Thread: Savage B22 Precision

Basic Member

Savage B22 Precision

A while back I bought a Savage B22 FV-SR, to be truthful has been somewhat of a disappointment. It miss feeds at about a 15% rate, usually one to two rounds per mag. I’ve tried various fixes, to no avail, and it’s been back to Savage twice and it’s still the same. I’ve tried 22 different brands/types of ammo, 12 different mags, some stock, others with slight modifications. A great shooter if I can get the round into the chamber, but the miss feeds make it frustrating to shoot. So it sets in the gun safe.

Last week, I happened on a new Savage B22 Precision in a MDT aluminum chassis, very nice looking. I have a Savage Mk II FV in a MDT-LSS RF aluminum chassis, that is an excellent shooter. I saw the Precision and decided to buy it. The first outing was abysmal, the fail to feed rate was roughly 50%, I was so frustrated I was almost in tears. The second outing started out where I had left off, but as the day wore on and my patience’s was waning, the rate started to drop, by the end of the outing I was at the 15-20% miss feed rate, the accuracy was great. Third outing, it took up at the same rate, by the time I had pushed another 500 rounds through it, the rate was almost zero. The fourth outing was a welcome surprise, I ran another 400 rounds through it, without a single miss feed. Saturday, I pushed another 400 rounds through it, without a single issue.

So after approximately 2000 rounds, the Savage, at that time and place, is a great rifle, smooth accurate, comfortable, a great trigger and extremely well balanced. If I did not know better, I would sworn that the rifle I shot the first day, was not the rifle I’m shooting now. The transformation is incredible, from a jam master to a well balanced rifle in roughly a week’s time. I do not know what had to wear in or settle in, but whatever it was, it did it. I can now shoot multitudes of ammo brands/types and numerous mags without issue. Now if I could get the Savage B22 FV-SR to respond the same way, I’d be a truly happy shooter.

Magazine quality/consistency seems to be a problem with both the A and B-Series rifles that use the rotary mag. Another thing that tends to cause problems is the mag hanger molded into the stock. Don't know if it's inconsistency from mold cavity to mold cavity, or if it's just a shrinkage thing, but some stocks just don't seem to hold the magazine high enough when locked in to feed reliably.

On the plus side, the mag hanger issue is a great excuse to upgrade the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    GNAP - I had been watching this thread of yours to see if you had found a solution on your B22FV-SR. I have had a B22 FV for a couple years and never had an issue with mis-feeds. I did work over the trigger group a bit and got it down to about 1.4#, with the safety blade remaining - could go a bit lower w/o that I guess but I like that feather-"warning".
    However, I did see a thread on RFC that may help you with either of your Bs that need help - here's the link, it's post #49 by the OP himself :
    http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/fixed-regarding-has-anyone-had-to-send-their-savage-b22-precision-back-to-the-manufacturer-for-failure-to-load-rounds.1251593/page-3

I've been looking at the savage B22 precision rifles online but have not seen one and held it in person yet. I do have 2 B22 fv-sr's one in 22lr and 22 wmr, never any problems with either of them functioning and shooting. Both being very accurate i'm questioning how much more accurate a B22 precision could possibly be, or if it would be a disappointment I might want to avoid?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    I've been looking at the savage B22 precision rifles online but have not seen one and held it in person yet. I do have 2 B22 fv-sr's one in 22lr and 22 wmr, never any problems with either of them functioning and shooting. Both being very accurate i'm questioning how much more accurate a B22 precision could possibly be, or if it would be a disappointment I might want to avoid?
    Underdog: I just finished watching some youtube on the B22. Personally, for a $579 rifle I'm not that impressed. I have a MarkII BV. The 10 ring on a TQ3 50 yard target is .85. My average shot size is .82 with the largest .91 and the smallest .74 and that's using CC SV ammo. So the BV is capable of more than I can give it but the BV palls in comparison to a Tikka T1 which averages .64 with the smallest .54 and largest .76 and that rifle cost $579.

If you showed up next to me with a B22 or the Ruger version I probably wouldn't give either a second thought. If you showed up with the Tikki, which is comparable in price to the B22, I would know it's going to be long day.

Team Savage
    Realize this thread was back in November. Are everybody's feelings on the B22 still the same. I was ready to get the Tikka( $550), my research showed it was the most accurate. Then Tikka raised the price $100 and I consider that gouging. So have been looking at the B22, both Precision and FVSR. Buds has them for $500 and $285. I am finding very little information about modifying them to improve accuracy and don't need another rabbit hole.
    Bill

Basic Member
    bsekf, I agree with DonG about the value for $$ on the Precision. One factor is "What are you expecting?" - The B22FV-SR is very accurate in it's price range. As I've said I have a B22-FV and with med-$$ ammo like Sk+ I can shoot ca 0.75" @ 50, with occasionally under 0.5". I also have a CZ455-SS Lux that shoots ca 0.5" with some groups at 0.25-0.35". The 455 is out of production but some exist in shops, and are lower cost than the CZ457. If you can't find a 455-Varmint, for the money I'd suggest either getting a CZ-457 Varmint or a Tikka and then plan to spend as much on a good scope to get the benefits. If you want better accuracy, consider a CZ457 Varmint MTR ( Match Target Rimfire ) which has a 'super tight chamber' that prefers med to high quality ammo like SK or Eley. Or Bergera or . . .

Basic Member
    Fasteddie. Your comment about the Bergara caught my attention. My neighbor is obsessed with the pursuit of accuracy in Tactical matches at our range. He started out with a Ruger 10/22 and added some mods. He wasn't satisfied so he next purchased a Ruger Precision and added mods - even change the barrel. What galls him is my Savage Mark II BV shoots just as well as those two rifles. Some days he scored higher than me - most times he didn't. Personally I don't think it's the quality of the bow and arrow - it's the archer - but anyway he next shows up with the Begara and some mods but turns out he still wasn't happy with the results - I could have picked up these 3 rifles from him for a song but didn't see any benefit. I could buy a used car for what he has tied up in 22 rifles BUT he wasn't done. Next he shows up with a Voodoo. Now that is a nice piece of workmanship and 75% of the time he scores better than me - maybe he became a better archer!I

I no longer shoot the tactical matches - just too much movement for my old bones but I'll check the match tomorrow because they've added new obstacles and I want to see if he's moved on from the Voodoo. If he has I might consider buying his Voodoo.

Basic Member
    Hi Don, Good to see your tag here. I've not logged on a lot lately, just looking at other folks problems. I get the 'moving' issue, hitting 73 next month and where I used to jog out to the 200yd berm to hang targets Now I just walk slowly. . . and only do the 'long shots' occasionally. Sometimes I'll shoot from kneeling beside the bench for 'tac drills' - Ha!
    I tried to send this as a PM but your box is full . . . mine was when I tried to send, too. . . like minds . . .
    This Summer past I bought the CZ455 above and spent a few days with it, getting a few groups under 0.5" @ 50 outdoors. No indoor ranges around here so I haven't been out since early Dec. Both my wife and I were 'presented' with Covid by the unwashed masses, since the Govt has dropped masking last Fall. That ate up most of Jan, right after Christmas until a week ago.
    So, for surviving I awarded myself a CZ 457-Varmint MTR. Unfortunately, with the recent snows we've been getting my range has a couple feet of snow, and a 1-mile un-plowed driveway to the firing line. I have to wait a couple months to see how well I can shoot this one. Think of all the $$ I'm saving by Not Shooting till April-May ;-0
    My B22FV had pretty well maxed out with some groups under 0.5" but most ca 0.75". I've got the trigger down to about 1#, with the safety still there. After all the time and efforts on the A22, I traded it for a '70s Rem 1100. I used to have one 'back then' so "everything old ..." sentimental'. I still have the 2nd spring you sent, so maybe I'll find a recipient for it this year ? Getting the 455 spread my time a bit, but summer days of 6-7 hour range visits kept me busy back then. Now I'm just polishing things . . . and cleaning my workshop.
    I Hope all has gone well for you this Winter (if you call it that down there ;-P ) Has the 'Cold Spell' across the South down there affected your area? This weekend we're getting "Polar Vortex" with 'Wind chill' of ca -40*C (about the same as -40F when it gets that low).
    It sounds like you're still getting to the range a good bit. I hope your neighbor gets on another buying spree so you can upgrade too!
    Anyway, I'll keep in touch,
    Ed

Team Savage
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Tikka is the better rifle, accuracy and trigger. The B22 Precision is still interesting, but there are too many R&D problems... I understand more torque on the action screws improves accuracy BUT the action screws fail at 35-40 ft lbs of torque. Factory recommends 20. From your experience the B22FVSR is just as accurate? And a lot less money.

Basic Member
    I don't think going very high on torque will help accuracy much. From what I've read the Precision has some sort of pillar/V-block like the standard B22 and tight is tight. The recoil of a 22 doesn't warrant high torque, so 20 or so should be enough in most 22s. Adjusting the torque to improve accuracy entails starting down around 15 In-pds and testing at increasing torque, but I wouldn't go over 35-40 anyway - And you need to use really good ammo to do this, like SK+ or Eley at least. Not "Average" ammo, even like CCI-MM or CCI-SV.
    And an Individual's issues with a rifle shouldn't 'condemn' all of a model. I see folks doing that just because they got a 'problem child'. My B22FV gets many 0.5" groups of 5 @ 50 with some better. For the price I think that's good. I don't think a Precision is worth the addtl $2-300, but I've never fired one. I just stepped up to CZ, and You're prob right to consider the Tikka if that's what you've been looking into. I still have the B22FV and don't plan on selling it . . . it does what it's supposed to.

Team Savage
    I am still mad at Tikka for raising the price 100 bucks and having to spend another 100 for a picatinny rail and a trigger spring. I looked at the Walmart Package MarkII, / 20 inch heavy bull barrel SR / cheap 3-9 Weaver scope in a Boyds adjustable stock for $450. It has the cheaper accu-trigger. If it had the red blade like the B22 Precision, I would have brought it home. Since I can't leave well enough alone, wonder if the MarkII and the B22 triggers will interchange? I have read ronaka's instruction for the MarkII trigger and I could do that, but it isn't easy.

Bill

If you're serious about accuracy and/or competing at more than a "for fun" level in the rimfire world, do yourself a favor and just go buy a Vudoo or a Lithgow. Yes they're 2-4x the price, but in the long run it's money well spent as you don't have to upgrade anything on them and you won't be wanting to replace it with something better a year or two later. As the saying goes, "Buy once, cry once."
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I Love my B22 precision....did the bolt fix and it cycles so smooth I don't have to raise my head between shots...my issue is fte, cases getting stuck in the chamber...but I'll figure it out soon enough

Squirls b Crazy

Basic Member
    sledvet77 , Have you checked your chamber for carbon buildup ? What ammo are you using ? My B22-FV I have no probs with anything from
    Rem-G to SK-RM to CenterX. I'd recommend using Boretech C4 for carbon removal, and a Teslong NTG100 borescope to check the chamber and bore conditions.
    Good luck -

Basic Member
    Welp, an update. Since the original post, I now have 5 of the B22 Precisions and the B22 FV-SR.

The Precisions have been a severe rollercoaster ride, I’ve had incredible highs and gut wrenching lows. At times they have been functionally perfect, then other outings 40-50% miss-feed after miss feed. The gist, is for me the mags are crap, I’ve tried many of the internet mag fixes, sometimes multiple fixes on the same mag, none worked. I found if they are new or have less that 3000 rounds through them and are tight, they function perfectly. When the mag wears or gets slop in the mechanism, the round no longer has an upper tilt, without the nose up attitude, they will not feed, if I reach in with a pencil and push back on the rim, the nose pops up and it feeds perfectly. At this point the minute the round nose sags, I retire the mag and get a new one, since following this routine the last 6000+ rounds have had exactly one miss feed, which I believe was my fault, as I sneezed, while running the bolt.

The FV-SR, has been the thorn in my side, incredibly accurate, but a 50-60% miss feeder since day one, after 2 trip back to Savage, with no improvement, it sat in the safe for a long time. About 2 weeks ago, a friend was getting rid of his FV-SR, I took the rifle and stripped it down to the barrel, receiver and the bolt. I took the parts and stripped mine down, I selected the best, or I thought were the best of the parts and reassembled my rifle. So far I’ve had it out 4 times, with multiple sessions with snap caps, the last range outing, it feed correctly about 98% of the time. While not perfect, it is much better than it ever was before. Again following the same mag theory as with the Precisions, it rifle now is at least to the point, where I no longer want to cut it in half. I’m not completely sold on it yet, but so far it seems like a positive trend, time will tell