Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night vision/ Thermal optic reccomendations? Feral Swine/Predator control

You might try searching thermal coon hunt and check out a few videos then. Im not really sure about much of the other stuff available but have no doubt that the Iray bolt i picked out for hogs and coyotes would be a great asset for a coon hunter.
    I was advised during my search that is be looking at about $2500 to get a decent thermal to fit my needs decent quality and image out to about 200 yards. The late night vision show is pretty informative but they seem quite busy if you call. Dark night outdoors spent well over an hour on the phone answering my questions over multiple conversations. They use these products constantly and are quite knowledgeable. Like other electronic devices it seems capability is constantly going up and prices coming down as the tech progresses.
    Good luck. Hope you find the right optic to fit your needs. PS Iray has recently come out with 1280 resolution optics for around $17K �� afraid Id buy once and never stop crying with that one lol
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    My cousin and i use a Bering Optics thermal for shooting crop damage deer on permit for the past 3 years. Dont know everything about them but it it has worked mostly well for us. It cost over $4,000 when bought and now has an upgraded model with better warranty. Amazing what is visible with it. Although it works i would compare other brads before another is bought. Pulsar is one i would look at.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    My cousin and i use a Bering Optics thermal for shooting crop damage deer on permit for the past 3 years. Dont know everything about them but it it has worked mostly well for us. It cost over $4,000 when bought and now has an upgraded model with better warranty. Amazing what is visible with it. Although it works i would compare other brads before another is bought. Pulsar is one i would look at.
    4000?? What… Rupees?

I’m just kidding. It’s just crazy to me…. I mean, my entire rig.. scope & all was’t $4000.. And it’s a pretty bad butt rig!

Basic Member
    Yes they are expensive. Most people don't want to spend that much money but its according to what and how much you will use it for.

It's been a while since I decided on the Iray bolt 320 with the 35mm lens and 3x base magnification and purchased it.
    So far its amazing and will let me ID rabbits and coons easily at 200 yards on pitch black nights. Coyotes deer and feral swine much further than that. So far its been a great thermal night vision optic that's held zero with really long battery life. I can go out with a full charge couple extra batteries in my pocket just in case and hunt dusk to dawn. I really like the tube scope style and it doesnt light up the whole blind or the hunter like some of the other styles of thermals like the AGM rattler or Bering hogster.
    The only down side I've found is the weight. Its pretty heavy at about 6-8 ounces heavier than the others I mentioned.
    It looks like as with other electronics features and resolution are still going up and prices coming down. Ive seen the Iray RICO G series 35 340s with $500 instant rebates at $2499 and the RICO MK1 35 640s 2X base mag for $2999 with extras including a focus lever, lens care kit, extra battery and a Dark Night Outdoors hat. First time I've seen anything decent in a 640 under roughly 5K. All the Irays come with 5 year 5 day turnaround warrantys.
    The future of night capability for sportsmen is looking pretty bright.
    On the other hand the pigs are getting educated quickly and where they used to stand around in the darkness thinking they were safe, now will bolt at the crunch of gravel underfoot or catching a little wind.
    BHJ

Team Savage
    Thanks for the update, have you had a chance to look through other thermals than your own ?
    While prices are getting cheaper and options getting better, you also need to look really hard at tha core, sensor, display size + resolution and Germanium lens specs the optics have before buying them.
    When I started in this game, 50 yards was a far shot, now I can reliably take 400 yard shots and the scope isn't the size and weight of a cinder block.
    Although I don't recommend ATN optics, I did purchase a 1280 Res ATN Thor 5 XD 3x LRF scope in April.
    In ATN fashion, the 3-4 week wait time that I was told would probably really be 2 weeks has turned into a 12 + week wait time because of some bugs their trying to repair with a firmware update.
    While I don't really need another thermal scope, even though I've had issues with my Halo X50 scope, the lure of a 1280 res scope with LRF + ballistic comp system that's made in the USA for under $6,400 was too enticing.
    I'm a sucker for thermal optics with bells and whistles waved in front of me, but the excitement has faded with the delays and if it's delayed again, I'm going to try and get a refund.

SJC

Yeah, I've tried a few. The AGM Rattler and The Bering Optics Hogster Vibe. Its my understanding that Bering Optics sources their cores from Infiray. Both manufacturers have good reputations. The others I've looked through had lower base magnification than the 3X in the TL35 Bolt unit I bought. It gives up a little in field of view up close which so far hasn't been a problem, but pays off bigtime in resolution and ability for positive ID at distance when hunting agricultural fields. I also like the controls on my unit better with the major functions being controlled by the top turret. Easy and ambidextorus. Being able to get cheap 18600 batteries and pop a replacement into the side turret for auxillury power seems much better than the power packs and cords velcroed to the rifle that ive seen with other units or propriatary batteries.
    Though I'm running mine currently on a Browning BAR DBM in .308 its nice to know my thermal is recoil rated for .300 Win mag. Just gives the reassurance of that " cushion" in recoil resistance vs some of the other units I was looking at.
    Actually the more I'm around similar 320x284 units the more I think my research and selecting the Iray bolt TL35 was an excellent choice for my needs.
    With everything in the industry moving as fast as it is, I think the 5 year/ 5 day turnaround repair or replace warranty may be a great selling point if I decide to sell it and upgrade.
    Heres a link if anyone wants to compare specs
    https://irayusa.com/TL35

Team Savage
    iRay has sure made a name for themselves with their warranty and they also offer many thermal optic's with advancements that many in the thermal optics sphere didn't think was even possible and at such a low price.
    You need to step into the 640 dark side !

SJC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12