Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a crazy idea

Basic Member

Re: Got a crazy idea

Thanks for the ideas.

Russ

Did this with a 17 cal K-Hornet out of a Contender pistol. Turned a solid brass case witha 1-16th hole through the length, then drilled for a 17 caliber pellet at the neck and a large rifle mag primer in the base. Was good for head shots on rabbits out to 20 yards. All you heard was the hammer on the Contender falling. ;D ;D

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Did this with a 17 cal K-Hornet out of a Contender pistol. Turned a solid brass case witha 1-16th hole through the length, then drilled for a 17 caliber pellet at the neck and a large rifle mag primer in the base. Was good for head shots on rabbits out to 20 yards. All you heard was the hammer on the Contender falling. ;D ;D
    Thanks, good feedback.

Basic Member

Hmmmm, does anyone know how hard the steel in a "Go" headspace guage is? That would be just about perfect, except for the missing neck!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Hmmmm, does anyone know how hard the steel in a "Go" headspace guage is? That would be just about perfect, except for the missing neck!
    What about taking a case and filling it with JB Weld, letting it harden then drilling it?

Just a thought
    Dolomite

Bad Water Bill

once the JB has cured you can turn a groove to hold an O ring without fear of cutting thru the wall of the case.

Keep us posted

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill
    once the JB has cured you can turn a groove to hold an O ring without fear of cutting thru the wall of the case.

Keep us posted
    Could you explain this a bit more for me?

Bad Water Bill

Dolomite is filling the case with JB Weld. Once it has cured you now have a solid object that can not expand and seal the gasses directly into the bbl.

Outlawyote solved that problem by putting an O Ring at the junction of the neck and shoulder. The ring might come off because there is no way of keeping it secure. Now you have an object stuck in the chamber which will be dangerous. Time to pull another bbl.

The brass is to thin to cut a ridge to hold the O Ring without separating shoulder from neck. By using the JB, the cartridge can be drilled to contain the gas in a much smaller area and the ring keeps the gas pushing the pellet out the bbl and not allowing gas to seep into the chamber area.

All of this work can be done with only an electric drill and a file if you use the SLOW setting JB Weld. It will take more than 4 minutes to fill the case with that thick stuff.

Hope this helps

Basic Member

With respect to using an original rifle casing .......... as I recall the drill size for converting it to a current sized shotgun primer was "letter drill ..... C ..... "

Something like .242" ???

(This is from memory and another forum)

Three 44s

Basic Member

I think once you fill the case with JB weld you will get a much more energetic pellet because of the less inside the case. In my original shooting I was using full sized cases with small rifle primers. I bet if you reduced the case capacity and used a small rifle magnum primer you would get a much fast lauch of the pellet.

Just some thoughts
    Dolomite

BTW, I haven't tried the JB Weld trick, it was just a after thought.

Basic Member

Will have to give it a go and see what happens.

The biggest trick, MIGHT be to actually find the primers ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12