Thread: Time for a new barrel?

Basic Member

Time for a new barrel?

My Model 10 243 is shooting erratically. Tonight I shot a couple groups and the first shot was way high, probably 2" higher than I thought I had it. Next four were within 15/16", about where they should be. I didn't think I screwed up the first shot but thought it was p0ssible. Let the gun cool, started another group. Same thing, first one was way high, next four were within 3/4 " and where they should be. Let it cool again and shot one more time. Way high again. I believe someone on this board said when a barrel is going the trip that is what they do, correct? It has been quite some time since I cleaned it and one other time I was unhappy with it and cleaning helped but it just had larger groups, not one completely out of the group. What do you think?

I do have a 7MM-08 barrel I could change it to.

Any idea how many rounds through the 243?

Banned
    Crazy cold bore first shot?

Basic Member
    I would estimate 1800-2000. I think that would be close but I haven't really kept a record.

Basic Member
    That’s a lot on a 243. Yes, Your barrel could be toast. As much as You shoot, You deserve a borescope, if You don’t already have one. I got one for $65 off Amazon that does all I need it to do. I would clean the barrel down to bare metal before giving up on it. Only way You’ll know that is with a bore scope.

Sometimes a simple muzzle touch up will bring it back, but with your round count,
    It's better then anything that your throat and lead is washed out. Have to use a bore
    scope to see if there is any fire cracking which I bet there is. If not, you could have the
    barrel set back and re touch the muzzle. Going this route, I'd pitch the barrel, myself
    and start with a clean slate.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    You already have a 7mm-08 barrel. Just go with that. With around 2K rounds in the 243 barrel, it’s not exactly a picture of youthful.

Basic Member
    I'd put on the new barrel too. One of the reasons I never wanted a .243 or other over bore cartridge.

My .308 likes to shoot from a cool barrel. When it gets hot it slings them all over. Problem is out here during summer barrel gets hot and stays hot. Even in the shade.

Basic Member
    I noticed the last few times before the groups weren't as tight as they used to be but I figured maybe I just had a bad day but it was so obvious yesterday I knew something was wrong. I have a lot of 243 brass and bullets for it, kind of a waste but maybe I can do something with them. I think a 7MM-08 would have a longer barrel life, probably between a 243 and 308. I never loaded maximum loads and was always careful not to get it overly hot but I know a 243 is not the best for barrel life. I imagine I might have to buy a wrench and firgure out how to hold the action too. I might be able to cobble something together or fabricate something. I hate spending money foolishly.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I'd put on the new barrel too. One of the reasons I never wanted a .243 or other over bore cartridge.

My .308 likes to shoot from a cool barrel. When it gets hot it slings them all over. Problem is out here during summer barrel gets hot and stays hot. Even in the shade.
    Same issue here in Georgia. I have to let my 308 sporter cool for at least 10 minutes between 3 shot groups and our bench area is roofed.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I noticed the last few times before the groups weren't as tight as they used to be but I figured maybe I just had a bad day but it was so obvious yesterday I knew something was wrong. I have a lot of 243 brass and bullets for it, kind of a waste but maybe I can do something with them. I think a 7MM-08 would have a longer barrel life, probably between a 243 and 308. I never loaded maximum loads and was always careful not to get it overly hot but I know a 243 is not the best for barrel life. I imagine I might have to buy a wrench and figure out how to hold the action too. I might be able to cobble something together or fabricate something. I hate spending money foolishly.
    I converted my Wheeler barrel vice to and action vice years ago. I use a cut action screw in the barrel ring that enters a corresponding hole in my oak block. That keeps the action from twisting.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67