Thread: Savage Model 24C Series N - No safety?

Savage Model 24C Series N - No safety?

Hello. I am a new member. And apologies if this is a repeated lost. I thought that I posted this question last night, but it appears not to have taken. So I am trying again.

I recently bought a Model 24C Series N (.22/20 gauge--serial number begins with "B"). I've always wanted one. It has some tiny rust spots here and there, but after a good cleaning it looks fine. In working the action, it seemed like the hammer was being prevented from fully connecting with the firing pins--as if a safety was on. Here's the thing: this gun does not appear to have any safety at all. I have looked and looked, and no safety. I did dry fire the gun a couple of times, which I realize is not a good thing to do. But I just wanted to see if the hammer would connect. Instead it always appears to be in "half-cocked" position. I'm wondering if anyone's has experience with this particular model and might suggest any solutions. I have not attempted to fire the gun with ammunition loaded.

I will try to post pictures.

Thanks for your help.

The hammer itself won't make contact with the firing pins on these, what actually hits the firing pin is the barrel selector atop the hammer. Before anything I would take it out and try firing a live round from each barrel - you may be fussing over nothing. If there is a problem it's likely either something got down into the workers that's preventing the hammer from dropping fully or the barrel selector is worn/damaged and needs replaced. Numrich's would be your best bet for finding a replacement if needed.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

empty chambers! pull back in the trigger and push the hammer forward. dose it travel further then when you don't pull the trigger?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    FIND a manual for it !
    chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.savagearms.co m%2FDAM%2Fassets%2Fpdf%2FManuals%2Fmanual_24.pdf&c len=1027837&chunk=true

this is available at the SAVAGE arms site.

BE safe out there !

Thanks, everyone. I was able to take the gun out to the range, and it fires fine. It was my misunderstanding of how the hammer of a combo gun makes contact with the firing pin. The guns works great. Thanks for all of your help.