Thread: Axis II component weights - FYI

Team Savage

Axis II component weights - FYI

I just dove into the world of Axis for an inexpensive build I wanted to do. In the process, I figured I'd weigh each component and post that here in case anyone found it useful.

Original rifle - Axis II stainless XP (package with Bushnell Banner scope) in 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel).

Stock weight, with short action magazine - 1 lb. 11 oz.

Action weight - 1 lb. 15 oz.

Barrel weight (22" factory sporter contour) - 2 lbs. 8 oz.

The total package, as sold, was 6 lbs. 5 oz., so a few ounces under the "6.5 lbs" you see listed everywhere.

The scope, rings and bases came to 1 lb. 3 oz.

I've pulled the barrel and installed a 22" X-caliber featherweight stainless barrel chambered in .284 Win. That brought the bare rifle weight down to 6 lbs. 2 oz. With my weaver bases and rings + Weaver 6x38 scope the whole package now weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. Just right for a mountain rifle in my experience.

I hope this helps someone.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I just dove into the world of Axis for an inexpensive build I wanted to do. In the process, I figured I'd weigh each component and post that here in case anyone found it useful.

Original rifle - Axis II stainless XP (package with Bushnell Banner scope) in 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel).

Stock weight, with short action magazine - 1 lb. 11 oz.

Action weight - 1 lb. 15 oz.

Barrel weight (22" factory sporter contour) - 2 lbs. 8 oz.

The total package, as sold, was 6 lbs. 5 oz., so a few ounces under the "6.5 lbs" you see listed everywhere.

The scope, rings and bases came to 1 lb. 3 oz.

I've pulled the barrel and installed a 22" X-caliber featherweight stainless barrel chambered in .284 Win. That brought the bare rifle weight down to 6 lbs. 2 oz. With my weaver bases and rings + Weaver 6x38 scope the whole package now weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. Just right for a mountain rifle in my experience.

I hope this helps someone.
    You can also send the bolt to LRI and have it fluted and use Talley Lightweight Rings and bases to shed a nit more weight.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    You can also send the bolt to LRI and have it fluted and use Talley Lightweight Rings and bases to shed a nit more weight.
    Roger that. I have Talleys on my 110 LWS. They are about an ounce lighter than the Weaver bases and rings I have on the Axis currently. I love the Talleys but I don't like having to remove the scope from the rings every time I swap barrels. So since this is my "test platform" I'm going to stick with the Weaver setup for now. Only two screws to loosen. If I ever settle on a barrel for that Axis, then I'll go with the Talleys.

Team Savage
    Incidentally, I also have a stainless 22" .308 Axis barrel, and it's 2 lbs. 6 oz. on my scale. 2 oz. lighter than the 6.5 CM, due I'm sure to the larger bore.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Roger that. I have Talleys on my 110 LWS. They are about an ounce lighter than the Weaver bases and rings I have on the Axis currently. I love the Talleys but I don't like having to remove the scope from the rings every time I swap barrels. So since this is my "test platform" I'm going to stick with the Weaver setup for now. Only two screws to loosen. If I ever settle on a barrel for that Axis, then I'll go with the Talleys.
    I think Chad charged me $65 to do the bolt back in 2017 and the turn around was about a week.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I think Chad charged me $65 to do the bolt back in 2017 and the turn around was about a week.
    I have a fluted bolt on my 110 LW Storm. Honestly I don't think it makes that much difference. My Axis bolt is very smooth now. I don't think I'm going to mess with it but I do appreciate the info.

Spent some time at the range with the stainless Axis II and my 7mm-08 Shaw barrel (fluted by Twisted Barrel). Darn thing shot lights out. 3/4" with 139 Interlocks BT's and 120 TTSX's. I'm not changing a thing. :D

Basic Member
    My Axis is a Compact in 243 that I bought to have a lighweight gun for Javelina and Coyotes. Those are respectable groups from the 7-08. I shot one for years in High Power Silhouette.