Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage 12fv

Bought my first USED Savage 12 F/V in 6.5 CM 4.5 years ago. Shot 6" groups at 600 yds once I found out what it liked load wise. Replaced the stock with a Boyd's AT-one, bedded, pillared and added some extras on the stock.

On my 3 rd barrel now (Brux) and started shooting 1000 yds. Best is 6.78" (five shots)

Just bought another one that we took in on trade at Cabela's. Keeping this one in stock condition for F class shooting 600 yds.

Wish I could load pics.

FWI, I sell guns at Cabelas, and over the past 1.5 years I get shooters coming in looking for something else besides a hunting rifle. My first recomendations depending on what they want to do with it. If long range 600 to 1000 yd I recommend a Savage in 6.5 CM, and a Vortex Diamondback tact 5-25X50, FFP. I know there might be better but so far I have 4 of my customers that have joined me on the 600 yd range with this setup and they are loving it. They can get into long range for under $1K while other have spent $2-3K on there guns and will not shoot any better.

Have fun with the Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    <SNIP>
    FWI, I sell guns at Cabelas,<SNIP>
    Since you work there I'll ask, are these just discontinued? Is that why they're continually out of stock?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    Wish I could load pics.
    It’s very easy to 3rd party host. This is the site I use. Don’t need to register or even provide email. Just download your pics, click on the image then Cut & Paste the “BBCode” in your thread. Easy, peasy, Lemon-Squeezy! https://imgbb.com/

From what I was told, it was a Cabela's exclusive from Savage. I think they quit making it about 3 years ago. If you go to Savages website you will not see the 12 F/V listed as a current product. I was luck that someone used it as a trade in.

Basic Member
    The 12 FV was never listed on the Savage site. Neither were the 10T-SRs.
    Those models were both built to Cabela's specs exclusively for Cabela's.

Several other models were also built special for Dick's Sporting Goods that I know of.
    I suspect that lots of posters could provide examples of special manufacture Savage rifle models as well.

Given the drops in staffing caused by COVID, I suspect that Savage is currently so busy producing rifles in their catalog and won't entertain any 'special retailer' orders.
    Hopefully, Cabela's continues to pester Savage into providing 12 FVs again.
    I would buy one in each of the four calibers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    The 12 FV was never listed on the Savage site. Neither were the 10T-SRs.
    Those models were both built to Cabela's specs exclusively for Cabela's.

Several other models were also built special for Dick's Sporting Goods that I know of.
    I suspect that lots of posters could provide examples of special manufacture Savage rifle models as well.

Given the drops in staffing caused by COVID, I suspect that Savage is currently so busy producing rifles in their catalog and won't entertain any 'special retailer' orders.
    Hopefully, Cabela's continues to pester Savage into providing 12 FVs again.
    I would buy one in each of the four calibers.
    It would be nice if they would have the left hand versions too. I have an older 12FVL in 308 in a Choate Varmint stock and it is a very accurate rifle. Though I would prefer getting one in 223 now days since my shoulders are bad and 308 is a bit much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123