Thread: Savage 64 G or 64GXP?

Savage 64 G or 64GXP?

I was given a Savage 64 as partial payment on a remodeling job.
    I'm a newbie to Savage gun world.
    They seem like a solid rifle.
    It has a monte carlo wood stock.
    No iron sights at all. Looks like it came from the factory like that.
    It doesn't have a bull barrel.
    Serial number 0770567.
    It has a Simmons Blazer 4X32 scope.
    It has 3/8 dove tail for scope mounts.
    I hope that I used correct terminology lol.
    I would have uploaded a picture of it, but this is my first time on the site. Lol
    I was just wondering if someone knows the correct make and model of this rifle.
    Thank you in advance.

Basic Member

Thumbs Up

Hi again patrick - Saw your post on RFC, too, and wanted to give you my 'guess' on the model. I think in the past there have been many variations on the models, not all of which have been listed on Savage website. I have a Green synthetic that has threaded barrel with a flash hider, that came w/o sights and has 2-piece scope mounts but didn't come with a scope! It's not listed currently on the site.
    I think yours may have come with a dovetail mounted scope (I don't know if Simmons was 'standard' for that model) since there are no Weaver mounts, so it would have been a GXP ? I can't guarantee this 'guess', but seems likely to me.
    Glad you got one with the wood stock, they look nicer than the plastic. I've got mine dressed up with a reflex dot and light and cheek pad.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    BTW - I use postimage .org for pics. Free storage and simple to use, and NO watermark like photo-b. Just do any pic-editing before you save the pic.

Hello Fast Eddie.
    I had forgotten that I was on this forum lol.
    I've seen many Savage 64s. Some GXB, Fvp that had wood stock and no iron sights, but then I would see all of the same 64s HAVE the iron sights. Oh well.
    On RimFiire I was in this same thread complaining about the Ruger that I own lol. I'm going to take a pain pill and get some sleep.
    Have a good day and be safe.