar design on an original WW2 k98 sniper rifle.
    I have seen pictures in post war 1947-1948 Outdoor Life and Field and Stream magazines on bolt guns but they list a Savage mount as well. The ad references a sales folder was available for information on the various combinations but I have been unable to look at one.

Does anyone have any info on them or a source? I just picked up a copy of the Vintage scopes and bases book but haven't had time to peruse it. I wish I could post a pic of the receiver but am out of state dealing with a death in the family so won't have access to the 99 for awhile.

My second question is about identifying a gunsmith. I have a commercial FN firearm with a 1951 dated receiver and a 1953 barrel in 22-250. It is marked on barrel bottom with the initials T.O.M. and a horizontal elongated diamond pattern. I found a testimonial in the Jan 1954 American Rifleman from a T.O.M. (gunsmith) of Sunset Hill Henryville PA regarding using Johnson Automatics barrels. I don't think my firearm has one of those barrels but seems to be unidentified for now. I believe this build was probably done by Thomas McCool of McCool Gun shop and Sunset Hill shooting range but have been unable to identify any other examples of their work. Does anyone have any firearms so marked or information about a T.O.M. gunsmith?

Ancestry dot com shows Tom McCool had a middle initial of "O" but his brother Milton's obituary reports his brother had a middle initial of "W". Apparently Tom, Milton, and an Anton were partners in the gun shop and range. Tom passed in 2000 and Milton just passed this last January and Anton some time ago. Tom is listed as a gunnery instructor in Texas during WW2 and as a member of the PA National Guard. I also found a listing of him testifying about some NY firearms legislation in 1965 and he was listed as a ordnance expert. The middle initial not matching is throwing me a curve. Apparently his father had the same name. The Thomas name was used several times in the family as a middle and first name.
    Thanks for assistance on either issue.

Basic Member
    Found this on the vintage scope web page.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...t+Chartvgs.pdf

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I think this may be the info I have been looking for. Now to find one.
    Thank you Model24.

Basic Member
    Here's a couple pictures of one that I have. Tough to find them. eBay is probably your best bet.

Basic Member
    Happy to help. Concur with EBay, but it may be a long search.

Glad to finally see a picture of one on a 99. I will continue to look for one now that I have some sort of identification. I have thought about just plugging the holes and using a peep sight but I really wanted to use an optic for coyote hunting. I don't want to swiss cheese the receiver anymore for another mount. I had a smith offer to plug the holes and Tig weld them and reblue since the original bluing is pretty worn but I didn't follow through since I was trying to identify the proper mount.
    My guess there are some of these around but removed so long ago that nobody knows what they or how to identify them. I would be curious to know the angle of the base screw. I assume they had to have some sort of jig or least installation instructions to properly drill and align the holes.
    I have an old scope like yours from another gun. I wonder if you could take one of the Picatinny rail style modern rings and modify it to work? You would have to radius the bottom side and adjust the crossbolt screw angle. Just spitballin here!