Thread: Old 110 30-06 conversion to???

Old 110 30-06 conversion to???

I have my Grandfather's Savage 110 in 30-06. He was a merchant seaman and always wanted to go deer hunting but never got the chance. The rifle has an issue with not extracting after firing. A gunsmith told me it wouldn't worth to fix because it would need a new barrel. I would love to take a deer with this rifle one day. I already own a 30-06 and was wondering if I had to change the barrel maybe I could change it to another caliber? Also Grandpa was kind of a techie for his time so I don't think he would mind if I updated the stock . Any suggestion on a stock and caliber to convert to? I've never gone deer hunting myself, beside 30-06 and 308 I'm not sure what caliber to pick. I did do a search and I didn't find anything. Thanks in advance

Basic Member
    Well, you likely need to find a Savage mechanic to work on it. If I were doing something like that, I could see a conversation to 6mm Creedmoor or 280ai, depending on mood. A Shilen barrel can be picked up from NSS for reasonable money….stock from Bell and Carlson…and some new optics.

Need the Savage expert to figure out how to get you a decent 1.5-2.5lb trigger!

These older guns with staggered feed mags are getting near impossible to find the magazine part for, so your best bet would be to stick with a cartridge in the -06 family like the .25-06 Rem or .270 Win.

Also curious why the gunsmith said the barrel would have to be replaced. Short of a very rusty/pitted chamber I don't see how the barrel would affect extraction, and if it's not real bad one could simply try polishing the chamber first before going to all the expense of a rebarrel. Just need a suitable bore mop that's a little larger in diameter than the body of the 30-06, a 3-piece cleaning rod and some metal polishing compound. Chuck up the last section of the 3-pc cleaning rod in a drill and go in from the back of the action after removing the bolt and run the drill at a slow speed. That will do the body area of the chamber. To do the neck/throat area you'll just need a standard 30-caliber bore mop using the same process. Clean the bore/chamber out real good when you're done and see if it helped any.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Do not condemn the barrel too quickly. Until you get the rifle evaluated properly. The gunsmith may have had dollar signs in his vision The extractor problem could also be corrosion or crud blocking the extractor. A few pictures would help figuring out what might be wrong, especially of the bolt head. Get a cleaning kit and thoroughly clean the rifle. Examine the bore for any corrosion or pitting. After that try shooting it. Then make a judgment. There is nothing wrong with a 30-06 as a caliber choice. Barrel change options were noted above but there may be no need to change.

If the extraction problem is only after firing, then on a wild guess, I'm guessing the brass is expanding into a rough chamber.
    Follow the process Jim outlined. A thorough cleaning of the bolthead would probably be beneficial as well.
    Maybe some crud or something like residue/varnish from WD40 could be the culprit.
    Bunch of my dads old guns were non functional when I inherited them from WD40 residue and time.
    As far as calibers go, deer beg to be shot with a .30cal. I've never been under or over gunned when deer hunting with a 30-06.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I'm wondering if your "gunsmith" had no idea what was wrong and didn't want to admit it. Most any 'smith worth his salt would have several ideas for saving that barrel....
    Maybe a picture of your bolt face/extractor might help see any problems...
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Something got to be really dirty, sticky and rusty in there. Kroil Oil should do some good. To big honkin jeep - I beg to differ, deer love to be shot with a 270 or 45\70 or anything that ends in 70. A 470 might've a bit much.

Banned
    You say the rifle has an issue with not extracting after firing. Have you experienced this yourself? In what way? Does the bolt rotate normally & will simply not come back? Does it come back, but the case is still in the action? Could be different things based on what you mean by “not extracting”.

I do agree with others as for the Smith you spoke with. I wouldn’t put much on what he said.

Jake, do you know how to post pictures? Maybe of the bolt head, possibly light up the chamber with 2 or 3 lamps or flashlights etc...
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

First off I would like to say thanks. In response to Hoback, I have fired the rifle and it was difficult to even move the bolt and yet alone move the bolt to the rear. Also I made a mistake the rifle is a 110E not 110C if that makes any difference? Here are the best pics of the bolt and chamber I could do. If I can figure out hoe to post pics in a reply.

Banned
    You can Third Party pics really easy. I use ImgBB. https://imgbb.com/

So it’s difficult to lift(rotate) the bolt, or JUST pulling it back? And in lifting I mean really difficult. Savages typically have hard bolt lift anyway. I’m asking does the bolt just NOT lift without help or just pulling back? Sorry, I was a bit confused in your answer, if it was both or just the one. I ask because if the bolt rotates & lifts normally, or easily, but won’t pull the case back, then the problem is primary extraction.

Banned
    Delete

After I fire the bolt is hard to lift. If I can get the bolt up then its not to difficult pull back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Banned
    Ok, then it’s the case sticking in the chamber. Your bolt head and barrel chamber all look fine from the picks. Maybe little dirty or just normal haze from age. You could try polishing the chamber as Jim suggested. Also, there are a couple things you can do for a mechanical advantage in lifting the bolt/primary extraction. A longer bolt handle/knob, and also a lift kit. Many of us already have these done on our rifles. There is also some bolt polishing, firing pin tweaking, but these should not be done unless one knows what they are doing. But the bolt handle & lift kit are easy tricks and worth a try.

Banned
    the bolt looks very DRY
    some lube on the whole thing
    turn the lugs to expose the back side and lube there.
    finger smears, not dripping
    and try again....after cleaning the chamber...pic of a fired case ??

Looks like corrosion on the bolt lugs and rub marks, I would try to clean those lug recesses also.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyjake View Post
    I have my Grandfather's Savage 110 in 30-06. He was a merchant seaman and always wanted to go deer hunting but never got the chance. The rifle has an issue with not extracting after firing. A gunsmith told me it wouldn't worth to fix because it would need a new barrel. I would love to take a deer with this rifle one day. I already own a 30-06 and was wondering if I had to change the barrel maybe I could change it to another caliber? Also Grandpa was kind of a techie for his time so I don't think he would mind if I updated the stock . Any suggestion on a stock and caliber to convert to? I've never gone deer hunting myself, beside 30-06 and 308 I'm not sure what caliber to pick. I did do a search and I didn't find anything. Thanks in advance
    I converted an old '06 to 7x57. Worked beautifully.