Thread: model 114 scope base screw size

model 114 scope base screw size

I am reasonably sure this topic has been addressed i dont seem to find it. I am looking to put a pic rail on my new to me 114 in .270, but when i start shopping i find that there are two different screw sizes. How do i know which one fits mine? According to the chart my 114 was manufactured sometime in 2004. Any advice would be helpful so thanks in advance.

Team Savage
    This is what I was taught:

If you have a set of precision calipers, you can measure any screws that came with your firearm.
    #6-48 screws outside diameter measures approximately .138"
    #8-40 screws outside diameter measures approximately .164"

If you don't have a set of calipers or the screw to measure, you can use a 1/8" Allen key or hex wrench.
    If the hex key fits snugly in the hole in your receiver, then it is drilled for #8 screws. Do not force the Allen key into to the receiver ---- the goal is not to damage the threads.
    If the Allen key does not fit in the holes, your receiver is drilled for #6 screws.

If you are a visual learner, the link below is to a YouTube video from EGW that repeats this information.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSguOq3wZHQ

also consider the profile of the head. Different rail manufactures have different angles etc...
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Good info gentlemen. It likely uses 6-48. But always, ALWAYS…. CHECK FIRST. Exactly as wildcat described. Or, if you follow the video link, you can’t mistake them.

the video was helpful as i had just ordered the egw rail thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinfritz View Post
    the video was helpful as i had just ordered the egw rail thanks

So which size does your rifle have?

Im not sure u believe the egw comes with th 6-48 so if they dont fit i will be heading to the local hardware store the rail should be here sometime today

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinfritz View Post
    Im not sure u believe the egw comes with th 6-48 so if they dont fit i will be heading to the local hardware store the rail should be here sometime today
    It probably has the screws in the package. The shortest screw goes all the way to the front.
    In some cases the screw is too long and runs into the barrel thread. This is something you do not want to happen.
    Put the front screw in first. Tighten it down until snug, not tight. Try to move the rail. If the rail is seated on the action proceed until all are snug and then torque them.
    Always remove the front rail or mount screw before you remove a Savage barrel. Trust me on this one. I don't want to have to send you the tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It probably has the screws in the package. The shortest screw goes all the way to the front.
    In some cases the screw is too long and runs into the barrel thread. This is something you do not want to happen.
    Put the front screw in first. Tighten it down until snug, not tight. Try to move the rail. If the rail is seated on the action proceed until all are snug and then torque them.
    Always remove the front rail or mount screw before you remove a Savage barrel. Trust me on this one. I don't want to have to send you the tap.
    I have been known to run the tap into an action with the scope base on and screw in before putting the barrel on. hits that ever so long screw every time.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ok people the EGW savage 41100 came with 6-48 screws and worked perfectly thanks for all the input

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    I have been known to run the tap into an action with the scope base on and screw in before putting the barrel on. hits that ever so long screw every time.
    You might not be able to remove that front screw with the barrel on but at least you don't destroy the action/barrel threads. LOL

Finally got it to the range on thursday ok equipment rundown rifle Savage 114 .270,. scope rail egw , cheap weaver rings high , scope is Athlon Talos 4-16x40 mil dot . the only Ammo i had available to me today was federal premium 130gr tsx nickle case . average group s 1.25 to 1.50 . I know it can shoot better just gotta find what it likes

Banned
    Normal with most of the shelf loadings. Reloading is the way to test any rifle’s true accuracy potential.

My model 11 in 243 will give me sub moa groups with anything i feed it from cheap winchester factory 100gr all the way down to 75 gr hand loads which it loves