Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Shank Long Action sources? Any new guns still being made?

Basic Member

Large Shank Long Action sources? Any new guns still being made?

Like the title says. This got discussed a lot a few years ago. I have a 7mm SAUM large shank barrel that I'd like to drop into a long action receiver.

IIRC for a while some LA savages were in large shank as well. But these days? Anyone know? Or know a source for just an action. That would be even better, but I've not been able to find one.

Basic Member
    Looks like the 375 Ruger is LA Large shank. But the prices for a new gun just to get an action are pretty steep.....

Banned
    The SAUM started in Small Shank, but quickly went to Large Shank. All SAUM cartridges now are in Large shank actions. But that doesn’t matter. You can run a SAUM in a Small Shank, Long Action with no issues. But having a Large shank barrel, you are limited. I’m not certain if they are currently made in long actions, aside from the RUM’s.

Basic Member
    The 375 Ruger models are large shank long actions as are the 338 Lapuas and 300 PRC's. Those are the current production models that come to mind. The 375 Ruger model, I believe the Alaskan Brush Hunter, will be the cheapest of the current models, most likely. Other than that, you might be able to find an older RUM action. They were small shank to start with too before switching to large, so you'd have to look at it to be sure.

Banned

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Yes, but.... Buds Gunshop has a new stainless 375 Ruger Bear Hunter with accustock, accutrigger for $875. Gunbroker has a lot of dreamers.... (seller wants $850 for a beat up 300 RUM)

I think I should look over the used gun racks at Cabellas regularly (currently pretty empty, but patience may pay off). OTOH, I could buy the bear hunter and throw the barrel in a corner for a future bear hunt. Ought to kill elk too. Wife says no new guns though. Gives me permission to rebuild, modify etc. But cannot enlarge the gun safe. And its packed already.

Basic Member
    Jeez I just got my 111 300 Rum for 480. And it looks very new, compared to that one.

Team Savage
    Forgive my ignorance, are the current 300WSM rifles not large shank?

Basic Member
    Yes the current WSM models are large shank. But they're also short actions. The OP is looking for a long action that's also large shank.

Team Savage
    Ah. I saw the 7saum part and missed the LA part.
    Thank you.

Basic Member
    Since 2003, any Savage chambered for a cartridge with a particularly fat parent case such as 404 Jeffery or 375 Ruger will have a large shank barrel. The change to large shank for these cartridge types began in 2002 but not all were converted in that model year. This article says G-series SN and later should all have the change. But the author used the word “should.” Because Savage.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes

So for long actions in that time period, RUM’s, 300 PRC, 26 and 28 Nosler should have large shanks (I used the word “should” too; because Savage). There’s evidence that some 7mm RM were made with large shanks. Maybe some other 375 H&H-based LA too. They are exceptions but they are out there.

Basic Member
    My 111 300 Rum was made in that range, small shank.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qtropwr View Post
    Interesting. Is it a stagger-feed or center-feed? If stagger-feed, is it a CRF or push-feed?

Basic Member
    Centerfeed 3 rd. Seems like pushfeed. Guy on youtube, has the exact same rifle with serial number 2 rifles from mine. Who-tee-hoo I think.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qtropwr View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you ever experienced sticky or even stuck extraction issues? Maybe with some of your hotter loads? That’s the reason Savage is said to have switched to large shanks for the “fat” magnums.

Basic Member
    Have not shot it yet. Just got it a couple weeks ago. Plan was for the action, going to rebarrel in a a heavy varmint.

Basic Member
    So I went and double checked the feed. It's a staggerfeed, which is pretty ridiculous for a 3 rd magazine, but that being said, the stock is pretty shallow .

Basic Member
    Why do you need a long action? The cartridge was designed to fit in a short action, hence the name - Short Action Ultra Magnum!

Just buy a Model 12 short action target action and be done with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Why do you need a long action? The cartridge was designed to fit in a short action, hence the name - Short Action Ultra Magnum!

Just buy a Model 12 short action target action and be done with it.
    He may want to be able to seat the bullets further out than what will fit in the short action magazine, but still wants a repeater.

I'm wondering when Savage will make Target actions again. I'm looking for a dual port and everybody seems to be sold out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
    I'm wondering when Savage will make Target actions again. I'm looking for a dual port and everybody seems to be sold out.
    I haven’t heard they stopped manufacturing the PTA. For whatever reason they’re not on the website. At least I can’t find them. But they are still listed in current PDF catalog. I did a quick search using the MPN and found an RBRP with .223 bolt head at Vizard’s:
    https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/savag...tion-savage-1/
    Anyway, it’s labeled as “In Stock.”
    If you don’t normally search using “Savage MPN” give it try. Seems to work for me.

There you go bridgeport, scoop up that dual port action!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowoulf2000 View Post
    I haven’t heard they stopped manufacturing the PTA. For whatever reason they’re not on the website. At least I can’t find them. But they are still listed in current PDF catalog. I did a quick search using the MPN and found an RBRP with .223 bolt head at Vizard’s:
    https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/savag...tion-savage-1/
    Anyway, it’s labeled as “In Stock.”
    If you don’t normally search using “Savage MPN” give it try. Seems to work for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    He may want to be able to seat the bullets further out than what will fit in the short action magazine, but still wants a repeater.
    That would be correct.

But I have since given up on a LA Large shank. Partly, because I realized that I would need to re-throat the barrel to allow for longer seating in the LA. The barrel was originally throated specifically with a dummy cartridge that allow seating of the 180 VLD such that it would just barely fit in the Savage internal box magazine. Savage SA are a smidge longer than Remmy, so it really didn't look that bad. I've started to question heavy VLD in the 7mm Saum. I think I'll try some lighter bullets and give up on the 1000 yard stuff. It doesn't hurt that in the meantime I have a 7 RM that is shooting the 195s good. So why try to achieve the same trick with the 7 SAUM??

Anyhow, thanks for all the discussion fellas. Shilen is sending my Saum barrel back today. They scoped it, reheat treated it, recrowned it, and agreed with me that they could not find a reason it was not a better shooter. I'm going to try again. This time in an XLR SA Chassis. Maybe my pillar bedding in the Boyds laminate stock was faulty..

Basic Member
    Not my preference, but I just thought of another option. I haven't seen it discussed in a while, but I know some smiths have done it. You can take the large shank barrel and have it turned down to the small shank size. Then it will fit in a small shank action.

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Not my preference, but I just thought of another option. I haven't seen it discussed in a while, but I know some smiths have done it. You can take the large shank barrel and have it turned down to the small shank size. Then it will fit in a small shank action.
    Requires someone that really knows how to set up a lath. There is not enough material to remove old and start new threads. You have to re-cut the old ones exactly or risk tearing them. If the 2 lathes do not match your going to have stress fractures.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast