Thread: Savage LA CDI dbm

Basic Member

Savage LA CDI dbm

Does anyone know if CDI made LA DBM that would only work with a SA AI mag? I am looking at purchasing a stock from a gentleman and it currently has a flat back Long action bedded in it. The gentlemen is saying it only feeds SA AI mags. I believe the gentlemen but I don’t know what benefit you would have to running a short action caliber on a long action, but with short action mags. It’s seems that the benefits of doing that(Able to load longer COAL) would be negated.

Banned
    What caliber is it? If it’s a Short Action Caliber, than Yes, it’s only going to accept Short Action Mags in this config.

Basic Member
    It’s not caliber specific. It’s a Savage long action stock.

the CDI bottom metal fits long action, action screw spacing, but will only accept short action AI mags

Banned
    I apologize. I glanced past “stock”, thinking it was a rifle you were looking at.

Team Savage
    Perhaps the "benefit" was the man's long flat back was originally built as a short action cartridge from the factory and he did not want to mill out the rear portion of the long action to accept LA AI Mags. See pic below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA Pic.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	8544
    Upper action is a long flat back that came from the factory as a 243 Win with the rear of the LA not milled out and a short SF blind magazine attached. Lower action is LA round top with the action milled from the factory to accept factory LA CF mags. Notice the un-milled rear portion of the upper action mag well area as compared to the lower action. While I do not have first hand knowledge to answer your question, I had a conversation with CDI before they went out of business once about having DBM bottom metal created for the upper action and they told me they could do it without a problem. However, I went in a different direction with the build and did not pursue having the work done. For what it's worth, based on my converstion with CDI I would say it is possible and there may be some examples out there. Perhaps you have come across one.

Basic Member
    You know what, that makes perfect sense. I may be wrong but I think that all calibers of savage were once just configured in long actions. The gentlemen said that CDI did the original inletting but then he switched to a manners and manners did the second inletting with the CDI bottom metal. I think you solved the mystery. Thanks

Team Savage
    Glad to be of assistance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan gravitt View Post
    You know what, that makes perfect sense. I may be wrong but I think that all calibers of savage were once just configured in long actions. The gentlemen said that CDI did the original inletting but then he switched to a manners and manners did the second inletting with the CDI bottom metal. I think you solved the mystery. Thanks

You are correct. From 1988-1998, all Short Action Calibers were made on Ling Action Receivers. ‘88 was the end of the 1st Gen SA & ‘98 was the launch of the 2nd Gen SA.

Great post & info Wildcat!