Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite "primer loader"

Your favorite "primer loader"

What is your favorite primer loader? I find Lee is hard on the fingers, RCBS, well it's good, but you have to work with it sometimes, so your comments?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

stevec

Re: Your favorite "primer loader"

Lee hand primer and for large volume the Lee that goes in the top of the press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=556149 Much easier on the fingers.

Steve

2 RCBS and 2 LEE. Both hand held. No having to change between small or large.

I can change the lee shell holders faster.
    RCBS dose not like to be turned upside down. Piston falls out.
    I can apply more controlled pressure with the RCBS.
    I can remove the tray from the RCBS and have a less clumsy piece in my hand to refill or change to a different brand.

Not a fan of using the old style press mounted systems. The new Lee system Steve linked looks like it would be worth a try. Cheaper then dinner at Mc D's ;D
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Captain Finlander

+1 RCBS but love the Hornady lock n load press configuration. It is the easiest press primer set up available IMO.

Lee Auto Prime 2 Press Mounted Priming Tool
    Anybody have pictures of the above? Looks nice, instructions/details are short!

It mounts on your press!

stevec

[img width=600 height=450]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/stevecphoto/100_2935.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/stevecphoto/100_2934.jpg[/img]

I used one of the new Lee hand primers with the square tray, Much easier to load primers in.

Steve

Basic Member

I'm liking the new RCBS universal. No shellholders to mess with. A little more leverage than the old models.

Team Savage

I like the rcbs press mount aps strip primer.

I also have the strip loader. A must have unless you want to buy
    loaded aps strips.

82boy

I have tried a bunch, for large volume priming off the bench I like the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=457599
    My problem is I don't prime at home so I need something portable.

I use Lee hand primers, they work well. I have several of them. I like it better than the RCBS handprimer. I have a RCBS handprimer and it is just too bulky and too bit. The feel is not that great on it.

Many friends of mine use the Sinclair tool and it is the cats meow, it is just too expensive for this poor boy, and you have to pick each primer up.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/si...s_Priming_Tool

Now a new deal as come up, and I am going to get one to play with if, they are good I may sell them. A new company called 21st century shooting supply
    http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool.php It uses lee parts.

Lee also has a new hand primer out, and I may try one of them, if I get the chance.
    http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/primtool.html

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/primtool.html[/url]
    Patrick, I tried one of these today. It has a different feel to it and is a little bulkier but a lot easier to load primers in.

Steve

Basic Member

I used the RCBS tool at home and the K&M tool at the range with single feed. I really like the feel of the K&M. About half the price of the Sinclair from Bruno's and feels about the same. I have used a friend's Sinclair. tim

Lee, without a doubt. Two of them on my bench. One for large and one for small. I gave Greg my RCBS. Hated that darn thing!
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    Lee, without a doubt. Two of them on my bench. One for large and one for small. I gave Greg my RCBS. Hated that darn thing!
    And I use it a lot! Thanks again ED! :)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    And good riddance! LOL....
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

LOL "ME" or "IT"

I used one of the new Lee hand primers with the square tray, Much easier to load primers in.

Steve
    Steve, you use the new square hand primer loader over the bench loader you show in your pictures?

stevec

No, a friend bought one and brought it over, I used it for 100 rnds of 20Tac. I still prefer my press mount but it does work well.

Steve

If that Lee set up is any thing like the priming system I had on my 12 ga Load All, it sux (it looks a lot like the on on my 12 ga loader I've since retired for a MEC 600 jr).
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Like the others I used the RCBS press system for decades and tried the Lee system and fell in love. I find it much easier to use and to "feel" the primer seat, once you have the Lee setup it's a no brainer. I've used Star loaders (pistol) and made thousands upon thousands of rounds, I think the Lee is almost as fast after you get into the swing of things. I've never been a big fan of "hand held priming", I know others are.

chestsprings

82boy

just info., that you may already know. the 21st century will only work with the "old round tray", as it is shipped. will not with the new square tray.

I bought a century unit. very well made & I like it a lot. could not get it to work , so called up John Perkins( owner of 21st century) & he told me after he started to sell his unit, Lee changed the primer tray, so his unit will not work with the square tray.

being a stubborned person, I modified mine , took about 1 minute. removed about 1 inch of the plastic rib on the bottom of the tray, this lets the handle close, & moves the ram. then I cut off the neck of a 30-06 case, to extend the ram of 21st century tool. this will let the ram go completely into the shell holder. simple, & I'm sure there are better solutions. I suggested to John to extend the ram about 1/4 inch.

one nice thing I like about 21st century unit is the primer depth can be adjsuted. comes with 6 shell holders, & very well made.

I'm happy with mine now. John's a great person to talk to about this tool.

Basic Member

I really like the feel you get from a hand primer, plus I can do it while watching TV ;D

LOL "ME" or "IT"
    The primer tool of course. Your welcome to come visit again any time.

sparky123321

For long range rifle reloading I've used the Lee hand primer tool for more years than I'd like to admit(getting old), but I recently switched to the K&M. The K&M is a little slower, but I'd never go back to the Lee. There is no comparison between the two when it comes to feel and quality. I was going to try the Sinclair primer tool, but figure I'd try the K&M first since it was half the price. I've been very pleased with that decision. I actually threw away my 2 trusty Lee hand primers after receiving the K&M.

I don't want to knock the Lee though. They served me well for many years and it was good enough to allow me to hit prairie dogs out past 750 yards.

I have the Lee Handheld Autoprime as mentioned above and have been very happy with it, but I barely use it now. I have been using the press mounted that fits the Lee turret press and the Lee Breech Lock Press (and maybe others?). This seems to wrok pretty well. the Large Primer unit works great, the small primer unit used to let primers slide through the slot on the feed tube (i guess thats what you would call it) so I just put a rubber band on it and it has been fine ever since. I like it because It keeps the round on the press so with the turret press I can insert the prepped brass and it doesn't come out until its a completed round. It looks cheap as heck, but so far its held up well and suits my needs.

If your needs require a handheld unit I have been very happy with my Lee Auto Prime.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

ive got a sinclair unit and the feel is amazing. ive also used the lee primers and they work too. its like comparing a cadillac to a corvette. both are good ones faster the other rides better, both will get you to the same point
    mdl 12 .223, bvss/"bondo" stock, completely polished,devcon bedded, sig zee rings, 36x40 leupold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast