Thread: Sig Zee rings installation?

MDM

Sig Zee rings installation?

I got a set of the Burris Sig Zee Rings 30mm. They are suposed to come with a set of zero inserts and a set of offset inserts. Problem is, I can't tell which is which. All of the inserts have a "0" on the top of them. What gives? Did I get two sets of zero inserts? How the heck do I tell which halves match up?

Re: Sig Zee rings installation?

Sounds like you got all Zero's. You should measure them, sometimes they get mismarked.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Cover Dog

Don't know where you purchased these but here is my guess. Somebody purchased 2 sets of rings. Needing the 10moa inserts he took the 10's from both sets, put the 0's back in the pkg. and returned that set to the store. Now you come along and buy that set, WTF 2 sets of 0 inserts.

About a year and a half ago Burris was having trouble with the company that makes the inserts. They were getting them marked wrong. +10 was really a -10 etc. thought that was all straight by now. Like it was said measure your inserts, maybe you'll get lucky.

MDM

Yes, I've got all zero's. The ring package was not really sealed, so I guess someone could have did a switch a roo. Another gift from SSS I guess. I will call Burris. Thanks.

Basic Member

I bought a set of 30 mm rings from Midway about 6 months ago and they were the same way. All zero's. But to make things even worse one set of inserts were for a 1 inch scope and the other was for 30 mm. The package was solidly sealed so they musta come from the manufacturer that way.
    Stu

Captain Finlander

I just went to Burris' home page and looked at the Zee rings. It is not clear that they come with anything other then zero inserts. Based upon their website offset inserts are available to gunsmiths, meaning you would need to request them and in the offset you desire.

From MidwayUSA's listing.

"Includes "Zero" inserts and +/- .010 inserts for both front and rear rings"
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander
    I just went to Burris' home page and looked at the Zee rings. It is not clear that they come with anything other then zero inserts. Based upon their website offset inserts are available to gunsmiths, meaning you would need to request them and in the offset you desire.
    have a look here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=712472
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Finlander
    have a look here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=712472
    Those are for 1" rings.

Basic Member

I have purchased 7 or 8 sets of new Burris Signature Zee 1" rings. They all came with "O Moa" inserts. The offsets have to be purchased separately. Maybe the 30mm are different. Never been there but I would like to know for future purchases.

Tim

They are different.

1" comes with 0's.

30mm is supposed to come with 0's and 10's.

boat action

The 30mm comes with 0 & 10 inserts.
    Try calling Burris. Maybe they will send you the correct inserts.

Rifleman51

If you buy a quality rail like a Ken Farrel scope rail, there is no need for the Zee rings, you can get higher quality rings and the scope will fit perfectly and not be damaged because the Farrel bases are made with such tight precision.
    They come in 20 MOA if your shooting long distance.

I always thought the Zee rings were to make up for sloppy rails or two piece mounts, which I would not have on one of my rifles.

I prefer a good solid ring, not one with plastic in it, but that's just me, an old Gunsmith who believes that a properly mounted quality base and rings are right after a good muzzle crown.

John K

If you buy a quality rail like a Ken Farrel scope rail, there is no need for the Zee rings
    Mmmm... I wish!

As much as I love the 12 F/TR guns I keep my NF 12-42x scopes mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Farrell base, to center up my windage and/or adjust the elevation. Too many times of the barrel/scope not pointing the same place, and with those scopes only having ~40moa of windage n elevation, there isn't any room for them to be 'off' much.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk
    If you buy a quality rail like a Ken Farrel scope rail, there is no need for the Zee rings
    Mmmm... I wish!

As much as I love the 12 F/TR guns I keep my NF 12-42x scopes mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Farrell base, to center up my windage and/or adjust the elevation. Too many times of the barrel/scope not pointing the same place, and with those scopes only having ~40moa of windage n elevation, there isn't any room for them to be 'off' much.
    Totally agree. If the alignment of the screws doesn't perfectly match the direction of the barrel, then it doesn't matter what kind of base you have. I have had Remmies, Rugers, and Winnies with mis-aligned screw holes over the years. Only have 4 Savage actions and they are all pretty close. All 4 have had Fred's T&T and maybe he recuts the threads in a way that makes everything true... not sure about that.

Personally I think putting a $100-300 set of rings on a scope is a waste of money (in most cases). My Burris Signature Zees have never failed me. If ain't gonna fix what ain't broke.

Luck, Tim

In my case... purty sure its that one big honkin' screw hole in the front end of the action

I've mounted different barrels - some point this way, some point that way, depends on how they are indexed. Had one that with a 30MOA Farrell base I needed 20 MOA left to get it centered up. Next barrel (same action) needed 10 MOA *up* to get zeroed @ 100ys.

I've had several custom barrels, from different manufacturers (including Douglas and Brux from SSS) and never had that problem.

hogwire

IMO Burris sig rings hold better without marking the scope. Then there is that alignment thing! I really don't like to put other rings on my rifles. If I do I'm goin to buy one of those scope alignment tools but..... why spend the extra money?

dgblum

I just purchased a set of the Sig Zee rings and I believe they come standard with the 4 "0" plastic halves inserts. If you go to the Burris website it shows that you have to purchase the offset ring "package" that includes all the other offset ring halves inserts.

Basic Member

Pretty sure I have the offset set that came with my last 30mm zee's. If burris won't make it right for you I'd be happy to offer them to you. I'll double check and make sure they are still around and are sitting where I think they are.

Basic Member

I use the Signature rings on all of my scopes that cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Even a set of lapped rings can leave marks on a scope. I just hate seeing a $1000 scope with ring marks on it. :'(

Andrew