Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro classic build

Time for an update on the 300 H&H project. Hunting season came and went and I didn't use this. I have done further testing with cast bullets and am getting satisfying results. the rifle is much moire fun to shoot with cast loads. I'm using 159 gr. cast bullets with gas checks and conventional lube. These bullets came from Mount Baldy Bullets in Keystone SD. powder charge is 18.5 gr of Unique per the Lyman cast manual. primers are Federal large rifle. 3 shots over the chronograph were 1900 FPS , 1866, and 1905. group results for first group was 3" with 3 shots in the center measuring 1.375. The use of a 6 power scope and my aged-ed eyesight didn't help. Since I will be using this for Virginia whitetail cast will be more than suitable for any shots I'm likely to get from the stand I hunt.
    With cold weather here , the rifle is apart for final stock finish. Since this rifle is basically an African themed deal I will be installing a barrel band front sling mount. Some exotic African leather has been promised by a good friend and a properly made sling will be added at a later date.
    This has been a fun project and some what challenging from a parts standpoint. with the reduced cast loads it is a fun gun to shoot . the stock design reduces some of the felt recoil with full house jacketed loads also. Stock finish will take several weeks to a month. Meanwhile I have started 2 other builds which are progressing but do not include Savage actions this time.
    You are only limited by your imagination

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    Time for an update on the 300 H&H project. Hunting season came and went and I didn't use this. I have done further testing with cast bullets and am getting satisfying results. the rifle is much moire fun to shoot with cast loads. I'm using 159 gr. cast bullets with gas checks and conventional lube. These bullets came from Mount Baldy Bullets in Keystone SD. powder charge is 18.5 gr of Unique per the Lyman cast manual. primers are Federal large rifle. 3 shots over the chronograph were 1900 FPS , 1866, and 1905. group results for first group was 3" with 3 shots in the center measuring 1.375. The use of a 6 power scope and my aged-ed eyesight didn't help. Since I will be using this for Virginia whitetail cast will be more than suitable for any shots I'm likely to get from the stand I hunt.
    With cold weather here , the rifle is apart for final stock finish. Since this rifle is basically an African themed deal I will be installing a barrel band front sling mount. Some exotic African leather has been promised by a good friend and a properly made sling will be added at a later date.
    This has been a fun project and some what challenging from a parts standpoint. with the reduced cast loads it is a fun gun to shoot . the stock design reduces some of the felt recoil with full house jacketed loads also. Stock finish will take several weeks to a month. Meanwhile I have started 2 other builds which are progressing but do not include Savage actions this time.
    If this is to be African Themed you owe it to yourself to take a look stockwork and slings by Cindy Adendorff.

https://www.facebook.com/GunstockArtist.CA/

The work she does is truly artistic.

Banned
    159gr lead cast bullets @ just 2000fps? Am I missing something here? What are these for? That’s actually very close to 300AAC ballistics. Pretty anemic. Is this just a plinking round? Last update you were talking about 165gr Nosler, Sierra & Speer loads using 65gr of H4350 to start. (I’ve been following your thread the whole time.) I’m used to seeing 300H&H being 180-185gr pills & 2900-3000fps. Doesn’t even sound like a small Whitetail(like Coues) load to me. I’m not down with people using 300AAC either, just for measure.

I don’t get it. But I’m looking forward to seeing your completed project none the less.

Dave this project is a test bed like most of the projects I do. I have tested jacketed bullets in this rifle and it shows good hunting accuracy with those. I did not test heavier bullets as I have no need to use those. Here in my mountains a large deer will be under 200 lbs. They really don't take much killing provided shots are placed correctly. I'm pretty new at using cast bullets in rifles so this was an experiment. I looked at the Sierra loading manual and the lower to middle range of a 30/30 with 150 gr. jacketed bullets are in the 1900-2100fps range. That's pretty close to what I'm getting with this cast load. So it hardly is a "plinking" load as you put it. On the plus side of that I can load these pretty cheaply and can stand to shoot it quite a bit more given the condition of my 74 year old shoulder.
    I worked for 45 years in machining making all manner of things for other people. When I retired I had set up my machine shop to spend whatever time I had left making things that pleased me. Fort he last 5 years I've been enjoying that.And I hope to be able to do it for a few more years. One of the wonderful things about this country is we have the freedom to do that. I'm sorry that you don't "get" my intentions in this project. I don't mean to be a putz but just wanted to give an explanation.
    I realize the full potential of the rifle isn't being realized but it sure has been fun playing with it. I will never take it to Africa or Canada or Alaska to test it's full potential. Maybe someone else will get that privilege down the road some. I hope that happens.
    Meanwhile I'll continue with the stock finish and I'll post pictures when it is finished. This is a good forum and I enjoy it. I am sending a check for membership today.

Banned
    Dave this project is a test bed like most of the projects I do. I have tested jacketed bullets in this rifle and it shows good hunting accuracy with those. I did not test heavier bullets as I have no need to use those. Here in my mountains a large deer will be under 200 lbs. They really don't take much killing provided shots are placed correctly. I'm pretty new at using cast bullets in rifles so this was an experiment. I looked at the Sierra loading manual and the lower to middle range of a 30/30 with 150 gr. jacketed bullets are in the 1900-2100fps range. That's pretty close to what I'm getting with this cast load. So it hardly is a "plinking" load as you put it. On the plus side of that I can load these pretty cheaply and can stand to shoot it quite a bit more given the condition of my 74 year old shoulder.
    I worked for 45 years in machining making all manner of things for other people. When I retired I had set up my machine shop to spend whatever time I had left making things that pleased me. Fort he last 5 years I've been enjoying that.And I hope to be able to do it for a few more years. One of the wonderful things about this country is we have the freedom to do that. I'm sorry that you don't "get" my intentions in this project. I don't mean to be a putz but just wanted to give an explanation.
    I realize the full potential of the rifle isn't being realized but it sure has been fun playing with it. I will never take it to Africa or Canada or Alaska to test it's full potential. Maybe someone else will get that privilege down the road some. I hope that happens.
    Meanwhile I'll continue with the stock finish and I'll post pictures when it is finished. This is a good forum and I enjoy it. I am sending a check for membership today.

I wasn’t calling it a “plinking” load in that context. I asked if it was for plinking… Plinking round, as in the Act of. No need to be sorry to me.. I was simply confused from your last check in with ammunition type. Then this complete change. But I get it now. I understand, and don’t get me wrong… l don’t doubt it’s lethality not one bit. Shoot, a 22lr even, will kill about any animal, given enough time. In regards to 30-30.. yes, it’s close, in a few of the older 30-30 loads. Although, there is also more modern 30-30 loads, like the Hornady which is a 160gr @ 2400fps.. annnd, Not so close! Certainly what I’d look to if I was using 30-30. Never did though. I was always 30-06 during my short. hunting life. However, I have noticed in more recent years anyway, more & more hunters going to lighter & lighter loads as they are able, for their comfort. I get it. Not my thing, but I get it. But I left hunting behind when I left Arizona in 2008. Although the hunting here in Pennsyltucky is phenomenal! With giant corn-fed Eastern whitetail up to & even over 400lbs! Or take your 6 doe tags to fill the freezer with the better tasting venison. Unfortunately, just not able to do it anymore with being disabled. Sure I could sit in a blind, maybe 12yds away from a feeder and shoot fish in a barrel. But that weren’t never my idea of huntin’, so it’s just another of the things I had to say good by to. Is what it is.

When are the pics coming?

Basic Member
    I'd assume this isn't your first cast bullet setup. :)

Welcome to the club anyway :) It is fun.

In case you haven't seen these loads

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

I use the .30-30 data in my .308 and it comes close to actual. My favorite light load is Blue Dot, ~8gn. My accuracy loads use 3031 and 4166 at around 2000fps. I can shoot out to 500yd with the 210gn bullet I use.

What twist is your barrel? If 1:12 or slower you could get some significant velocities if you were so inclined.

I'm adding a couple images of the trigger guard element of this rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300HH3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	9132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300hh8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	9133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300hh9.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	9134
    This trigger guard is from an SKB side by side shotgun that was in the parts bin. The base was milled from 6061 T-6 aluminum and inletted into the stock. It will be anodized black in next batch. I'll post more pictures as the project progresses.

Charlie , I have not checked the twist yet but the barrel started life as a 30/06 savage barrel. It is likely a 1:10 I would think. When you speak of significant velocities what would be expected?

Team Savage

Very nice work, I like it and your choice of cartridge.

Thank you for kind words. I sure enjoy doing these projects

Basic Member
    .308 cast bullets with a 1:10 twist barrel will start to lose accuracy due to too high a spin rate somewhere between 2000 and 2400fps. If it is a 1:12 twist you could go up to 2400-2800fps.

I've tested mine with the 210gn bullet quite a bit. The best accuracy is just under 2000fps but sometimes I can go a bit higher. I use a lot of 4166/4064 in mine.

For low vel stuff I use 160-180gn bullets at just under 1200fps. Blue Dot has worked for me but many others are ok as well. Depending on bullet you could stay under supersonic.

I'll give an update on the retro build. Ive done testing with Jacketed bullets in the 150 weight and cast load testing with 150s, 160s and 170s. Accuracy results for decent hunting accuracy has been achieved with the 150 jacketed and 150 gr cast with gas checks. My hunting plans for this project will be Virginia mountain whitetail deer in an area limited to 140 yd. shots. Due to recoil considerations I will use the cast bullet loads the most. Expectations for this project from an accuracy and function stand point have been met. The gun is now apart and stock finish is under way. I have decided to use an Ebony fore end tip and pistol grip cap. At this time I 'll forego pictures and will show progressive pictures up to finish a little later. This project has been interesting and fun and I challenged myself to keep it low budget. So far it is still under $600 including price of the 300 H&H reamer. So far, so good. I will return a little later with final results before long. Thanks for looking .

Banned
    Good news brother. Glad you’re enjoying it.

I have to say, I still can’t quite understand using this:

With basically the power of this:

But I don’t have to get it. Long as it’s serving your purpose, that’s all that matters. Now, when you get the stock all refinished, & Rig back together, make sure to posts some pics. I certainly DO get that!

Team Savage

I'll give an update on the retro build. Ive done testing with Jacketed bullets in the 150 weight and cast load testing with 150s, 160s and 170s. Accuracy results for decent hunting accuracy has been achieved with the 150 jacketed and 150 gr cast with gas checks. My hunting plans for this project will be Virginia mountain whitetail deer in an area limited to 140 yd. shots. Due to recoil considerations I will use the cast bullet loads the most. Expectations for this project from an accuracy and function stand point have been met. The gun is now apart and stock finish is under way. I have decided to use an Ebony fore end tip and pistol grip cap. At this time I 'll forego pictures and will show progressive pictures up to finish a little later. This project has been interesting and fun and I challenged myself to keep it low budget. So far it is still under $600 including price of the 300 H&H reamer. So far, so good. I will return a little later with final results before long. Thanks for looking .
    Excellent, looking forward to future updates! Making and shooting cast accrately is very rewarding, especially when you can shoot something like your H&H at modest recoil levels for pennies vs full power loads unnecessary for your intended use.

PhilC thanks for the encouragement. I've pretty much always done things "swimming up stream" so to speak. As they say I have means , opportunity and some small amount of skill to try things that obviously don't make much sense to most folks. But what the heck, I'm retired and retirement is about doing what you want to do, not what you have to do. If something interests me I'm likely going to go investigate it. Most of my projects throw a lot of labor and ingenuity at it instead of $$$$$. The challenge for me is to do it at the least expense and make it successful and enjoy it after it is done and I do enjoy using these as often as possible. That's the beauty of this great country we live in, the freedom to do what we like. Posting on here will hopefully encourage others to " branch out and swim upstream" and try new or old things and not follow all the latest trends. I know it's not for everyone but I can't help but believe there are others that think similar to me. Those are the ones I'd like to encourage .

Team Savage

I get it and do much the same myself. Just finished breaking in my 7BR which will be a dedicated bench rifle used to shoot cast in CBA competition. Talk about swimming upstream "everybody" is shooting 30BR but I've been a 7mm fan since the 80s so my caliber choice was a given. I even got my 12FV 6.5 Creed to shoot good groups with cast and that was with the 1:8 factory barrel!

Have a couple magnum rifles that have become safe queens since I stopped hunting. I'm thinking about casting for them too, at least I could enjoy them rather than just wipe them down and look at them.

PhilC thanks for the encouragement. I've pretty much always done things "swimming up stream" so to speak. As they say I have means , opportunity and some small amount of skill to try things that obviously don't make much sense to most folks. But what the heck, I'm retired and retirement is about doing what you want to do, not what you have to do. If something interests me I'm likely going to go investigate it. Most of my projects throw a lot of labor and ingenuity at it instead of $$$$$. The challenge for me is to do it at the least expense and make it successful and enjoy it after it is done and I do enjoy using these as often as possible. That's the beauty of this great country we live in, the freedom to do what we like. Posting on here will hopefully encourage others to " branch out and swim upstream" and try new or old things and not follow all the latest trends. I know it's not for everyone but I can't help but believe there are others that think similar to me. Those are the ones I'd like to encourage .
    Well put Hdskip. BTW Awesome Project and Execution. If I had wide open spaces and the energy, your influence would spark another project. Thanks for sharing it. I still wish I had built that 8mm Mauser that I used to dream of. I have 2 of those scopes, one of wich would have sat on top.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Indeed.. that was well formed, honest & quite a thoughtful post, Hdskip. Made me smile reading it. Cheers

Basic Member
    Very nice work!!

I'm in no way trying to steal your thunder, but what you have done reminds me of what I did to a similar '87 vintage Savage 110. It all started because I had a 6.5x55mm barrel just hanging out!!

I purchased the Savage 110 for $200. I hated the factory paint on finish and the shape of the stock. So, I reshaped it, took off a bunch of wood, installed pillars, bedded the action, finished the stock with AquaFortis, the "finish" pic doesn't show the extra coats of TrueOil that I applied. After this pic I also cut 3" of the barrel and reduced the LOP (I cut the stock) so it was 13.5". Made the firearm much easier to take afield.

Mine is not a the very nice restore work that you have done. I can only hope this inspires others to take the "jump" and do what works for them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BBmLezh.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	9338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qFm8ikOh.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	9339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbuuL0rh.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	9340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xj3cJmAh.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	9341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Is6iGUEh.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	9342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IPOop9Ih.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	9343

Basic Member
    If You guys keep this up You’re going to make Me start trolling the PAWN SHOPS

Steeltrap I would carry that rifle any day. Great job. I probably should have done pillars in mine. Maybe next time. As far as a barrel I've done a couple builds because I had interesting brass..... GrenGuy I encourage you to go pawn shopping and join in this madness..

Basic Member
    Steeltrap I would carry that rifle any day. Great job. I probably should have done pillars in mine. Maybe next time. As far as a barrel I've done a couple builds because I had interesting brass..... GrenGuy I encourage you to go pawn shopping and join in this madness..
    Thanks Hdskip! It's a fine bolt action and for Pa whitetail deer, a great cartridge! It will do the job!!

Now....go peruse some pawn shops!!

Your mountains are much like mine and suspect whitetails are about same. That is the intended use for my project.

Basic Member
    Your mountains are much like mine and suspect whitetails are about same. That is the intended use for my project.
    Our Appalachian Mountains run in the same "vein". I've been to Virginia (not hunting) and would agree...the terrain is similar. For the most part, whitetail here in Pa are taken in under 100 yard shots with rifles. 20 yards with archery.

My purpose of that rifle build was to have one for any one of my grandkids that expressed an interest in hunting or even just shooting. That's why, after those pics I posted, I cut 3" off the barrel and maybe 1\2" off the stock. (That was an interesting setup using a DeWalt circular saw). The rifle is much more compact and easier to carry, shoulder, and shoot.

Good luck with your project....post progress as you go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast