Thread: Savage Sporter Question

Savage Sporter Question

Hi, I'm a new member on the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with some information. I recently acquired a Savage Sporter in .22 cal. It's not marked model 23 or 23AA, etc., just Savage Sporter. SN is 85,xxx. It does have the schnable stock. Because of it's age, I figured I would pull it out of the stock and clean it up. It was pretty straight forward but when I put it back together the front magazine retainer has play in it and I don't understand why as it didn't before. It seems like there is only one way to assemble it with the front screw going through the hole in the magazine retainer. However the hole in it is slightly larger than the screw which is then allowing the play. I'm obviously doing something wrong but have no idea what that might be as it seems simple enough. Any thoughts? If anyone had a assembly diagram that might help. Also, with an 85,xxx serial range, any idea when it might have been made? I like these old Savages and am looking forward to shooting it. Thanks for your help.

From what I gather all Sporter models had an escutcheon (spacer/washer) for the forward action screw. Check under your workbench (part 31 in the Numrich Arms schematic linked below)

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...av/sporter-23c
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thank you. Unfortunately I can't find it and Numrich appears to be out of stock. Do you know of any other place that might have one? Do you know if they are metal or rubber (in case I have to improvise)> The picture makes it look like its rubber