Thread: Barrel Swap?

Basic Member

Barrel Swap?

Anybody actually performed a barrel swap on an Impulse? Curious about how setting headspace is performed vs. a conventional lugged action.

Team Savage

Basic Member
    Thanks for that. Interesting he had to use blue painter's tape as a no-go with factory setup. Also he had to use a barrel vise on the extension to get the nut loose.

Basic Member
    Are you changing caliber/cartridge in this barrel change, also?

Have you got an additional barrel extension for use with this new barrel?
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Basic Member
    Haven't tried anything yet. Still waiting for more specific tutorial, which may or may not be forthcoming. I've changed barrels on several 110s with success. What puzzles me is the feel of a chamber gauge as one approaches correct adjustment.

As luck would have it, the .308 OEM barrel seems to be a good one, but I'm still in load development. Just haven't had opportunity to get it and my ladder test out to the range.

Team Savage
    Got the 20" X-caliber CF barrel in lest week.
    Did a quick swap from the .260 barrel and took a few pics.
    Haven't shot it, but the CF barrel fixed the issue of the barrel heaviness, which was the only issue I had with this rifle.
    [IMG]E:\DCIM\132___01\IMG_1441.JPG[/IMG]

Basic Member
    So did you get a good feel for the way the headspace was set? Did you use a go and nogo gage set or did you use tape on the go gage?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    So did you get a good feel for the way the headspace was set? Did you use a go and nogo gage set or did you use tape on the go gage?
    I headspaced it like I headspace all of my barrels, tape on a sized case, but in this case I used blue painters tape instead of scotch tape, as that's what was needed to make it no go before I disassembled it the first time.

Basic Member
    So the blue painter's tape is usually .005" and a "standard" nogo gauge is .005" (.004-.006). makes sense. I've only used magic tape for conventional lugged actions and the ejection pin removed from the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    I headspaced it like I headspace all of my barrels, tape on a sized case, but in this case I used blue painters tape instead of scotch tape, as that's what was needed to make it no go before I disassembled it the first time.
    This headspace check was done without having the extension installed in the receiver, correct?

The locking/unlocking action is done by rotating the handle forward or rearward, so that should be enough for the floating bolt head to engage the barrel extension, I would think.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by E6Chevron View Post
    This headspace check was done without having the extension installed in the receiver, correct?

The locking/unlocking action is done by rotating the handle forward or rearward, so that should be enough for the floating bolt head to engage the barrel extension, I would think.
    Nope, extension is installed in the receiver.
    Then you screw the barrel into the extension until the bolt doesn't close with the taped/sized case, but does with an untaped/sized case.
    Apply some blue Loctite, Tighten barrel nut, check headspace again, go to range.
    Same process as a non extension receiver.

Basic Member
    This is such useful information. Thanks so much.

Did you find the action would twist a little bit when you were tightening the barrel nut? I've found that to be happening when working with the 10 and 110s, so I would use an action wrench to hold it in place. Did you feel like an action wrench would have been helpful? I believe what I used on my last project, which was a 10GRS I was working on for a friend, was actually a breech entry action wrench for Remington 700 but it fit well enough into the lugs to stabilize the 10GRS action when applying torque to the barrel nut. I have not tried blue loctite on the barrel nuts.

Team Savage
    I use a viper barrel vise and a Nylon strap wrench with some rosin for backing the action.
    Been using this method for over 30 years, as the strap wrench can fit any action, so no special action wrenches needed.
    I do purchase different style barrel nuts though, as I don't like the spanner type factory nuts.

Team Savage
    Made a couple barrel extensions, recoil lugs and new style stainless barrel nuts for my Impulse.
    Will be testing them this weekend.

Team Savage
    Have over 100 semi hot rounds through the .243 factory barrel and 50 semi hot rounds through the .260 barrel with the new QD barrel kit.
    No wear or tear on the barrel extension.
    Also did some POI testing.
    Shot three rounds, totally disassembled then reassembled the rifle and shot three more times at the same target.
    I did the tests at 25 and 50 yards, the results were fantastic.
    I need to find a better pic host to post pics as I can help build a QD barrel kit, but can't for the life of me post pics here.

Team Savage
    Here's the quick change kit in the white, the new blackened kit installed and factory barrel extension with new recoil lug and barrel nut, the rifle taken apart between every 3 shots fired and the targets.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    thanks!