Thread: Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS - PICS ADDED Nov 28

TT3270WSM

Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS - PICS ADDED Nov 28

I have on order a Savage 111 FCNS in 30-06 (Accutrigger/Accustock) to do a switch barrel project that I've wanted to do for some time now. The following are the components that will be used in the barrel swap:

Shilen Select Match SS barrel (polished) - chambered in 6mm Rem AI 40 degree shoulder with a 1-8 twist finished at 28".
    Sharp Shooter Supply LVT stock in black black blue with adjustable cheek piece inletted for the DBM.
    Competition recoil lug - stainless - standard shank
    Tactical Bolt Handle - stainless

The factory barrel will be kept to round out the upper end of my rifle collection (so far), as well as the accustock for when I would need to use the 30-06 (Moose, elk, or anything larger within reason)

Everything is on order! Tooling required (barrel vice, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, go guage) for the swap and headspacing is already in my hot little hands, as well as all reloading components for both calibres.

Now I just have to wait for all the items on order to arrive. I hope to have the project completed by Mid August, barring any issues! I will be sure to post pics of the build as it progresses.

UPDATE NOV 28, 2010

Well, after waiting for over 8 months, all the pieces finally arrived and I have put together my very first switch barrel!

For optics I chose a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with the target dot reticle, Burris sig zee rings 30mm, and an EGW 20 moa picatinny rail complete the parts list.

Basic Member

Re: Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS

4 agonizing months. We've all been there and we feel your pain :'(
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

TT3270WSM

Thanks BrentWin, it's good to know that other members are pulling for me in this tough time ;D

During the wait, I figured I'd get up to snuff on my stock finishing skills, as my SSS stock will need to be finished once it arrives. Started a stock re-finish on my dad's old Cooey 16 ga shotgun yesterday. Got the scuffed, ratty looking finish stripped and an initial sanding done, just have to give it another couple of sandings with progressively finer sand paper, then get some stain and true oil on it. I'll post some pics when I'm done, so far it's looking pretty sweet!

Basic Member

It's best to keep oneself occuppied during these trying times.

The danger is that many of us have scrapped plans for the ultimate rifle and ordered a REALLY ultimate rifle barrel before the first ultimate rifle barrel arrives.

That doesn't make sense now, but give it a couple of months. ;D

TT3270WSM

Funny you should mention that, I've already been considering doing a .338-06 AI on top of the original build...I guess I'm progressing faster than some members

I think it's all the reading I've been doing on here, so many ideas, so little time! ;D

ellobo

[quote=TT3270WSM ]
    Funny you should mention that, I've already been considering doing a .338-06 AI on top of the original build...I guess I'm progressing faster than some members

Good thinking. The .338-06 is a great cartridge as is the .35 Whelen. I just acquired some 225 grain bullets to try in my .35, which was the build that got me interested is Savages. 225 grain slugs at approx. 2700 sounds interesting to me. And no magnum anything. I will fear nothing on this continent. Go for it.

El Lobo

Basic Member

And looking the other direction, you need a speedster. I would suggest and 25-06 AI.

See how the thing starts snowballing. ;D

TT3270WSM

Quote Originally Posted by BrentWin
    And looking the other direction, you need a speedster. I would suggest and 25-06 AI.

See how the thing starts snowballing. ;D
    I was initially going to go with the 25-06 as the factory rifle, but went with the 30-06 as I don't have any 30 cals in my collection. I one day may feel the need for a .25 bore speedster, especially since shooting my brother's new .257 WBY!

TT3270WSM

Well, it's been over 16 weeks, still waiting on my barrel from Shilen, as well as my parts from SSS. The word from Shilen is that I'll have to wait another 8 weeks...this is starting to kill me. Not that I could use the barrel or SSS parts as my donor rifle still hasn't arrived at my local gun shop. ???

I say, here's an idea...how 'bout you friendly neighbours in the US lay off from ordering barrels and buying up all the Savages for a few months. Some of us Canadians want to build us some new toys too! ;D

TT3270WSM

Quote Originally Posted by BrentWin
    It's best to keep oneself occuppied during these trying times.

The danger is that many of us have scrapped plans for the ultimate rifle and ordered a REALLY ultimate rifle barrel before the first ultimate rifle barrel arrives.

That doesn't make sense now, but give it a couple of months. ;D
    I've gone and done it, ordered another barrel before the original barrel arrived. Guessing on how long the initial barrel is taking, this newly ordered barrel might be here by next year!

TT3270WSM

Re: Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS - PICS ADDED OCT 14

A few pics of the donor rifle as currently set up (30-06)

I have more pics to take of the SSS stock which arrived Saturday along with most of my parts to do the switch barrel. The competition recoil lug is somewhere in limbo with the smooth barrel nut wrench from SSS, hopefully I can track 'em down before my barrel arrives. According to the guy I ordered it through, it should be here in the next 2 or 3 weeks!

mugsie

Re: Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS - PICS ADDED OCT 14

TT3270WSM - Amazing! I just built the same thing. I picked up a 111 FCNS 300 WM with accutrigger and DBM on BG, rebarreled tonight with a 260 Shilen barrel in 1:8" twist. I'm waiting on my stock from SSS to arrive too - the LVT with all the goodies. They told me 10 - 12 weeks. The wait is painful.

The rebarreling was unbelievably easy. Changed over the bolt head to a 30-06 bolt head cause the 300 WM is too large for 260. Also waiting on a new DBM, 30-06 size, to arrive cause no amount of bending would reshape the 300 WM mag lips.

I know how you feel. Can't wait to try mine either.

Good luck with your build.

TT3270WSM

Re: Switch Barrel on 111 FCNS - PICS ADDED Nov 28

Bump...updated original post with pics...enjoy!