Thread: First Savage 110 with a re-barrel to 6.5x55

First Savage 110 with a re-barrel to 6.5x55

A while back I found an older Savage 110 with a flatback receiver in .30-06. It had some cosmetic challenges, and was available at a very reasonable price.

I bought it basically because it was such a good deal, but I didn't really want a .30-06. I did some reading on this site and a few others, and it sounded like a 6.5x55 barrel would work with the existing bolt.

I sent off the barreled action to ER Shaw for a 22", 1:8 twist 6.5x55 barrel in bead blast stainless. It took about 8 months, but I finally had it in hand a few weeks back.

I'm currently using the old factory stock, but I plan to upgrade it in the near future. So far I've run 30 rounds of PPU through it and now I'm starting to work up some 160 gr Hornady RN loads with IMR-4350.

Basic Member
    Those 160’s will flat put the smack down on Whitetail. I have used them in 6.5 Criedmore and 260 Rem.

Banned
    Good stuff friend! The 6.5 Swede is the ONE that lead the way for those of us who love the .264” cartridges. Great choice. I use 260 Rem myself.

Man… should have come to us first. We woulda pointed you to the barrel at a good price, loaned you the tools needed (Action/barrel wrenches & Go Gauge), and talked you through doing the swap yourself! Woulda saved you a considerable amount of doh) Shoot…, depending on where you’re located I’m sure there’s one of us close enough would have even given you a hand doing it. Guys here already know anyone close enough to me is more than welcome. I’ll swap out a barrel no problem. And ALWAYS at no charge. Next time you’re needing something, don’t hesitate to ask. There are some sincerely good people with the tools & know how, and who genuinely enjoy helping other enthusiasts.

Edit: “Swede”

Banned
    Delete

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Good stuff friend! The 6.5 Swiss is the ONE that lead the way for those of us who love the .264” cartridges. Great choice. I use 260 Rem myself.

Man… should have come to us first. We woulda pointed you to the barrel at a good price, loaned you the tools needed (Action/barrel wrenches & Go Gauge), and talked you through doing the swap yourself! Woulda saved you a considerable amount of doh) Shoot…, depending on where you’re located I’m sure there’s one of us close enough would have even given you a hand doing it. Guys here already know anyone close enough to me is more than welcome. I’ll swap out a barrel no problem. And ALWAYS at no charge. Next time you’re needing something, don’t hesitate to ask. There are some sincerely good people with the tools & know how, and who genuinely enjoy helping other enthusiasts.
    That’s a gracious offer!

Honestly, I had a lot of irons in the fire project wise, so I was fine to wait on this one.

I will probably do the swap myself on my NEXT Savage re-barrel. Because at some point I’m sure I’ll see another 110 series unloved on a rack, and a new project will be born :D

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Those 160’s will flat put the smack down on Whitetail. I have used them in 6.5 Criedmore and 260 Rem.
    That’s the plan! My first Virginia rifle deer was with a 6.5x55 Remington Classic shooting 140 gr soft points.

The area I hunt in Loudoun County doesn’t really offer very long shots, and the brush can be thick. I’m thinking a 160 gr RN to the shoulder will drop them right there on the spot.

Banned
    Ahh.. so the 6.5 Swede holds some nostalgic sentiment for you. Very nice.

Edit: “Swede”

Team Savage
    6.5 swiss great rd.killed a few deer with it

Pretty sure the OP has a 6.5x55 SE not a 7.5x55 Swiss.

Banned
    Yes, thank you wbm. Swede, not Swiss. Brain Fart.

One of those Scandinavian places! “Da borg de borg, dash vernda-smorgan, ya!”

It may be too late to help Tannhouser, but I am about to rebarrel a model 10 and could use some advice. It is a 308 and has been an excellent shooter until now when it isn't. I have it in an MDTs stock and use the rifle for .308 days at Mifflin Co where it can (could) ring steel at 1,000. So what I am thinking is everyone should have a .308 . rebarrel in an upgraded .308, definitely threaded as it isn't now and spotting shots is pretty difficult inside 700 yds. It currently has a 24" barrel and that seems adequate, especially as a brake will push it to about 25.5. Still it looks like 26" barrels are what is most likely readily available. I'm looking for a really good barrel as it will regularly be used for long range work. Any thoughts appreciated.