Thread: Model 24C - Hammer not contacting, no safety?

Model 24C - Hammer not contacting, no safety?

Hi, everyone. I am a new member to this forum and a new Savage owner. While I have been a gun owner for some time, there have always been a few Savage classic models on my Wish List. This week I found one of those: a Model 24C Series N. Yes, it is a bit used, but otherwise seems in good condition.

The one issue I see is that when pulling the trigger, the hammer does not seem to make contact with the firing pins--neither the .22 nor the 20 gauge. It stops as if it is hitting up against a safety. However, upon numerous close inspections this gun does not appear to have any safety! (I will try to post photos as I am learning how to use this board). Note that I just picked up the gun yesterday and have not had the chance to actual fire love rounds through it. I have only dry fired it a few times. (I realize this is not recommended but have only done it a couple of times

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this particular model. Might this be a defect? While I have taken apart several of my own guns to perform repairs in the past, I'm very careful about this one and would rather not have to do that.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

https://ibb.co/cTyFn2M
    https://ibb.co/xLWV3vt

Basic Member
    try to search down an operator /owners manual for that model, not being a smart ass, but they are usually enlightening
    and safely educational .......... ( but look carefully as many "manual" sites are tainted with virus and it ain't corona )

Have you attempted to fire the weapon?
    I've seen mechanisms as you describe that have a lot of 'spring back' and when in a firing mode the hammer does indeed strike the firing pin and then faster than you can detect visually leaves the contact point and rests safely dissengaged.
    Chuck a cartridge in there, and give her a squeeze.

barrel selector set in proper position?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor