Thread: 110 Receiver Styles

110 Receiver Styles

Looking at current 110 models and it seems there are 2 receiver styles: an open top used by most models, and a closed top and left side used by the chassis rifles and the 110 Timberline.

The closed style looks like it would be stiffer and help with accuracy.

Does anyone have any information about the differences between these two styles?

Banned
    Yes, the shrouded port actions are stiffer. The model 12 Target with shrouded port and NO magwell is the strongest. The Elite Tactical is a shrouded port, Nitrided stainless steel action that has a magwell. It is my top pick. However, the cheapest you can get into one new is like $1800. No thank you! The 110 Timberline is shrouded but uses a bottom bolt release. (Not as desirable.) Now there is the 110 Scout & 110 Haymaker which are both shrouded port with magwell. They are Carbon steel, but that almost every Savage I’ve had anyway. Brand new, they can be found for $800 or less. And I’ve seen used examples for less than $500. That would be my pick.

Basic Member
    The question is...do you shoot well enough to take advantage of that stiffness? If you shoot benchrest and groups less than 1/4" then go ahead. If you are a 1/2" or 1" shooter than any Savage will do OK for you.

Banned
    Exactly! I don’t mind my standard action, because my crippled, half blind butt would never see the accuracy potential anyway. And that IS all the stiffer action gives; and Accuracy “potential”. Doesn’t mean it’s definitely GOING to be more accurate, simply because of the added stiffness. Ya know? And even if it was, we are not talking some GREAT increase inaccuracy. It’s more like maybe a couple HUNDREDTHS of an inch... at best!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The question is...do you shoot well enough to take advantage of that stiffness? If you shoot benchrest and groups less than 1/4" then go ahead. If you are a 1/2" or 1" shooter than any Savage will do OK for you.
    This is true. A properly bedded action with a cartridge of moderate to light recoil, you will probably never see the benefit. I do like the shrouded actions better but I'm not sure I can prove anything but it being harder for a backyard Savagesmith to twist and tweek.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    This logic would suggest that a Dual Port Savage Target action is less accurate than a single port. It also suggests that a Savage Axis action should be more accurate than a 110 action. I don’t think either is necessarily true.

I think heavier actions are revered to support heavier/longer barrels?

Banned
    I agree with you Gren. The shrouded Actions ARE indeed stiffer. There is no question there. But that is all. Now added stiffness does give a “potential” for increased accuracy. That word is the key, potential. It certainly does not mean it WILL be more accurate. Absolutely not! We’ve all seen rifles with open style Actions doing 1/4” groups with ease. In a case like that, would a shrouded Action INCREASE accuracy? I don’t believe so. Just as Robin said, I also do prefer the shrouded Actions. But I’m certainly not giving up my standard Model 10 Action just to get a shrouded Action. No way. But if I found a good deal on another with a shrouded Action in the future, absolutely I would grab it.