Thread: Case Spliting on Win .308 Brass

DIESEL TECH

Case Spliting on Win .308 Brass

I been working on a load for my 12F in .308 and a guy at the range gave me 500 rounds on WIN supreme match brass that was shot one time out of a 700 Rem from the police dept. After cleaning and full resizing, trim to lenght. I loaded it with 42gr of reloader 15 and push in 168gr sierra MK it shot fine but some of the loads the brass was damaged at the shoulder? All the rest of my loads where fine. I use lupua brass mainly. I check the chamber and it checked fine?? Am I missing something?

Rifleman51

Re: Case Spliting on Win .308 Brass

If your rifle is not splitting cases when using other cases, I'd suspect a bad batch of cases were given to you. They may have been reloaded a bunch of times or had someone aneal them wrong, or have some other problem such as some having been shot from a fluted chambered rifle then re sized. The fluted chambers wrech havock on case necks. They may not all have been shot from Rems.

If you are sometimes getting spit cases from new cases, I'd have the chamber checked to be sure it's within spec.

I'd pull the bullets, save the powder and throw away the brass you were given. Safety is much more important than 500 rounds of free brass. Keep the bullets to make fouling rounds from.

John K

Captain Finlander

How is your load performing?

If the case isn't split before it goes in, how would you know? I say shoot them up and toss the splits as they appear.

DIESEL TECH

Thanks guys, I went to the range today and out of 50 reloads 7 where damaged so I don't think I am going to reload anymore of that brass. The ones I reloaded where dead on..