Thread: 3d Printed Action Block

Basic Member

3d Printed Action Block

Not sure if anyone else would find this useful but I figured I'd post it. I recently bought a 6.5x55 barrel for a Savage Axis action that I wanted to change and didn't want to buy a barrel vise. I mocked up this set of blocks that clamps around the Axis receiver and allows you to clamp it in a bench vise to remove or replace the barrel nut. The bottom portion has a key that indexes into the magazine well of the action. I printed at 75% (cubic) infill - the first attempt at 35% infill cracked/crushed in the vise but at 75% it holds up fine.

At first I had considered adding some friction tape to the top block but honestly it worked perfectly without it so I figured without it the plastic would have less chance of marring the receiver finish.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...3sC3SDXp3Gv-qE

I haven't made to leap into 3D printing, but I'm sure it's special.
    Your link requires a 'download', I didn't see your idea in action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeav View Post
    I haven't made to leap into 3D printing, but I'm sure it's special.
    Your link requires a 'download', I didn't see your idea in action.
    The download is just the STL files needed for printing in case anyone wanted to print them themselves.

I didn't have any pics taken at the time, but went ahead and snapped the following:

Hey, that looks like a great idea !
    Thanks for posting the pictures. No doubt that many will find this idea useful !

Banned
    Brilliant friend! Great little tool indeed.

Basic Member
    Brilliant? Sorry, but no. That’s a great way to turn an action into a pretzel. Better hope that plastic breaks before the action twists.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Brilliant? Sorry, but no. That’s a great way to turn an action into a pretzel. Better hope that plastic breaks before the action twists.
    The amount of torque needed to twist the action almost certainly exceeds the barrel nut torque. Either way though - I removed and reinstalled the barrel on my Axis action with this block with absolutely no issues. The action is just as straight as the day it left the factory. As always YMMV, but it worked fine for me.

Basic Member
    Nice work.

Banned

Im referring to him MAKING something he thought up, designed and manufactured himself. Whether it is ideal for the work at hand & even our failures are HOW DIY’ers, builders, machinists and inventors hone their skill. A person thinking for themselves & willing to TRY something new… YES, that is brilliant. Ashame you don’t think so aren’t willing to commend someone’s effort.

The Action won’t twist. The strongest 3D filament by far is Polycarbonate. With a Tensile strength of 9,800PSI, it’s a fairly tough polymer. By contrast, the 4140 steel the Action is made from boasts a 95,000PSI Tensile strength. The blocks would fail long before the Action was harmed. AR15 builders have been using these SAME “Clam” style Receiver vice blocks to install/remove barrels for many, many years. In fact I have used Clam vice blocks to build more AR15 Uppers than just about anyone else I’ve come across since ‘05. Went through Two sets of blocks, each set finally giving up after more uses than I remember. I still have a third set, although I’ve been using a pin jig for AR Uppers the last 6 years of so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neilis View Post
    The amount of torque needed to twist the action almost certainly exceeds the barrel nut torque. Either way though - I removed and reinstalled the barrel on my Axis action with this block with absolutely no issues. The action is just as straight as the day it left the factory. As always YMMV, but it worked fine for me.
    Exactly! And again, I say Kudos to someone manufacturing their own part, tool, etc. Even in it not being how I choose to swap Savage barrels, I acknowledge & appreciate your effort in DOING! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Im referring to him MAKING something he thought up, designed and manufactured himself. Whether it is ideal for the work at hand & even our failures are HOW DIY’ers, builders, machinists and inventors hone their skill. A person thinking for themselves & willing to TRY something new… YES, that is brilliant. Ashame you don’t think so aren’t willing to commend someone’s effort.

The Action won’t twist. The strongest 3D filament by far is Polycarbonate. With a Tensile strength of 9,800PSI, it’s a fairly tough polymer. By contrast, the 4140 steel the Action is made from boasts a 95,000PSI Tensile strength. The blocks would fail long before the Action was harmed. AR15 builders have been using these SAME “Clam” style Receiver vice blocks to install/remove barrels for many, many years. In fact I have used Clam vice blocks to build more AR15 Uppers than just about anyone else I’ve come across since ‘05. Went through Two sets of blocks, each set finally giving up after more uses than I remember. I still have a third set, although I’ve been using a pin jig for AR Uppers the last 6 years of so.
    I can't see the design due to the method of picture posting. I will say, I can twist a savage action using a plastic device. Not an axis or target action but the standard savage action. I can twist them as fast as you can tighten them in a barrel vise or action clamp. Using one arm. All day long everyday until I fall asleep.The comparison to tensile strength has zero to do with the physics involved. I can distort it left or right even easier. Possibly without tools. I can prove it.

Ashame you don’t think so aren’t willing to commend someone’s effort.
    Really?

I too like innovation, trial error or otherwise known as R&D. Questioning a theory is part of it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Robin: for the picture the OP posted, think of the “Clam Shell” vise blocks for AR15 Upper Receivers. (You all up in the Koolaid, don’t even know the flavor, LOL!)

Uhh…OK I guess you’re filling a certain someone’s roll as Professional Curmudgeon? LOL! Ok, that’s all I promise.

(I really hope you can see this photo. You’ll appreciate it)

Basic Member

I'd have to agree. I've straightened more actions that have been twisted with an action wrench than any other reason. The best method still by far is a barrel vise. That's how they are installed by the factory, and how I take them apart. It is always better to grip the barrel to break a nut loose.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Robin: for the picture the OP posted, think of the “Clam Shell” vise blocks for AR15 Upper Receivers. (You all up in the Koolaid, don’t even know the flavor, LOL!)

Uhh…OK I guess you’re filling a certain someone’s roll as Professional Curmudgeon? LOL! Ok, that’s all I promise.

(I really hope you can see this photo. You’ll appreciate it)
    Curmudgeon....Nope. It is just sometimes you are demeaning to other posters and sometimes you use poor science to make your point. My inference about twisting an action was to counter the position that steel cannot be moved by plastic. A very week position in this case. I did not pull you out of your comfy chair and force you to take that stand. I watched in dismay as you grabbed it, owned it and tried to sell it. Then you chastised a guy for taking what I thought could easily be a solid position. I quint little thing you enjoy doing on a somewhat regular occasion. LOL. Please don't get your feelings hurt. It is that you make poking fun at you so easy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Only action I’ve seen twisted are Weatherby and Savage

Such a twist woyld be around its...Axis of rotation.

Well...In a roundabout way.

Banned
    Whow, whoa guys…. Let’s not get all twisted over the center line of what’s going on here. I mean, what are we?? A bunch of SAVAGES!?

Let me tell you about the time I twisted a Mauser action. I thought all went well until
    I put it all together then ran out of scope windage trying to zero. Scratched my head
    on that one for a while. I blamed the scope, I blamed the stock, I blamed everything
    but me. Chucking up the action and running an indicator showed the problem.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I twisted a long action Savage one time.