Thread: Magnum rifle primers

Samdweezel05

Magnum rifle primers

I have 600 large magnum rifle primers and I was wondering if I can use these in some of my normal rifles, ie. .22-250, .308, .30-06. I bought them for use in my .300 RUM but I no longer have it. Can I just back down the powder to minimum levels and go up from there? Also have 100 large magnum pistol primers and I have no idea why I have them. Maby For my .44 mag that I no longer have. Can I use these in anything like my .45acp or a .357 or .500 S&W.

slaroy

Re: Magnum rifle primers

There are a number of loads for each of those calibers that could use the magnum primer. I have used magnum primers with ball powders in .270, .308, etc. for a long time. Some guys will say that it is not neccessary, but it works for me. And yes, you will want to start at minimum loads and work up.
    -Scott

Basic Member

My vote is with slaroy, my 2007 and older Speer reloading manuals list magnum primers with all ball powders.
    Ball powders are double base powders with nitroglycerin in them and these powers have "more" deterrent coatings than single base powders. Just look at it as the match just burns longer to get things burning better.

I have always used magnum primers with all my Winchester ball powders from my 30-30 on up, what do you think happens when you burn ball powder in a Contender pistol without a magnum primer. Shoot one with snow on the ground and look at all the black "pepper" on the white snow.

Rifleman51

Many ball powders are listed to be reloaded with Mag primers because the ball powders take more to get an even burn going. Stick powders usually have regular primers recommended.

I know more than a few very good reloaders that use mag primers for every rifle load.

It's best to start about 1 grain less when using mag primers in a load that recommends regular primers because they can raise pressure.

Be sure to try regular primers in loads with stick powders also. Your accuracy may or may not be better. It will take some experimentation.
    If the load calls for a Mag primer, use one, if it calls for a regular primer and you use a mag primer, just start your load work up with a little less powder. A mag primer may or may not give better accuracy with stick powders, that is something you will have to find out for yourself as every rifle is different.

John K

Samdweezel05

Thanks for the good info guys. I just loaded up a few .500 S&W with magnum primers to try out. I broke my last decaping pin for my .22-250 dies or i would have done a couple of them too.

Captain Finlander

The magnum primers give off a little bigger blast for igniting the powder charge and can be used ILO standards but Just to be clear, magnum rifle is not the same as magnum pistol. The diameters are less on pistol calibers.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander
    The diameters are less on pistol calibers.
    Captain i suggest you mic some pistol and rifle primers of both the same brand and different brands. I think you will find at least for large primers that they are the same altho different between brands. my cci primers measure 0.2105 for both large pistol and BR-2's and my magnum winchester large rifle measure 0.211. I didn't mic the wolf primers since they do run a bit bigger than U.S. made primers.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander
    The magnum primers give off a little bigger blast for igniting the powder charge and can be used ILO standards but Just to be clear, magnum rifle is not the same as magnum pistol. The diameters are less on pistol calibers.
    I have both magnum rifle and magnum pistol here so I used magnum pistol for the .500 S&W.

I always use mag primers just because I have a bunch. I use them in the 223 thru 243 and 25-06. I have only seen about a 20-30 fps increase from non mag primers in most reloads. Some are even under non mag loads in different powder wieght ranges. Just using a mag primer will not make the gun blow up.

dcloco

Just work up your loads when switching any component of your reloads.