Thread: Open bolt causing light firing pin strikes and misfire.

Open bolt causing light firing pin strikes and misfire.

Grandson missed doe this am. Pulled trigger and click. Looked at bolt and slightly open. Probably jarred up when placing hand into trigger group. Talked with other hunter, same issue. Took guns to range, yep just barely raise bolt handle and misfire. Drop bolt fully down with same cartridge,bang. Anyone else

Basic Member
    I've never heard of anyone in that situation before. Do you have other brands of bolt actions to see if they do it also? Reminds me of one time I took my son Javelina hunting and put him on a hill to my left while I pushed some Javelina out of a draw to him.
    They stopped part of the way up the hill to briefly assess the situation as they commonly do. I watch my son taking aim and after almost 10 seconds they ran off. He tried to shoot but the rifle wouldn't fire because he still had the safety on. Lesson learned.

Banned
    That there’s a new one on me. Are you simply curious if others have seen this happen, or are looking at it as a potential problem that needs a remedy?

Basic Member
    I've seen before and know exactly what causes it. When the Edge/Axis first came out they used a one piece firing pin spring. The spring has a tail on it to retain the cocking piece and therefore cannot rotate around the firing pin. The problem lies where the end of the spring has a sharp edge where it contacts the bolt assembly screw. When the bolt is turned down, the end of the spring bites into the assembly screw and essentially " unwinds" the spring, leaving it with rotational energy that opens the bolt slightly. With the bolt open slightly the cocking piece pin hits on the ramp before it is completely fired, slowing down the pin speed.
    When this problem was discovered, they came out with the 3 piece spring set up with 2 springs wound in opposite directions and a ring between them to act as a thrust washer. That way nothing nothing wound up on bolt rotation.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thank you. That explains the very light strike

Upon rereading your post, I noticed you referenced the first guns had this problem. Both these guns were purchased within the last 90 days at different local gun shops

Definitely would like fixed. Thanks

I forgot to mention both guns are axis II

Banned
    Your Axis II’s have the 2-piece spring already, so that’s not causing it. Unfortunately I don’t believe there is a fix here as far as the rifle is concerned. Just isn’t really a problem. It’s a matter of firearm awareness. Putting to muscle memory to verify the bolt is in locked position & not to jar the handle upward. This is something that could happen to to any rifle if the bolt handle got caught on something. It’s never happened to me, because I was always aware of the rifles position. Loaded, chambered, safety on or off, and just as being careful to never sweep another person, drop the rifle, or allow water in the barrel & never, ever, EVER pick up a firearm with finger on trigger or even touch the trigger until I was ready to fire. Not to mention treating every firearm as if it’s loaded. If I were watch a person empty a firearm then close the bolt and hand it to me, the first thing I’m doing is racking the slide, opening the breech, etc., & checking the chamber! I don’t care if I watched another do it! Every facet is important.

Thank you

Basic Member
    I can't say I've had one raise up without me moving it, but, I have had a failure to fire when I didn't get the bolt all the way down.

The other 'common' problem for me is with the lighter trigger pull setting on the varmint Accutrigger. Sometimes it doesn't take much for the safety blade to 'engage', such as chambering a round quickly. It will also do the same if I put too much side pressure on the trigger. Bumping the gun can also 'engage' the safety blade.

Sharp shooter hinted at the issue. If the bolt is partially open, the cocking piece pin will hit the cocking ramp. This will cause the bolt to rotate. In order for the firing pin to continue forward it has to drive the bolt downward. The inertia that is required to ignite the primer is lost so there is no ignition. This can happen even if there are no issues with the spring.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thanks to all well done