Did a fair amount of searching over the last year for weight information and couldn't find all that I was looking for so I decided to do a post documenting two builds I completed recently.

First is a 116 Lightweight Hunter in 270 Win. The weakness of the lightweight stock and Axis magazine (1lbs 13oz) has been documented and I really wanted to try it in a MDT LSS chassis (2lbs 12oz) I had hooked up to my 35 Whelen. I prefer all steel scope mounting pieces so there is a little added weight over an all aluminum set-up. The 116 LWH in the chassis (6lbs 11oz) with steel one-piece Leupold base, std offset low steel rings (7oz) and a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (12oz) comes in at 7lbs 14oz.

I had previously built a 35 Whelen using a 110 Tactical receiver and Shaw magnum profile 24" barrel (3lbs 6oz) which was too long and front heavy for the MDT LSS chassis. I had the barrel chopped to 20" and re-profiled to 0.6 in. at the muzzle (now 2lbs 8oz). That was then mounted in an Accustock using stainless hinged floorplate bottom metal with the stainless trigger guard (2lbs 13oz). I also replaced the huge tactical bolt handle with a standard steel bolt handle which saved an ounce or two. The top end is the same all steel Leupold base and rings holding a Burris FFII 1.75-5x20 (10oz). That whole package now weighs 8lbs 11oz.

With all that said and done, I compared it to my gaggle of 1959 110L's. The two short action 110L's each weight 7lbs 11oz while the two long action 110L's weigh 7lbs 9oz. Each of these rifles have all steel scope mounting pieces and ~10-12oz scopes. Pictured is a 1959 110L in 30-06 with Leupold steel one piece base, low steel rings, and a Leupold M8 4x scope (10oz).

Had I kept the 116 LWH in the original stock, used AL base and rings with the Leupold VX-3HD, I'd have probably come in just under 7lbs total.