Thread: AccuFit stock recoil lug recess too narrow - what gives?

AccuFit stock recoil lug recess too narrow - what gives?

I'm mounting a Savage 110 tactical short action and a 1" Shilen barrel to a Savage AccuFit stock, and the recoil lug recess in the stock is too narrow (0.174") to allow me to use the recoil lug which came with the barrel, which measures 0.244". I've looked at the many lugs available on the Pacific Tool & Gauge site, and the thinnest lug they offer is 0.187", going up to .5", but nothing in the thickness of the recoil lug slot in the stock, so this suggests that the 0.174" dimension is not a standard one.

My question is, why would Savage build a stock for which recoil lugs are not available? Or, if they are available, where would I find one that fits this stock?

I could try to mill my existing lug down to the proper thickness, but holding it immobile on the mill table is a challenge, and because it's stainless of an unknown alloy, I risk work-hardening the material and wrecking the lug. Alternatively, I could try to mill a larger slot in the stock, but since the forend of the stock is tapered, it'd be difficult to set it up so the slot is true to the mill table.

It'd be a lot easier to buy a recoil lug that fits. Can anyone suggest where I might find one? thx
    Jeff

Basic Member

AccuFit stock recoil lug recess too narrow - what gives?

I bought an accustock specific lug for the last barrel I dropped in. Not only is the accustock slot thinner, the sides are more squared up.

I ordered one from MidwayUSA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=819939

Greg

Banned
    There is no fear of “Work hardening” by milling the lug. Go slow & use machine oil. Or water if it’s set up. And opening opening up the slot would be equally easy to do.

But yes, you can just get a new one.

Basic Member
    The real question is, why would Savage change the dimensions on such a part? Just frustrates a lot of people for no good reason.

Flat recoil lugs are good as is a flat a perpendicular surface of the action and barrel nut. Factory recoil lugs are not flat. Milling your lug will result in something relatively flat if you use a fly cutter and tram your head in close. Grinding is the ultimate if you have the right setup. I like flat.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Absolutely Robin! A surface grinder IS the ultimate. Like the SGA that Travis Wuertz designed..... And I figured out HOW to build his design on the CHEAP! (For home Knifemakers like myself) This gets 10” knives to within .0015”-.002”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmObPiEtjo

That is pretty nice there dave. I have grown to like the 18 inch Blanchard we have at work. I can get a really good finish with the non segmented wheel and can hold a true .0001" flatness or even better. On Thrust discs up to 8". Stainless is tough due to the magnetic work holding but a little experience and it is doable.

When I first found how tapered and imperfect the factory recoil lugs were I would grind the lugs down to about 90% clean up on either side and drill for a locating pin. That started the Savage accuracy journey for me.

Basic Member
    The accustock lug I bought doesn’t have the nub or protrusion that keys into the slot on the receiver. Thoughts on using as-is or welding and grinding a bump to fit?

Banned
    Oh Don’t get me wrong Robin, the Surface Grinder Attacments(SGA’s), we knifemakers build, are NOT in the same league as a Blanchard! No way! I seen those hold in the .0005” & under range. The SGA won’t get close. But that level isn’t needed for most things.

Thx, Greg, this would be easier than trying to mill my existing lug, appreciate the recommendation. Do you know the diameter of the barrel hole? My barrel is 1.0". thx

Basic Member
    My lug measures 1.058 ID. Fits on a EABCO Accuracy barrel sku 127-SV22250

https://www.eabco.net/EABCO-Accuracy...e_p_15619.html

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpatton00 View Post
    Thx, Greg, this would be easier than trying to mill my existing lug, appreciate the recommendation. Do you know the diameter of the barrel hole? My barrel is 1.0". thx
    Houston, We have a problem. Measuring over the threads you should get 1.055" + .002"/-.000". Which is probably what you have. :)